Gizmos & Gadgets

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Arbey Canuck, Dec 19, 2001.

1. Arbey Canuck

Arbey Canuck Ageless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I love the ‘Equipment Threads’ because it has certainly educated me on the gizmos and gadgets that are now considered part of today’s bike riding necessities. I marvel at what you folks plug in, add on and scratch your heads over … to get it ALL just right.

Please don’t get offended if I say it’s not for me … because it’s obviously great for you!!!! Me … I guess I just evolved from a much different perspective. Just having the bike was all that was required. Get on it … ride the snot out off it … and get off it!!!! Whadaya mean riding boots … I got shit kickers … whadaya mean gloves and closed face helmets … I got this ‘Super Dave’ special … okay eye protection maybe … whadaya mean tank bags and other things … strap it on your back … or sit on it … or leave it behind … let’s rock!!!!

I used to teach hockey in the summers and would carry my full equipment on my back … with my hockey sticks across my chest and through the bag straps. Same thing with my golf clubs/bag … and my course was a 45 min backroads blast away!!!

My first accessories and really the only mainstay in my garage to this day … bungee cords!!!!

Yes I’ve progressed since then … I don’t go anywhere without a full face for serious riding or eye protection if cruising with my other helmet (I’ve actually only worn that one once … I don’t cruise much)!!! I wear riding boots and gloves along with appropriate jacket … still nothing more than jeans though … unless cold or wet!!! And I did break down and get the system cases & heated grips … yup I’m evolving!!!!

BUT plug things in … whadya mean!!! Yes … I do have an accessory socket on the bike … but err … got nothing to plug in. As I scour through the house and garage I realize I have absolutely nothing … not one single gizmo that I can plug into my bike … let alone something I might need!!!! Makes me feel deprived … that I’m missing something and that sadly … I can’t add wisdom to all the rigging up and wiring dilemmas!!!!!

GPS maybe?????? I dunno …never been lost before … have always known I’m going way faster than the limit … how much exactly … is that really important … speedo and tach are purrddyy good and given me the essentials I need to know!!!

Heated vests, gloves, pants, helmet & dick warmer maybe????? I dunno … maybe the dick warmer … I kinda like that!!!!! When I get cold … I put on another layer … packed in my wonderful state of the art system cases!!!!!!!!!!

Radar detector maybe????? I dunno … illegal in Canada … when I was younger I just never stopped … now that I’m much older and much more responsible … I just pay more attention and ride smarter. Probably will get killed when I go out of my riding territory and into the States … because slowing down will be difficult!!!!!

Devices for tunes & conversation????? I dunno … ride the cage is my perspective!!!! I’ve grown to love the solitude within the confines of my helmet … focusing on the present realities of the ride in progress … or escaping reality with wondrous thoughts that flow out of the ride in progress.

Seats, windscreens and other comfy things????? I dunno … I’ve never spent a penny on anything that didn’t increase horsepower / torque or improve handling.

All to say … I’m sure there are a few of you who can laugh with me an identify where I’m coming from on all or some of the above!! Plus there are certainly those who would say …’Grab a brain buddy’ (scot accent please) get with the program!!!!! The good thing though … any ride … on any bike … with whatever gizmos and gadgets … is a good ride!!!!!

As I first mentioned … I love the equipment threads … and who knows what I’ll learn next … and just what you all might influence me to acquire next!!! After all I do have the accessory socket … I do have heated grips … and I do have system cases!!!! Yup I’m evolving dammit!!!

p.s. anyone know where I can get that ‘dick warmer’

Cheers,
  2. Rod

Rod Wacko Ocker

Oddometer:
    Yep a mate of mine ownes a webb order bis

\\www.naughty.com.au you can mail order a pennis pump if you wish dont' know if thye have the BeeMEE conectors though:evil
  3. Arbey Canuck

Arbey Canuck Ageless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Autographed by Austin Powers????

Yah baby!!!!!!!
  4. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    I have a different view of GPS. My GPS has gotten me sooo lost, it's comical :)

And that's the beauty of it. You see roads going off into nowhere well before you actually see the turnoff.
  5. drholm

drholm Easily Amused

Oddometer:
    Arbey...you're a breath of fresh air...rock on!:lol1
  6. stevenknapp

stevenknapp Long timer

Oddometer:
    The GPS can be helpful to find that oddball road you never would have found. It was also helpful for me on long days. Only 645.5mi to the hot tub.....644.4...643.2...whoo hoo! :): Stilll it's a toy. I've lived without it in the past and I could do so again.

Heated bits are nice just to keep from needing to stop often. Riding near Lake Michigan can change the temps big time. Often a road will go near then far...again, not needed, but nice.

I agree tho, less is more. I'd even consider a smaller lighter cheaper bike...what do I need this BMW for? :):

Only concern would be carrying stuff on your person. Crash and that stuff might do ya more harm than good. But you knew that I'm sure.

Any ride is a good ride.