Glacier/Montana Area Advice

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by RockyRaccoon, Aug 30, 2002.

1. RockyRaccoon

RockyRaccoon Found:Gideon's Bible

Oddometer:
    Not a m/c trip, alas, but the SO and I are flying to Spokane and then driving to Glacier National Park and environs. We have several days free and clear and were wondering if those familiar with the area can recommend any interesting places to:

a) see
    b) stay
    c) eat

We'll be prepared either to camp or motel. Our MO is to get a good map and just explore, no real schedule. For accommodations we prefer interesting over fancy. A cheap, clean, quiet motel or cabin with windows that open and interesting places to walk is considered a good find.

Thanks
  2. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
    We were in Missoula for 2 days, one day my partner had to get his roadster serviced so I set out alone, rode up to flathead lake. the road to flathead was kind of flat/slow/lot of traffic. I went up the east side to big fork. neat little town, has the only 1 mile long stretch of class 5 rapids in the world or some such thing but if theres no snow melt going on its not class 5. I rode back down the west side. as nice as the lake is the road on either side is nothing spectacular considering the area. when we left missoula the next day we took rt 200 to 83 north towards big fork. now that roads enough to make you want to move west. fairly straight but endless forest of the big tall red barked pine trees that are just spectacular. once we got to glacier we rode thru west to east and stayed at the koa in St. Marys. Theres not a whole lot on the east side, one fairly expensive restaurant/hotel/lodge, a few smaller burger joints, gas and not much else, however if you do stay there you will head back thru the park east to west in the morn with the sunrise providing great views. its the same in the afternoon heading west to east, the sun really helps the views. in retrospect I'd say that rt 83 might be the place to find something off the beaten track, it was really really really nice. My friend Jim told me the pines are pondersoa pines and one of my regrets from the trip is not taking more pics of them, they are so cool. bring a digi cam and take lots of pics, I didnt take enough and I regret it. but I got some good ones. good luck.

Attached Files:

3. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    that pic brings back some memories. as I stand quite a bit on my gs, and I was as I pulled up to this small curb as I got close I realized I was pulling up to a freaking abyss. damn near froze me, as I'm a little timid about heights. some of these curbs are a joke. they wouldnt stop a skateboard. be a little carefull as they really drop off into nothing but air. and watch out for mice. meese? mooseses?

Attached Files:

4. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    now I'm jealous, but hey, a year ago I didn't know where glacier park was, now I r an expert.

Attached Files:

5. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    you had to get me looking at these pictures. I'm quitting my job, leaving new york to george patakis discretion, oops, he doesn't have rudy to lead him around anymore, oh well the hasidics will tell him what to do, hey f this I'm moving west.

Attached Files:

6. RockyRaccoon

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Nachtflug. Here ya go...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anytime you want more, let me know and I'll go outside and take some fresh ones for you. They grow like weeds here. :):
  7. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    Oh my God!!!! One of my all time favorite places in the world...Glacier

Many Glacier Hotel, http://www.manyglacier.com/ one of the most stunning views inside and out. There were a series of lodges built, each one a days horseback ride apart to cross the Rockies. All with a diff theme. This is one of the last ones and it is a Swiss theme....it ain't cheap.

Ya gotta hike to Grinnell (sp) Glacier, about 15 miles round trip...well worth it.

Stop for breakfast at a cheapo dinner Two Sisters outside the east entrance of the Park.. Damn, can those two chicks cook.

Drive Highway To The Sun Road, just cause ya gotta...pretty but soooooo slow due to traffic
  8. RockyRaccoon

Oddometer:
  9. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    great pics kurt. I was told that the tour buses had reached the end of the line (unsafe!) a few years back and Ford stepped in and completely refitted them with new drivetrain, suspension and most importantly brakes as a PR/donation kind of thing, for big bucks out of their pocket. (hope they didn't put firestones on them)

Glaciers the kind of place you see once and will forever feel like your there when seeing more pictures of it. I'd go back without much persuasion.

Attached Files: