Global Map Garmin Compatible Map for Mexico

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Mexico, Central & South America' started by mikepa, Mar 27, 2009.

1. mikepa

mikepa SideCzarist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seattle, WA in the Great Pacific NorthWET (USA)
    Has anyone purchased and used the Global Map Mexico mapset for Garmin GPSs?:

I've seen posts about the Bicamaps and E32 products, and am *hoping* someone might be able to give a qualified answer to the eternal question, what is the best map product to buy for Mexico?

Thanks and Regards,
  2. pepebaja

pepebaja Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Valle de Guadalupe Baja California Norte MEXICO
    I will give you my personal input on e32 and bicimapas.
    Bicimapas has autorouting which i tested on streets in Tijuana and Ensenada and are almost spot on. Topo contours are greater and much more accuarte on e32. Both are great products and support from both owners is outstanding. They like your feedback for upgrades.
    I strictly ride off road in Baja. I live in the US, but i have a house in Tijuana and my weekend retreat house in Valle de Guadalupe which lies between Ensenada and Tecate and my comparison of the streets and dirt trails in Baja are compared and on my garmin 276c i have both loaded and i cycle back and forth depending if i am on street or dirt.
    One thing i need to mention is that the e32 map is the most up to date map which is reflected on streets that are not even shown on bicimapas atlas 2009.
    I also have lbmaps and fugawi which i scanned all my baja topo maps.
    In Baja, due to ejidos and ranchers fencing off areas, "new" dirt road or trails will show up so rule of thumb is travel most widely used dirt road .

:norton
  3. mikepa

mikepa SideCzarist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seattle, WA in the Great Pacific NorthWET (USA)
    Hola Pepe!

Thanks for the feedback. My main interest for my next trip is maps for tbhe Barranca del Cobre area (I'm sure you know, Copper Canyon). Do you happen to know which has better coverage there, E32 or BiciMapas?

Gracias de antemano por su respuesta,
  4. pepebaja

pepebaja Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Valle de Guadalupe Baja California Norte MEXICO
    Mike:
    I compared and "old" big dog tracks for the copper canyon and following his routes i noticed e32 has better detail.
    Maybe other riders that have have done such route can give us feedback