Givi Monokey "female" adapter

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by calmconviction, Sep 27, 2017.

1. SantaFeTrailer

SantaFeTrailer social distancing since before it was cool

Oddometer:
    I got a shipment notice on April 30 saying 10 days. It reached the Shrewsbury sorting office (in US) yesterday, so hope to see it in a few days. I want to try it with a large aluminum tray I have, and also I was checking these out the other day and they seem really solid and seem to be just the size I wanted for carrying around some work files:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-...YZZFcY1XKAKObFknNZRoCK50QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
  2. Lawy

Lawy n00b

Oddometer:
    I was just searching for this on Google and found this thread. Very nice coincidence that you got the same idea around the same time :) Please keep us updated, I'm also following!
  3. SantaFeTrailer

Oddometer:
    Update:

I received the rack adapter. It seems very well made. The slots were about 1/32" too narrow, but this could well be a function of me using a Phils Farkles rack base instead of a Givi base. I did remove the Givi tank ring fixture (up for grabs).

IMG_5947.jpeg
    I first picked up that Ridgid tool box. I decided I didn't like the look of it - not really the "Givi Briefcase" idea I want. I will try with something else. Maybe I'll search the eBay for a Halliburton Zero knockoff.

IMG_5943.jpeg
    I then played around with a little prototyping. First up, a large aluminum tray. I marked out where the Givi "knobs" go so I could gut the slots.

IMG_5945.jpeg

At this point I should disclose something. I am a drooling idiot. Seriously, things that would be completely obvious to average-intelligence German Shepherds do not even occur to me. Those of you who actually graduated from third grade see where this is going, right?

IMG_5951.jpeg

Right... it won't work to have the rack 6" over the seat. OK, so much for that idea. That goes back on the scrap pile and I grab a piece of ABS sheet to play around some more.

IMG_5950.jpeg

Ah, but anyone who was NOT dropped on their head repeatedly as a small child (apparently) would have realized it was too thick.

IMG_5953.jpeg

Thankfully I have a thickness planer, so I ran it through that (planing off the cut marks in the process, because I didn't think to flip it over --- see above about my intelligence). It seems like this idea would work, but in the aluminum plate not ABS, which isn't strong enough.

IMG_5955.jpeg

At this point I was going to remove the custom Iconic latch and put it on the new tray, but then I got thinking that there was probably a much simpler way to do this, since at this point the latch is the only thing I am using. What about something like this?

Now, before I go off and order it maybe some can pipe up and tell me why it won't work.

So, there you go. This may be a handy little farkle, although at this point I am not really using it.

Attached Files:

calmconviction likes this.
  4. SantaFeTrailer

Oddometer:
    Also, and I partly blame the enablers on this thread for this, buying that one little Rigdid toolbox led me down an expensive rabbit hole. Several hundred dollars later, my garage is looking like this:
    IMG_5935 (1).jpeg

Attached Files:

5. Lawy

Lawy n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey! First of, that is a really nice looking garage haha. I kinda like the look of the Ridgid toolbox, makes it really look tough and durable (which it probably also is).

So basically this metal plate that you received would be bolted underneath whatever box you would want to use as a topbox, correct? Does the quicklock (monolock) system work to satisfaction or not? And where exactly is the release button, it seems that that would be underneath the bottom of the topbox now.

I don't think I can help you much with the design of the new tray but I will be following the thread. Perhaps if you are looking for more of a briefcase style case or topcase I can point you in the direction of the old police bikes used here in The Netherlands, if you Google "politie f650" you can find some pics. I'm not sure which brand it is but they kinda look like flat black briefcases.

Thanks for the pictures and the funny comments :)
  6. SantaFeTrailer

Oddometer:
    Gone in 60 and calmconviction like this.
  7. Gone in 60

Gone in 60 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been looking for ideas for a female Monokey adapter as well, to mount to something like your Haliburton knock-off idea. The thing I always get stumped on is a way to adapt something to make the rear latch work. You got me thinking with that hardware store spring latch, like mounting it inside the case - open the case to latch or un-latch.

I had been looking at what this guy did:

He used a cabinet door latch, that could be mounted inside the case. Like this one: https://www.amazon.com/OWACH-AL-958-1-Replace-Southco-Thickness/dp/B016QTS0QO

Looking forward to your further developments on this. Thank you for keeping the creative juices flowing!
  8. calmconviction

calmconviction Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great idea using the spring latch. Cheap and sturdy (and possibly lockable). Maybe you can use a cut out chunk of your ABS to make a bushing to better couple the small pin into the huge Givi slot.

This is also a great idea and very finished looking compared to a spring latch -- And the video was very helpful too. Thanks!
  9. RustySpokes

RustySpokes Ordinary average guy Supporter

Oddometer:
  10. calmconviction

calmconviction Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah this is another option and works somewhat oppositely. You'd mount the Caribou base to your bike, then insert either 1) Caribou mounts for your pelican, etc cases or 2) a mounting plate for a Givi topbox (then you'd insert your topbox into the Caribou-to-Givi plate.