GIVI TOOLBOX FOR R1200GS -- FINALLY!

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Applecrate, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Applecrate

Applecrate Smell It First

Oddometer:
    Several months ago Givi began selling a sturdy locking toolbox (S250 Tool Box) designed to mount on Givi pannier racks.

s250.jpg

The box is made of plastic but is strong, simple, and lockable. Until now, you couldn't use it with an R1200GS because Givi hadn't made a mounting bracket for the bike.

Givi has now released the hardware necessary to mount the toolbox on an R1200GS. This is what the mount and toolbox looks like mounted on my 2014 R1200GS:

TOOLKIT2.jpg

In the foreground the panel with the words "Givi" and "Tool Box" is a cosmetic cover to hide the metal mounting plate that actually holds the toolbox. The metal mounting plate is attached to the Givi pannier rack using the two metal tabs on either side of the rack and two attachment points on the bottom. Here is a close up of the side mounting tabs:

TOLLKIT3jpg.jpg

When mounted, access to the toolbox is tight but nothing to worry about. The toolbox mounts firmly and seems like it could handle a crash or two. The side mounting tabs use thin plastic (almost like electrician's tape) to ensure that there is little metal on metal contact. Not sure how effective it is. I suspect simply wrapping the area with good electrician's tape would be just as good.

The mounting hardware includes nuts that are nylon lined. Givi provides cosmetic caps for all visible nuts to give the mount a finished look.

TOOLKIT1.jpg

The tool kit is made for the Givi racks and I'm happy with it functionally and aesthetically. I will let you folks know if their are any problems.

By the way, I don't know if the toolbox mount will interfere with softbag brackets from wolfman or Mosko.
  2. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks nice. I actually prefer plastic when I can get it. Modern plastic is really strong and light. Would like this for the stock bars.
  3. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    No. $89.10. $159.30 for Box + Mount.

[​IMG]
    Hedonist222 likes this.
  4. Applecrate

Oddometer:
    The toolbox is the same across the board for all bikes but there are different mounting brackets. My bike ('14 GS) uses the TL5108Camkit. It is different than the S250KIT, which is apparently a universal fit. I couldn't tell you how the two kits are different.
    Wind Junky likes this.
  5. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Desce, Dogslobber and Wind Junky like this.
  6. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those are great, but the shape has limitations for certain tools. Mounting can be a bit of a challenge.
    Secret Agent Man likes this.
  7. Applecrate

Oddometer:
    The manufacturer part number is "S250". It's not $250. That said, I'm sure it cost $2.50 to make.
  8. PaulBarton

Oddometer:
    Agreed on both counts but for $5.49 vs $159.30 the ingenuity burn for the mounting is well paid for. I can get my airhead tool roll in the large one shown (just barely) for reference.
    Dogslobber and JimVonBaden like this.
  9. miker325

miker325 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd love to know the inner dimensions, especially the depth.
  10. ObiJohn

ObiJohn Screaming Banshee Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Givi box is 10"L x 3.5"W x 6.7"H, while the AgriSupply tube is 12"L x 3.25"W. A reasonable tool roll should fit in either. You can't lock the tube, you can lock the box. There's a minimum $150 price difference... for the lock? I'd bet the tube is stronger, too (harder to crush a tube with equal wall thickness).

I'm looking at the tube.
  11. PaulBarton

Oddometer:
    The tube is sturdy and watertight. it comes with a rubber gasket that seals the lid when tightened. It's not lockable but it would have to be a pretty determined thief depending on where it's mounted.
    Wind Junky likes this.
  12. Applecrate

Oddometer:
    Lock could probably be duplicated in some fashion.
    Here’s the Givi locking mechanism. It’s just a metal half circle that rotated into a cutout on the toolbox body.
    7ED80D6F-1BC4-4A02-88B4-B52B35B7F62B.jpeg
  13. PaulBarton

Oddometer:
    Does that key match the Givi bags on the bike or is it unique? If I could add the lock to my tube with a key that matches my Jesse's that would be sweet. But then I would probably be in the $50 range for my $5 tube...
  14. Mark Weeks

Mark Weeks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's a good looking little kit and should be able to mount up on my bike as well. I'm curious, are you able to fit enough in there to really make it useful?
  15. mosey.levy

mosey.levy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Love this but it does look like it would prevent Mosko Moto plate from mounting?
  16. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can fit all this and more, in my GS Emotion tool box.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  17. Applecrate

Oddometer:
    Givi sells lock kits. You can buy multiple lock sets that permit you to key all of your Givi items to the same key. Its pretty easy to swap out the lock set. I have one key that works for my tool box, topcase, and side bags. The key sets are pretty cheap. I think you can buy sets of three or five similarly keyed locksets.
  18. Applecrate

Oddometer:
    This is what I can cram in there:

90B27087-17A2-4089-90EF-E45AB15A7A03.jpeg
    Oeths likes this.
  19. Applecrate

Oddometer:
    I don’t know if the toolbox is compatible with the Mosko plate. I’d like to know myself because I really like those bags. I know that for the Mosko bags to work you have to remove the silver lock bar across the top of the rack and the two bottom support nibs. The toolbox support plate is attached to those two lower nibs, although you could probably remove the nibs and keep the screws which would allow you to keep the toolbox and still mount the Mosko plate.
    deadflagblues likes this.
  20. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another good tube option if you have the space is the larger "Mega Tube." I've used one of these fir years with no problems.

http://www.thetooltube.com/MegaTube.html

I carry an electric mini compressor, full tool roll, tire repair kit and lug wrench in my Mega Tube along with a few other items (duct tape, steel wire, pressure gauge etc).