Givi Trekker Outback 37L panniers/cases review, long book version

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Mastery, Jul 31, 2014.

1. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My cases arrived yesterday. I mounted them to the rack and they fit very well. The cases were packed as well as I've ever seen anything packed but one of the cases had a light scratch in the top. At my age I'm not an overly picky fellow so I'm not returning it - like the nick through the powder coating on one of the racks I'm just chalking it up to Italian quality.

I also received the Monokey mounting plate for the 42L Outback Top Box (not purchased yet). I suspected when I was installing the racks last weekend that everything would have to come apart to mount the top plate. And it did.

Installing the mounting plate went poorly at first and then I changed my strategy (or strategery if you prefer). I had to de-install the right side rack so that I could get the mounting plate and grab bar base to line up easily to the bolt hole into the frame (rearward of the seat). So then it was a matter of re-installing the other bolt holding the rack to grab bar to the frame. And that was where things went awry. In the process of persuading everything to line up properly to get the bolt started I crossthreaded the bolt into the frame (under the body plastic).

It was my fault for cross threading the bolt but I'm not especially pleased with the tolerances of the rack to its mounting points. I could choose to believe that with 4,500 easy miles on it my Vstrom frame has flexed out of tolerance to Givi's design dimensions. I could choose to believe that the frame hasn't flexed and my frame came off the Suzuki line five eighths to three quarters of an inch out of tolerance to Givi's design dimensions. Or I could choose to believe that Givi's design dimensions and tolerances simply are not very accurate to the 2016 Vstrom. I suppose it is also possible that there are truly two different Givi cam rack part numbers for 2011-2013 versus 2014-2016 and that Revzilla sent me the 2011-2013 racks. I'll call Revzilla today and see if that's a possibility. [Called Revzilla. There is only one part number for 2011-2016 Vstrom 650 Outback cam racks.]

So I'll spend tomorrow atoning for my sin. Even if I drill and tap the mounting point the rack still isn't going to line up without persuasion. I suppose I should have returned the rack after it didn't line up the first time but like most males I thought I could make it work... and I did until I screwed it up. [I did not drill and tap it. I just drilled out the threads and put a longer bolt in with a nut on the bottom with blue threadlock.] With everything as loose as possible, including the allen bolts in the racks themselves I was able to get everything lined up except the rear cross brace and the right bottom passenger mounting point. Getting the rear cross brace bolted up required a lot of persuasion. I had to drill out the right bottom passenger mounting point because it would not line up with any amount of persuasion or force.

If you have a later model Vstrom and are going with Outback panniers you might exercise better judgement than me when trial fitting the racks. If they appear to be about as far out of tolerance as they could possibly be you might save yourself some future hassle and return them for another set and hope that the next set fits better.
  2. squish

squish Out of the office.

Oddometer:
  3. squish

Oddometer:
    First ride with the used cases on new racks.

I've had bags before, mostly Givi monokeys but Ive also had some Happy Trails and have ridden with stock bags on some bikes.

Handling around town is totally unaffected by the bags. however they are WIDE on the bike and make lane sharing, especially on surface streets a challenge.
    The bags on my DL650 are wider then any other part on the bike.

Overall the bags are decent quality. The mounting point, especially the lower ones which engage in the frame do not inspire a large amount of confidence and I'll be running a safety strap around the bags just for added security.

The latch on my bags is still very new, and it's an awkward deal to use with the grab points being these little ears that stick off from the side.
    It's also overbuilt but under designed and relies on a lot of plastic, but uses a big chunky bit of stainless steel for the catch making it kind of heavy.

Also taking the bags off the bike is a little challenging to do with two hands but I suspect that with time I'll figure out the right way to hold the bag, pull the lever and move the bag. I doubt I'll remove the bag often with it full of stuff.

I'm looking forward to using these bags as I'm going to start using my bike for more and more errands now that gas prices have climbed to near $4.00 a gallon again.

