Givi Trekker Outback 37L panniers/cases review, long book version

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Mastery, Jul 31, 2014.

1. V4FAN

V4FAN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What price was she? if you don't mind me asking, just to compare with the price here in Ireland.
  2. The Banker

The Banker n00b

Oddometer:
    EUR 14.899,-
  3. V4FAN

V4FAN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is a great price with that spec, they were available here last year at 13,950 but that was with the rubbish Suzuki panniers and fog lights etc,it didn't have an end can fitted either.
    my next bike after the 2013 650 I have will most likely be the new 1000.
  4. The Banker

The Banker n00b

Oddometer:
    I could get a good price because it's one of the last 2016 models. The new 2017 looks awesome by the way! I like the Yellow....
  5. joegopogo

joegopogo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A word of caution to anyone considering these cases. I had the same experience as Sanfordturbo, however I wasn't so lucky that I got my cases back. My cases came off somewhere between the el salvador/honduras border and the town of nacaome in honduras. I had the cases on at the border and notice they were missing when i stopped for gas at nacaome. I re-rode the area twice and did not relocate my cases. As this happened on a high traffic road through a very poor area they were likely picked up off the road never to be found again as they could have been going anywhere. Unfortunately GIVI is in denial of any wrong doing saying I should have noticed. I am looking for anyone else who has had problems with these GIVI racks/cases, or even any other cases falling off where they did not notice. I lost everything including a laptop, cameras, clothes and all the pictures of the first 4 months of what was supposed to be a 7 month trip.

I urge anyone with anything valuable in these cases to maybe put a luggage strap around the case an rack so you dont end up with your valuables bouncing down the road.
  6. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    did you do much gravel/off road with them ? i can see the plastic on the bottom for the pin holder breaking and them just falling away from there.
  7. joegopogo

joegopogo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep they definitely had some off-road time (maybe around 4000km) on them. They were on from Canada to Honduras. you are also correct, one of the bottom screws is completely gone and another is cracked. I am just uploading some pics now.
  8. joegopogo

joegopogo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very inconsistent wear on the top part of the rack. The clips also had inconsistent resistance.

Attached Files:

9. joegopogo

joegopogo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2 more

Attached Files:

10. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    yeah, the more i look at mine the more i see these are easy failure points. i think puck mounting systems will always be much better for long term use (if removable is needed). i WAS planning on putting these on both mine and my wife's bike, racked them both and picked up one set of boxes, but the more i look at them the more weary i get of the mounting system and decided to scrap plans for the second set and look for something else.

thanks for your input and i'm sorry to hear about everything you lost.
  11. GreyThumper

GreyThumper Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was riding on a fairly bad gravel road with a friend who had the same cases, and one of his popped off after a particularly bad stretch. Since then, I've used a ratchet strap on the attachment points on the cases' lids to lash them to the bike, just in case. And I just use soft luggage anyway if I know a significant part of the trip will be on poor roads.
  12. joegopogo

joegopogo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your input. Seems to me like most off the problems with these cases occur wile rough/off-road riding. Quite surprisingly so as GIVI markets them as "Off-road cases". As I am in contact with GIVI they do not seem to care about investigating why my cases came off, they are just trying to play the blame game with me. They are shrugging off the fact that they came off saying that they were likely just stolen and otherwise i should have noticed, but no mention of them asking what shape the actual rack was in or if I had notice any problems with it. Especially as I am not the only that had these fall off, you'd figure that they would want to improve there product. Although I like your idea off adding the "safety strap" this should not be necessary on a rack&case setup that carries a MSRP of nearly $1400CAD.
  13. GreyThumper

GreyThumper Long timer

Oddometer:
    I suspect this is the reason why they no longer have a quick-release system for the Dolomiti, their new aluminum case design (which also uses less plastic in its construction).

http://www.givi.co.uk/side-hardbags/Monokey/DLM36 TREKKER DOLOMITI
  14. joegopogo

joegopogo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very interesting, seems like they are still relying on the bottom screw setup (which one mine one came out and one broke). Seems like they also got rid of the plastic corner pieces on the bottom of the cases and the lids.

They also have gotten rid of the lock locking the bike to the rack. This I thought was the best feature of the Outback as it made it very easy to mount/unmount the cases. Now if your cases are stuffed to the top it might be a bit of a hassle to take your case off the rack.
  15. mosey.levy

mosey.levy Long timer

Oddometer:

This is their lower end line of cases that fit their existing racks from years ago. This is not a replacement for the trekker outback.
  16. GreyThumper

GreyThumper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh, interesting. I always assumed the Dolomitis were more expensive because the cases are full aluminum, including the corners. If you look at the interior of the Outback cases, the plastic caps on the corners actually cover holes in the case, they don't cover aluminum corners (the way, say, Touratech or Bumot cases are constructed).
  17. mosey.levy

mosey.levy Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. Gestin

Gestin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to the Givi Toolbox.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    mosey.levy likes this.
  19. mosey.levy

mosey.levy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks awesome
  20. GreyThumper

GreyThumper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice, and a smart design. IIRC, this is the only tool box out there that's made of plastic. I hope it's relatively inexpensive.
    mosey.levy likes this.