Givi V46 top case question

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by titusbyronicus, Apr 29, 2009.

1. titusbyronicus

titusbyronicus n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey all.

My new V46 top case for my Versys arrived today. I think I'm going to be really happy with it. I was playing around with it and I'm kind of stumped on one thing - on the inside, in the middle of the top half of the case, there's a plastic piece that looks like it's a place to store insurance and registration documents, but I can't figure out how to open it up. Could be I'm just being an asshat, but I fiddled with the latch until I thought I might break it, and then decided I should ask for help before I really do mess it up, which will make me a sad monkey.

Here's the compartment and the latch:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There aren't any instructions for this in the manual that came with the case. What gives? Any idea how to open it?
  2. dmac57

dmac57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it's kinda goofy, but you squeeze that thing together a little, and just pry the big red flap down. It's a friction fit catch.
  3. titusbyronicus

titusbyronicus n00b

Oddometer:
    Ok, that's what I thought, but squeezing those tiny nubs together is ridiculously hard. After grappling with it for a bit I realized I can just pull hard on the corner of the red flap to open it.

Thanks for the tip, dmac.
  4. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    it'll definitely open, but, you feel like you're going to break it everytime. such a pita, I don't use it..
  5. taki5

taki5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the E52 i bought brand new is missing the black round post in the middle of that latch, makes it much easier to open the flap, almost too easy.
  6. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    Heh! Well said. I leave my insurance, registration, and (often) travel documents like passports in there. That way I only need it at border crossings or if I were to get pulled over :D
  7. Wingspan

Wingspan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I took that thing out of mine. All it did was take up space. Helmets fit much easier in the case without it.
  8. dancy

dancy Undescended Testicle

Oddometer:

:nod
  9. Ramata

Ramata Wind

Oddometer:
    +1, it didn't allow the case to close with a dual sport helmet in it.
  10. titusbyronicus

titusbyronicus n00b

Oddometer:
    it's a shame, the case and assembly seem to be pretty good quality overall but there are a couple of things that make me wonder if anybody bothered to try it out: the first is the crappy latch, and the second is the rubber cords that limit the case to opening up to 90 degrees are a little too short, so the lid tends to want to slam shut on my fingers while i'm digging around in there...

well, anyway, at least now i can ditch the friggin backpack!
  11. Hoon

Hoon Ratty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The latch on mine has done 6 or 7 years without any problems and you could always fit different cords (sink plug chain/thin nylon cord?) so you get the length you need.
  12. titusbyronicus

titusbyronicus n00b

Oddometer:
    Good to hear you like it. You're right, these are really minor issues and I'm pleased with it overall - my post came off a little whinier than I meant it to :)
  13. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    and the cords eventually stretch out to be a decent length. Plus you can always pull one or both cords off if you don't like it.