Givi Trekker Outback 37L panniers/cases review, long book version

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Mastery, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Mastery

Mastery Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer:
    I'm getting to the point that I'm starting to really love-hate this site. It costs so much money to read these forums. And yes, I'll be ordering this from either Motostorm or some place on this side of the pond if pricing isn't too astronomical (since it's GIVI, it's not going to be cheap).

GIVI site says available in March.
    Gestin and mosey.levy like this.
  2. Norsman

Norsman ...a GSophile

Oddometer:
    mosey.levy likes this.
  3. Norsman

Norsman ...a GSophile

Oddometer:
    Mine have felt pretty solid all year but then again I haven't been off-roading like I used to. When buying the outbacks I realized that the mounting parts where no where near the puck system I've used in the past on touratech panniers. I probably laid my bike down 3 dozen times on my old panniers with no issues.

After reading this I have to say my confidence in the outbacks is diminished and I wish I would have paid the extra $1,000 for another setup. But then I think back to the original post on this thread, a high speed crash and the pannier stayed on. Why... how are some falling off while simply riding and others stay on a full speed crashes?
  4. Mastery

Mastery Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer:
    I'm the OP of this thread. I can't answer your question. I don't know why it would fall apart for joegopogo. I just looked at my racks, mounts, panniers, and every connection point. I've done a ride to Alaska, wrecked at 50 MPH, and put on thousands and thousands of miles afterwards. My Givi set doesn't have any damage other than the pannier hit which I've already shown photos of in my Alaska ride report. I've had to do some work when I got back to make it worth still using but I'm still happy with it. And my connection points look just as strong as they did when I originally bought the Givi set.

It's like any other produced product. One person's iPhone is great, the next guy's breaks every other week. I would hope that Givi would do what it takes to make things right for joegopogo or at least show some concern about wanting to use his problem to investigate the product. Sounds like they won't though.
    GreyThumper likes this.
  5. GreyThumper

GreyThumper Long timer

Oddometer:
    To be fair, each case is attached to the rack at four points. You'd need two failures on the same side (upper or lower) for a case to fall off. If the cases had an inherent design or quality flaw, we'd hear more about failures. Still, I do put an extra strap if I'm riding freeways, if only because it's hard to turn back and recover a fallen case.
  6. joegopogo

joegopogo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A little update on my situation. Its been almost a month since first contact with GIVI customer care about my issue. After continuously denying they had any responsibility for the cases falling off for varying reasons such as "they must have been stolen" or "We don't believe you didn't notice them falling off", I believe they are finally looking into the issue. I gave them the details of where my bike is in stalled Costa Rica so I am hoping they are looking into it. I have worked in customer service for manufacturing companies and I can't help but think that GIVI's attitude to my problem is lackadaisical. I will keep this thread up to date, if they do come back to me with anything.
  7. anubisss

anubisss Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good thread. Just ordered 7 items for $1100 US. Outback 37L, box, box rack, windshield, pannier rack, radiator guard and something else. I am estimating a savings of about $750 over US retail but probably more once tax is figured in and if people had me pay to ship. We'll see if i get a tax bill which if i do will dispute with the info found here. Thanks for the info, it has proven quite helpful. The laminates here are better than county jail!
  8. anubisss

anubisss Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have been in contact via email and have requested that they use the tariff code I found in this thread as well. We will see what happens.
  9. sscardefield

sscardefield Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fantastic write-up and contributions from everybody, thanks. I was just about to pull the trigger on the Tusk Panniers for my KLR until I somehow managed to come across this thread. I just have one question, does anybody know if the rack for the KLR is symmetrical? I don't much care to run a 48/37 setup to compensate for an asymmetric rack. The Tusks are definitely not the best looking cases in my opinion, but I like that the rack is evenly spaced on both sides.
    mosey.levy likes this.
  10. anubisss

anubisss Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Still waiting on shipment as I order a lot of stuff. Supposedly today but we will see.
  11. anubisss

anubisss Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tracking just arrived. So, it took 10 days for them to have everything ready to ship on an order of 7 items. That works for me. I sell after market parts for Harley's for a living and I know about the wait on suppliers.
    mosey.levy likes this.
  12. anubisss

anubisss Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Says 7 days for delivery. We'll see about that.
  13. ubermick

ubermick Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You'd be surprised - normally when I order from them, it says 7 days but has ALWAYS gotten here quicker. Last order i placed, it was shipped on a Wednesday, and was on my doorstep in California on Friday. (NO idea how that happened, but I wasn't complaining!)

In other news, does anyone have any pricing info on that S250 box from Givi? Looks REALLY bloody nice.
  14. diegosaenz

diegosaenz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've used mine for 15K miles so far and never had an issue with them, you just need to make sure they are locked in.
  15. anubisss

anubisss Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well maybe they will be here Friday as I am in CA too. That would be nice in time for the weekend.
  16. Gestin

Gestin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gaz,

I contacted MotoStorm late last week about the s250, they replied within hours as usual. They are expecting to have the tool box around the end of March and they don't know the price yet since Givi hasn't released it yet.

I hope to snag one as soon as they come out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  17. anubisss

anubisss Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All my stuff shipped from motosport today. Took 10 days as I ordered the wrong rack and they had to order it after clarifying with me. 7 items in total. Says delivery next Wednesday. We'll see. I sent them the customs number I found here and asked them to use taht so hopefully they did and there are no duties issues. They have great customer service as I hounded them daily (I hate when my customers do that) and they were quick to respond and polite. They even told me the rack I needed cost less and they were going to refund the difference even though I used 5 discount codes etc. They said i should get that tomorrow as it has not been received yet. Hats off to any vendor that deals with me in a professional manner when I hound them daily.
  18. anubisss

anubisss Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got all my stuff today, shipped last Wednesday. All arrived in good condition. We'll see if i get a customs bill or not. Thanks to this forum and thread, I seem to have most of what i will need for my future travels. If you are concerned about buying from them, don't be. No way I was going to get anywhere near the same price from anywise in the US. To those taht sell this stuff here, the internet screws up many peoples business, including the one I work for. I prefer to support companies located here in the US, but not at a cost of an additional $500-$1000. I work for my money.
    GETTHUMPER2 likes this.
  19. Carphunter

Carphunter n00b rash

Oddometer:
    People who've ordered an asymetric pair... when unloaded, do you notice any uneven weight issues with the cases (doubt you would...but just checking if there's any oddness with it).
    Would assume that when loading, you'd just have to be careful to not go nuts and keep weight close side to side to avoid issues.

eyeballing the 37's, does a standard reusable grocery bag fit inside the case without issues?
  20. Gestin

Gestin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the 37L/48L pair. The unloaded weight difference between the two is too small to be noticeable when riding in my opinion.

Correct, when loading you will want to do your best to balance the contents.

The opening in the 37L is about 8.25in X 17.75in as shown here. Inside height around 14.5in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk