Glutten for punishment. Let the spending begin

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Rob Farmer, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Velocipede

Velocipede Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're doing such a nice job there Rob,I just love these threads that showcase the talent of the builder.I'm amazed at myself who has never done a build as ambitious as this one for daring to offer up this comment.Here goes,the rear fender,mudguard,to my eye seems to unbalance the look of the bike.Too big or hanging too far out away from the rest of the bike.I,ve got the same piece on my GSPD and it looks not too bad.Maybe I should just button it and wait till the job is finished.
    John
  2. Rob Farmer

Rob Farmer Long timer

Oddometer:
    No worries John I'm always open to constructive criticism (you get used to it after a while :D)

The rack on the sub frame hides the rear mudguard on the standard GS and keeps it in proportion. I know just what you mean though and I'm hoping it's just the angle I took the photograph from. The forks look wrong as well without the white sliders and gaitors. I think they throw the balance of the whole thing out.

Here's a Kalahari Version - They had the 32 Litre Mono PD tanks fitted and were South African only machines. The machine looks better balanced with the front end as it should be.

[​IMG]

Most seem to have Mono racks and panniers fitted. The right hand pannier frame is unique to the model, hopefully I've got one lined up so will just need to track down a genuine rack and left hand frame.

Theres a nice Basic here

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IBvy3sz9rqs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  3. Velocipede

Velocipede Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes Rob,the mudguard does look way better with the rack mounted.Strange how something like that can knock it all out of perspective.

Some great YouTube footage there,I'd love to get hold of a G/SPD.When one occasionally does come up for sale they are priced a little out of my range.

Keep up the good work. John
  4. Rob Farmer

Rob Farmer Long timer

Oddometer:
    We're up and running :clap

Still need to paint the front end and have the front wheel built but what the hell I'd sooner ride it than look at it. The cosmetics can wait till the snow and bad weather hits.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm over the moon with the engine. It's an early 80's UK 1000cc RS so has 9.5:1 pistons as standard, the engines were rated at 70BHP as standard. I've had Moorespeed one piece valves an F1 technology valve guides fitted along with unleaded valve seats. Richie fitted larger inlet valves while he was in there. The engine flys and pulls like a train.

[​IMG]
  5. madleemark

madleemark Restless

Oddometer:
    very nice !!!!!!!!!!
  6. Captain Beardylocks

Captain Beardylocks travelling beardo

Oddometer:
    this is a beauty. let's see some action shots! :evil