Givi Trekker Outback 37L panniers/cases review, long book version

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Mastery, Jul 31, 2014.

1. xit109

xit109 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone order the Givi tool box to go with the Trekker Outback?
  2. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    the S250 ?
    have you seen it available somewhere ?
  3. Gestin

Gestin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Givi.it website keeps moving the release date out a month every month since March. So now it's "available from the end of May". Yesterday it was the end of April. I check the status frequently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. dpike

Oddometer:
    yeah, i've been keeping an eye on it too. it looks like a nice versatile little box that will fit on almost any rack.
  5. xit109

xit109 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've only seen it online. Figured it didn't make it to the US yet. Guess it is still unobtanium.
  6. plutoz

plutoz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Damn, I should have come back to check this thread earlier. Just ordered some gear from Motostorm I would have included this had I seen it. Oh well, they already shipped the order...

Would be nice if the cases themselves had that 'dust cover' over the lock slot, I find mine get gummed up pretty easily....

I also noticed Givi now has a 'hard' cargo bag designed to fit on top of the panniers with waterproofing baked in UT807. Looks like an improvement over the older XS310 bag which I got last year and have used a handful of times. It is handy to have somewhere to stash things like a camera or glasses, especially if you are 2-up as the passenger can reach them easily. I use a couple mini cable locks to secure them to the pannier case and secure the zippers together when away from the bike, though if someone really wanted them a knife would remove them pretty quickly.

[​IMG]

I'm still a bit bummed that I haven't been able to track down the T499B liner bags that are now discontinued; I don't need or want the (more expensive) waterproof liner bags.
  7. plutoz

plutoz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Question about the lock re-keying process; I saw mention earlier in the thread that the top box could be re-keyed if it uses the 'black' key.

I have the 37L Kappa K-Venture (Trekker Outback lookalikes) which came with an extra lock barrel and keys. I didn't get the aluminum top box though, opting for the cheaper 'Trekker' (plastic) version, the Kappa version of this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is the Givi (top one) worth 50 euros more? You tell me!

The top box indeed uses a black key but not the same style as the panniers; it is a stubby key, very similar to the 'red' key for my older Givi box I have on my older bike. Can it be switched out for the lock that came with the panniers? I'm not too keen on starting to rip the case apart unless I know it will work!
  8. Mastery

Mastery Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer:
    You're welcome. Pay it forward somehow. Give the homeless guy a $5 bill or drop off a bag of dog food at the animal shelter. :thumb
    KillerDyller likes this.
  9. kokos79

kokos79 Nomad

Oddometer:
    Anyone knows if you can remove the top/cam part on the Givi CAM racks to install TT ZEGA panniers or similar?
  10. KillerDyller

KillerDyller Teabagged your drumset

Oddometer:
    I have a 52L Trekker (not Outback) topcase that I rekeyed with the extra barrel that was included with Outback panniers. I'm assuming the Kappa is of the same design.
  11. dpike

Oddometer:
    i'll try to remember to try this this weekend. my wife has outback trekkers on her bike and i have zega pros on mine. i would be shocked if the hoops were the same for the pucks to line up, but i'll give it a shot.
    kokos79 likes this.
  12. Applecrate

Applecrate Smell It First

Oddometer:
    The UT808 (Givi rack-mounted soft panniers) are also backordered until June 10 or 11. I think I came across one review (speculation?) that either the Touratech or Givi toolbox would shake itself loose with offroad riding. If the Givi Toolbox isn't out, must've been the Touratech.
  13. kokos79

kokos79 Nomad

Oddometer:
    Much obliged.

It's not the pucks that worry me, they can be relocated. It's the top mounting silver cam-bracket that is in the way. I would like to know if you can unscrew and remove it, leaving just the tube exposed.
  14. dpike

Oddometer:
    You can take that cam off no problem. I have before, just don't lose the springs inside
    [​IMG]
  15. Carphunter

Carphunter n00b rash

Oddometer:
    posted to the other thread about a non-release problem. anyone got a surefire trick/fix to get a case to release if it doesn't want to come off the rack? one indicator is going to red when the latch is pulled, the other isn't. don't know if this is just so new and sticky.... or mechanical issue. don't know where to start the investigation and don't want to muck it up :)

EDIT - FOLLOWUP
    Went outdide this morning, opened the lock, gave the lid a little thump and pulled the lever... opened plain and simple and came right off.
  16. FlightRider9

FlightRider9 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I recently picked up a 2011 Triumph Tiger 800XC. Does anyone know if the Givi Trekker Outback 58L top box prevents the 37L side cases from opening up. I commute to work on the bike and would prefer a bit more trunk space without having to have the side panniers on all the time (so I can still lane split). I plan to do some solo adventure riding and hopefully some trips with my wife therefore the extra space would be handy. Also, I am a little concerned about having too much weight at the back up high. I am about 180 lb and my wife is about 140 lb. The bike can handle up to about 490 lb.
  17. KillerDyller

KillerDyller Teabagged your drumset

Oddometer:
    DSC_0378.JPG

Trekker outabacks performed flawlessly on a trip to the BRP. No water issues, and it rained a lot.
    tattoo Dave and markinthailand like this.
  18. Mastery

Mastery Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer:
    Liked them so much on my '07 DL650, that I just ordered them for my '12 DL650 Adventure. The OEM Suzuki hard bags (made by SW-Motech and just like their TRAX bags) were okay...but the Outback's are nicer so I'm replacing them.
  19. Good Road Hunting

Good Road Hunting n00b

Oddometer:
    Just ordered a set from motorstorm as well.
  20. markinthailand

markinthailand Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got a full set now. Any ideas on attaching a pelican box to the rear Givi rack (the metal one)? I had it sorted out for my old Hepco Becker rack, but the locking piece that sticks up is in the way. The idea is to switch the top box for the pelican box as needed.

Any ideas? Shim it up?