Givi Trekker Outback 37L panniers/cases review, long book version

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Mastery, Jul 31, 2014.

1. GreyThumper

GreyThumper Long timer

Oddometer:
    I figure there are too many variables aside from the weight of the cases themselves. It's likely that the narrower case sticks out slightly further away from the bike, so the distance of that case affects balance. If the case is narrow to accommodate a muffler, the muffler itself might make the bike slightly unevenly balanced. Even then, you're right, it's still a good idea to keep the weights of loaded cases as close to each other as possible.
  2. Carphunter

Carphunter n00b rash

Oddometer:
    thanks for the pic. just realized, though on the dl1000 2014, the racks aren't asymetrical...so i'm not contending with that.
  3. Carphunter

Carphunter n00b rash

Oddometer:
    it's gotta be in this thread, but i haven't found it... has someone got the interior dimensions of the 48l and the 37l? If someone knows the mounted width of the 48l's on a 2014+ strom, that would be good too. I think it's about 44"... but trying to confirm.
  4. Carphunter

Carphunter n00b rash

Oddometer:
    Well, Givi got back to me and said basically since the aluminum is thin, the dimensions are basically the same in and out. Not sure how much loss or constriction of the width and length there would be from the seal/gasket at the top closing...

Looking back at Gestin's post... I'm going to assume the same differences in stated dimensions that he found... I assume the hardware at the opening will be similar enough between the 37's and 48's that that should be correct.
  5. KillerDyller

KillerDyller Teabagged your drumset

Oddometer:
    I'm going to be ordering a set of the 37L's very soon from motostorm. How long did it take you guys to get your discount codes after doing reviews? I did three reviews Saturday, and still don't show any codes under my account.
  6. Carphunter

Carphunter n00b rash

Oddometer:
    mine came to my email address i used when i made the review... they don't show in your account
  7. KillerDyller

Oddometer:
    No emails aside from the initial one when I created the account. I'll give it another day or two I reckon.
  8. RCR001

RCR001 MOTO CHASER Supporter

Oddometer:
    whats everyone using as inner bags for these 37's I't doesn't look like ill need the water proof bulky ones as i am confident they are sealing up tight.
  9. Gestin

Gestin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When I do reviews on a weekend, they show up in my account during the first business day after that same weekend at some point. I think they confirm the review before the codes are sent out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. Gestin

Gestin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use the waterproof bulky ones from Givi. Outstanding quality at a great price from MotoStorm compared to US. If I ever need to strap them to the bike outside of the cases, I have a couple of waterproof bags as an option to use. To each his own.

HerbTarlek likes this.
  11. RCR001

RCR001 MOTO CHASER Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ya i guess there is the option of Racking them outside of the cases. They do look quality. Thanks for the info Gestin!
    Gestin likes this.
  12. KillerDyller

Oddometer:

You are correct, mine showed up, just took a few days. Ordered early last week, supposed to ship by Wednesday of this week.

Thanks @Mastery , this thread saved me about $400!
    diegosaenz likes this.
  13. HerbTarlek

HerbTarlek meh.

Oddometer:
    Ditto. I picked them up from MotoStorm when they had a sale on them last year.
    I thought the same in that I now have 3 waterproof bags if needed.

Gestin likes this.
  14. johnfoxllb

johnfoxllb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking at the video in the link, it would appear that the SW Motech Trax cases have metal attachment points, whereas the lower attachment points on the Givi cases are made from plastic.

There are a couple of posts on this thread indicating that on the Givi cases this is a weak point and cases have fallen off, albeit after some fairly hard use.

It occurs to me that price aside, the SW Motech fixing system is superior.

15. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    price aside, standard puck mounting as opposed to quick releases seems like a better option to me. and in all fairness, there's just a single documented failure here, search for touratech's zega pro 2 mounts and there's more failures with those boxes. as far as budget cases go the outback trekkers really can't be beat. brooks also offers a very nice budget package with the more conventional puck mount panniers.
  16. Dao1

Dao1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is this what you mean by puck mount ?
    [​IMG]
    Don't puck mount require tightening and loosening from the inside?
    If so, then what if your pannier's filled to the brim w/ stuff?
    Looks like stuff needs to be removed before you can loosen the clamp?
  17. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf High functioning sociopath

Oddometer:
    Yes
  18. mosey.levy

mosey.levy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Confirmed that mosko moto will fit as stated in earlier posts by others (thanks).

You need to remove the two screws at the bottom of the mount.

[​IMG][​IMG]

And you need to make sure the mosko mount is pushed all the way down. Not like the photo below. That position didn't work well.

[​IMG]

And then when you slip bags on you either push down hard to get over the little screw humps or you pull the bottoms of the cases outwards a bit as you're pushing down. I expect that to get easier over time as it creates a groove in the mosko plastic on the case side.

[​IMG]
  19. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    the upper bracket comes off with 2 screws each side. i'd opt for that rather then mounting the mount

just don't lose the 2 little springs.

... mounting the mount is almost a monty python skit. :D
    mosey.levy likes this.
  20. jvloyola

jvloyola Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Another happy customer from motostorm here! Ordered the pair of side panniers plus a bunch of accesories for less than what the panniers would have cost in the

No import taxes and the boxes took less than a week from italy to Texas

Super happy[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]