Overall, I don't think I would have bought these bags for full price. But for the price I paid for the bags and racks. I'm happy with my set up.
    And with the bags having some cosmetic damage so I'm not going to worry about getting them scratched or otherwise banging them up a little.
  4. GreyThumper

GreyThumper Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree, I bought mine used as well. I've found it much easier to load and unload stuff by using inner bags with the panniers, so the "quick release" system isn't very useful for me. If I were going to pay full price for a set of panniers, I'd go with a less convenient but more solid (IMHO) puck and tab setup.
  5. squish

Oddometer:
    My issue with bags is that I keep my bike down a narrow walkway, with just enough room for my bars if I wiggle em, So I have to take the bags off each time I ride the bike and want bags. I also use liner bags, if for no other reason then to keep my stuff from getting all black aluminum oxide on it.

On tours I'll be leaving the bags on the bike unless it's a sketchy part of town.
  6. matho...

matho... Μιά ζωή OnOffάς!

Oddometer:
    Hi there,I just bought a pair o trekker outback.37lt&48lt for my F8.I am wondering how really waterproof are they???I'm a bit cautius.Is there a need of purchasing a couple of inner waterproof bags or no?...TIA
    PS I really did not read all the 24 pages of the thread if there is anyone mentioned my questions...
  7. kokos79

kokos79 Nomad

Oddometer:
    Go to Praktiker, get one of these and go round the sealing surfaces of the boxes. I did the same to my Outback top box and it became completely waterproof.

:beer :gerg
    matho... likes this.
  8. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have not had issues with any of my three Outback Trekker boxes leaking during hours of riding in heavy rain.
    GS Weaver likes this.
  9. GS Weaver

GS Weaver idiot

Oddometer:
    I don't ride in the rain much (or at least, try not to) but I've sprayed mine directly with the hose while washing and not a drop inside.
  10. AustinBoxer

AustinBoxer n00b

Oddometer:
    I’m a bit late to the discussion and had to reset my PW to comment, but wanted to thank OP for this wonderful post.
    I’ve already ordered my gear from MotoStorm (and they are a bit late in sending it to me), so the details about the import duty are particularly timely for me (hopefully fedex has gotten a little smarter).

Bravissimo!
  11. AustinBoxer

AustinBoxer n00b

Oddometer:
    I just got my bill from FedEx yesterday - they had classified my cases under 8708925000 - Muffler/exhaust parts.

After much staring and examining of my luggage, I astutely came to the conclusion that luggage is distinctly NOT a muffler.

Called FedEx and got a human one the first ring. Explained my invoice ($58) was incorrect, that that the tariff schedule was what the Op had posted. Voila- amount was so little they just closed it.

OP- I owe ya a large frosty beer!!
    V4FAN likes this.
  12. Craneguy

Craneguy British Hooligan

Oddometer:
    I just got back from a 3,500 mile mixed hotel/camping run with my new black 37L panniers.

They work well but occasionally leaked a bit. It's possible something got caught in the seal as I had them pretty stuffed. I had an 80L Givi drybag across the back seat and one end rubbed the paint off the top of one of the panniers. I have the foam strips, but didn't fit them as I also got the carrying handles. The bag rubbed where the handles weren't.

Once I have the coin I'm going to switch to the 48L version. I'd rather have the same stuff in bigger cases so it's easier to get in and out. I carried the bare minimum of clothes, but even with the liner bag it was a struggle some days to stuff it in. Now that I've ridden with them, I don't think the extra few inches of width will affect my filtering. We do very little of it on tour as we're not often in heavy commuter traffic. The roads in Spain and Portugal are surprisingly empty!

Attached Files:

13. needles

needles Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Inmates-

I've decided to replace my 2003 V-Strom 1000 with a 2019 R1250 GS. I've LOVED my VStrom. We've had about 120,000 smiles together but this serial monogamist wanted to try something else. My 100k ride report is here: https://danradigan.com/2015/03/21/one-v-strom-100000-miles//

I've decided on the Givi Trekker Outback but I had a few questions on them.

1. Can you get the 58L top case and the 37 or 48 side cases and open the side cases with the top case on?

2. My Givi E52 Maxia (https://www.shopbmwmotorcycle.com/products/givi-e52-maxia-2-topcase-and-mount-kit-for-bmw-motorcycles ) did an amazing job keeping the contents cool in warmer climates. Do the Outbacks do the same even though they are metal? I keep insulin in my top case so thermals are important to me.

3. Do the black cases get hotter inside than the silver ones?

4. On the side cases, is there any collective wisdom around 37 or 48? I think I've read some guys go for one of each.

Thanks!

Dan