Globie's New Ride

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by akjohn, Jun 25, 2005.

1. akjohn

akjohn AKjohn

Oddometer:
    On the ride home this evening a GS rider pulled up beside me and flagged me over to the side of the road. I didn't recognize him right away but I did notice that he had a shit-eatin grin beaming through his helmet visor. Turns out it was Globaldude riding the almost-new GS he bought (I should say stole) at the impound auction. The thing isn't even due for 600 mile service. Other than a couple of scuffs, the bike looks great.
    Congrats on your new ride Globaldude. :D
  2. globaldude

globaldude AdrenelineJunkie

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the compliment Akjohn. You are right, I am a happy Globie right now! :D I've already put 100 + miles on it since 8:30 this evening after charging the battery a few hours. Seems it hasn't been ridden in a year, and it had exactly 368 miles when I bought it. :lol3 I'll look for you at Laguna Seca July 10th.

Thanks also to Akrider who gave me a lift out to the auction and lots of technical support as I became acquainted with my new ride. It is a 2002, just like his, and his manuals made for real fascinating reading tonight. :deal

Later,

Globaldude
  3. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Congrats Globie !... remember, the GS takes more than 2 people to push it back up onto the road :evil :rofl :thumb
  4. globaldude

Oddometer:
    Legion,

Hardee har har.

You know, this just goes to show how misinformed you are. After getting some help turning the bike around in the muck and the goo, I RODE it out, so there! "Push it out, indeed!

Globaldude
  5. dapman

dapman Graphics Guru

Oddometer:
    Mike, Send me a PM... Wonderin' 'bout yur TransAlp plans... :D
  6. globaldude

Oddometer:
    Hi Dapman,

I PM'd you. Give me a call when you get a chance. 250-0327.

Globaldude
  7. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:

'bout time you made the move... congratulations :wink:
  8. akjohn

akjohn AKjohn

Oddometer:
    A good bike left on the side of the garage...Doesn't take long for us vultures to start circling. :evil
    No offense dapman...I was right there too. As I watched Globie take the Huffman exit Saturday evening I was thinkin....Hmmm wonder what he is going to do with that cool Honda?
    jb
  9. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
    maybe you should put one of those orange flags on this one, that way I can see you in the swamp

hurry back from LALA land and you can break it in on the way to McCarthy, there are several swampy areas out there :evil

Scot
  10. globaldude

Oddometer:
    Knark, knark, knark! You and Legion are just a barrel of laughs. Fair warning, I am a very patient guy, and I have an excellent memory. So, when your turns come (and they will) I'll be there to "share the fun" so to speak! :lol3

Fighter, thanks for the welcome aboard. Except for four kids and college, graduate and law school expenses I might have stepped up previously. :deal Glad to be on board, finally! :D Now I just need some time to ride! :wink:
  11. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
    seriously though congrats on the new ride

I'm just a little jealous, GS envy??
  12. globaldude

Oddometer:
    Thanks Scot, I am enjoying the new ride, I must say. :D

I'm starting to get the whole GS thing now. It is an excellent bike. Takes some getting used to the klunky transmission, but once the thing starts moving the magic begins. And, I've got to admit, I won't miss the whole chain, sprocket, innertube crap. :eek1

That said, I still love my KLR's (the single best value in motorcycling, I do believe) and the Transalp is sweet too. Kind of like boats in Alaska, you need several different ones to access ALL the goods. :evil

Have already had a couple schedule changes, but they take me out of State more than before, so McCarthy is looking real dicey for me. I'm gone July 7-27th and most of the rest of this year. I am going to do my best to keep next June open for D2D, however. :ear

Can't wait to try the GS on the D2D. I rented one from Keith Hull one year and it was nice, but it was my first time on the bike and it was a rental, so I rode conservatively (I hate when that happens) because Keith actually expected the bike back in similar condition to when I left, imagine. Talk about a "style" cramper! :lol3

Thanks for the invite and your other generous assistance.

Globaldude
  13. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
    thanks for stoping by to show it off

what a deal you got
  14. globaldude

Oddometer:
    My pleasure Scot, happy to share (to a point!).

Kind of like the wife saying "you can look at her all you want darling, just don't touch" :lol3

Globie
  15. globaldude

Oddometer:
    Hey Gruvers,

I'm looking for thoughts on crash bars for the GS, not that I'll ever need them, of course. I just think they look cool!

Seriously, Friar Mike likes his Wunderlich's, Harry Swam likes the Hepco Becker's, GusGus likes the HB's too, and no one seems to like the Beemer stock ones.

Please send me your thoughts soon. I've already ordered the Wunderlich's, but have time to change the order so your feedback would be most appreciated. :D

Globie
  16. Cephus

Cephus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    .....did you ever find out if the 2004 KLR rear shock will fit on whatever year you had?? Just let me know if it will work, and I will make you a deal on one slightly used (3,700 miles), clean unit.
  17. globaldude

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offer Cephus. I will check it out, but I won't be back in town for longer than 3 days until mid august. I'll try and contact you then.

If it doesn't work on the '87 in Maui, it will probably work on the '93 in LA, so I'd love to have it for one or the other. I'll give you a shout soon. Could you PM me your contact info. Phone or email, either is fine. Thanks!

I'm in Hollywood tonight and just came from dinner with Harry Swan and his wife. It was great seeing him again, and meeting his bride of 31 years. Great fun, nice people and fabulous food at a restaurant a friend of theirs owns. :D Harry is feeling better, but still in recovery mode from the Dempster ride.

I'm going riding tomorrow on a route Harry laid out for me up in the Ojai, Solvang area north of LA. Looks like some great roads. Have a new battery on trickle charge that should fire up the '93 KLR quickly and get me on the road! :lol3

Later,

Globaldude