Givi Trekker Outback 37L panniers/cases review, long book version

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Mastery, Jul 31, 2014.

1. markinthailand

markinthailand Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Brand new case is leaking through the lid. Not the seal. This is the second time this has happened.

It only happens to the left case. It might be getting more rain on it based on where I park the bike -- maybe run off from the roof.

I know it is the lid since when I open it up there is water in the lid -- I think the leak is from the front and it runs down when I open the lid.

Any ideas? Am contacting Givi Thailand today.

IMG_3850.jpg IMG_3849.jpg
  2. Norsman

Norsman ...a GSophile

Oddometer:
    This is why they sell waterproof inner bags. I don't think they claim that the panniers are waterproof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. Applecrate

Applecrate Smell It First

Oddometer:
    I've had mine for some time. It's the attachment bracket that I don't have. I'll be getting the first one Givi US gets, but it won't be available until September.

The toolbox itself is thick hard plastic with a lock that can be keyed to luggage. It's not particularly big but it'll do the trick.
    xit109 likes this.
  4. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    which bracket are you getting the universal one (which now looks like it's a kaapa product) or the givi specific bracket ?
  5. markinthailand

Oddometer:
    They do claim they are waterproof, but not submersible. :-)

We're trying to figure out if it is possible it was from when the box opened and water ran in. Or if there is a leak. Testing yesterday with the hose was inconclusive. So I'll be figuring that out by putting the lid in water and seeing if there is in fact a leak or not.

Does anyone have the waterproof inner bags? Are they worth it? I'm sure it depends on your application, and I'm likely to put heaving tools/stoves/etc. in the box and clothing on top, so would only use them when hotel hopping.
  6. Applecrate

Oddometer:
    I have the inner bags. They are essentially quality drybags that can be used inside the luggage or fastened on top as duffel bags. I have not tested them but they are clearly waterproof. They open from the top; to close you roll the top down and alligator clip the ends down. They are appropriately sized for each pannier and/or top box. They reduce the interior space a bit because the material is fairly thick, but no more than a poorly fitting cordura/ballistic nylon liner. I suspect they'd be waterproof even fastened on top of the panniers. Good kit. I've been planning on doing a review of the Givi line up (liners, the new UT808 medium weight soft bags, and the tool kit).
  7. Applecrate

Oddometer:
    The mount specific to the R1200GS PL5108CAM side case racks, which permits mounting the tool box on the left side. It is a Givi product unless there is going to be a rebranding in the next few weeks.
  8. markinthailand

Oddometer:
    Thanks! This is helpful.

How do they work if you pack them outside the bags? Do they bulge out a lot and are had to get in? What I'm thinking is if I use them for travel and want to just grab the bags and carry them into the hotel/house where I'm staying, rather than pulling off the cases.
  9. Applecrate

Oddometer:
    Here you go.

markinthailand likes this.
  10. Gestin

Gestin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Love my Givi tool box. Rock solid mounting. Helps keep my panniers space more available. I have the toolbox keyed alike with my outbacks.

My only complaint at this point is the little key dust cover. It doesn't fit super snug and is a little flimsy, but I might add a thin piece of electrical tape around the part that inserts to keep it more snug when inserted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    tattoo Dave and markinthailand like this.
  11. markinthailand

Oddometer:
    I really didn't need to see that @Gestin... :-)
    Gestin likes this.
  12. GS Weaver

GS Weaver idiot

Oddometer:
    I know I am resurrecting an old thread, but I just ordered my 37l side cases and rack from Motostorm because of this thread!
    I ran the same parts through Revzilla and it was $300 cheaper from Italy. We shall see about the customs fees, but I'm not too concerned.
  13. FlightRider9

FlightRider9 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Man, mine were like 40% off because I used the $20 off per each $200 code from reviewing their products. Yeah, Motostorm is the way to go. I did get the FedEx customs fee bill but I called them and told them they used the wrong code and gave them the proper tax code which should equate to zero tax. They said okay, you don't have to pay while we investigate but it can take up to 6 months to process your challenge. I really don't care how long it takes to process the challenge as I know they coded it incorrectly. So far the Trekker Outback cases have worked really well for me. I managed to mount two tool/fuel tubes which I use to carry all my tools or extra fuel (30oz MSR fuel bottles) on those longer trips. I did drop the bike a couple of times (without the side panniers on) and the rack held up just fine.

Attached Files:

Bombs4breakfast and GS Weaver like this.
  14. FlightRider9

FlightRider9 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here are a few more pics of my tool/fuel tube setup. I have one mounted on each side using jerry rigged conduit clamps and heavy duty UV resistant zip ties. Oh, I also added some thick electrical tape and a bunch of rubber grommets to the bolts in order to keep any vibes at bay and reduce metal fatigue.

Attached Files:

15. GS Weaver

GS Weaver idiot

Oddometer:
    The discount codes are key! It was around $25 per code with the exchange rate, saved an additional $75.
  16. PARIAH

PARIAH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ended up getting mine from Tour & Ride. Great prices and saved $200 from the Zilla site.
  17. squish

squish Out of the office.

Oddometer:
    I've had the bags for a while. I got a great deal on an Africa Twin set knowing I was going to get an AT soon...

Or so I thought.

Well some things changed and I decided to mount the bags up to my DL650

So we will see if I like them. I've been using monokey bags for 20 years. The same bags on about 6 different bikes

So I am hoping I can get some decent use out of these.
    I'm planning on mostly on-road or graded gravel road use.
  18. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This thread and some YouTube reviews of competitor's cases convinced me to go with the Trekkers. I received the mounting rack yesterday and installed it today. The right side didn't fit very well but I was able to get it installed after some persuasion. It also had a nick that went all the way through the powder coating which I'm confident was there from the factory.

I haven't purchased the cases yet but I'm going with dual 37 liters. I haven't decided which vendor I'll be using.
  19. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the mention. I had never heard of Tour & Ride. I ordered mine from them too. Significant savings over Zilla. I've never had a bad experience with Zilla but $690 from T&R versus over $800 from Zilla is too big a discrepancy to pass up.
    PARIAH likes this.
  20. squish

squish Out of the office.

Oddometer:
    I got the bag mounts I ordered up.
    2012 Suzuki DL650.
    My bike is mostly stock, there's a top box and that's about it as far as the bag mounts are effected.

overall the quality is slightly lower then that of SWmotec's bag mounts.
    These mount up to be on the bike all the time. made of decently scaled steel and aluminium parts
    There were areas where the steel was already showing through the paint.

Ordered through Twisted Throttle
    As has always been my experience with them, it's been easy. The frames took a while to come but the shipping was free and I got them when they said I would.

Finish is a a rough texture semi gloss black.

Instructions could be a little more clear in some areas, especially on which side of the passnger pegs the arms mount to (inside or outside)

The hardware is black oxide finished and I don't expect it to last very long before it starts to rust.
    Once in place I repainted all the hardware with rustoloem flat black paint.
    I'll be replacing most of it with grade 8 zinc finished hardware or stainless steel for the bit that joins the bag frames together.

The welds were decent with a minimum of splatter, the stamped bits of steel has nicely rounded edges and corners.
    The tube thickness and diameter match that of the expected use of the bags.
    The open ends of the tubes were plugged but the plugged had already been pushed in and it will be replaced with something else soon.

I'm surprised by how short the "mushroom" bolt is. that is the bolts that capture the lower part of the bag.

I'm going to be getting longer ones of these and using a nylock nut on the other side
    There was no threadlock present, so that was another fix.

Everything lined up with some serious massaging. especially the right side passenger peg mount. That needed a lot of pushing and tugging to get into place.

The bag racks do lift up the rear rack by about 3.5mm But there's no movement in the rear rack or the bag mounts once everything is in place.

Overall start to finish it took me an hour.
    I had to take off the top box, and mount to get to the rack.
    I deep cleaned the areas of the bike that have been buried under the rack and top box so that added some time.
    And I needed to paint the hardware that is exposed. (I live right next to the ocean if I don't keep stuff from rusting at the outset my life is a pain in the neck when it comes time to fix things or take things apart.

First trial run with the bags will be tonight.