GMAX GM68S Helmet

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Lochlyn_Deckard, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Lochlyn_Deckard

Lochlyn_Deckard Dex Moto(naut)

Oddometer:
    WebBikeWorld's Motorcycle Helmet of the Year (2007) is a tad over $100.00. :eek1

The review is glowing and I find it absolutely astonishing that it scored so well for such little money.

www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/gmax/gm68s

"... It's probably the best helmet deal we've ever seen since we started reviewing helmets nearly 8 years ago."

That's impressive.

Edit:

GMAX GM68S Helmet Review - www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php/topic,22475.0.html

Helmet Of The Year - www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php/topic,21750.0.html
  2. erohver

erohver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love mine. I replaced my old Shoei RF800 with it and I couldn't be happier.
  3. Runamuk

Runamuk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok it has been quite some time since you posted this thread how are your helmets holding up?

Muk
  4. Cam

Cam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know about his, but mine is going strong after a full year of riding. I even bought a second and stored it in a cool dark place just in case they obsolete the helmet or jack the price down the road.
  5. biggziff

biggziff Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer:
    I bought one of these March 08. 8000 miles later it's had one issue. One of the rivets that hold the right cheek pad broke. To be fair, I've removed that pad at least 10 times installing and removing helmet speakers and such. The dealer is getting me a new cheek pad under warranty. Other than that, this is a really good helmet. I use the LEDs nearly every morning in the fog/rain/dark. The fit is good...not noisy, good venting, the shields are tough to scratch. I like it!

Paid $109 at a local dealer.
  6. DrFaulken

DrFaulken Luck Bucket

Oddometer:
    I like mine. I reviewed it on my blog about two weeks ago. I was very impressed that the LED was actually visible in a really bad rainstorm. The helmet is comfortable, and the visor is of good quality. I like that the detents are nice and hold the visor open at highway speeds. The interior padding and detents are what make it different from the other budget helmets WBW reviewed (and that I own) like the Z1R and Zox Azuma R.

The helmet doesn't vent as well as personal accounts on the Internet led me to believe. A few people went so far as to say it vents so much it couldn't be worn during the winter. I have not found the venting to be even as good as my Azuma R; the visor also fogs up pretty easily.
  7. biggziff

biggziff Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer:
    Try this for the venting issue. While riding at speed, turn your head 45 degrees from center in either direction and keep it there. See if you suddenly feel lots more air coming in on the top vents.

8. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    I picked one up a couple months ago. I looked for a dealer along my 5-state path on my way to pick up the cycle after I bought it, but these are apparently so popular no one had my size in stock. The responsive GMAX customer service checked dealer inventory for me, but confirmed none were in stock, so I had to go online.

It's been so long since my last helmet I don't even remember the make for sure (Shoei?), but I did pay about twice as much and don't notice anything missing in the GMAX. There are lighter helmets, but I've never noticed the weight while wearing it. I definitely notice whistling and rumbling noises with it on, but I tend to believe the WBW review stating it is quiet for the amount of venting it has. Riding the Dakar home in 90 degree mid-day sun I didn't feel any discomfort so the venting is fine by me. The last test for me will be the coming winter...

I'm genuinely curious what would make it worthwhile for someone to spend 2x or 3x as much on another helmet. I guess there is the matter of head shape (the 68s is for 'round' heads according to WBW) - is there nothing comparable being made for other head shapes?

For anyone concerned about greater ventilation, I recall reading about someone who partially disassembled the helmet and found the protective foam blocking some of the vents. They punched holes in it with a pencil with great results. I'd be a little concerned about affecting the integrity of the helmet in the process, but the stock setup in mine is good enough for me anyway.

All in all, lots of nice pluses and no serious complaint. Goes down as a sound purchase for me.
  9. DrFaulken

DrFaulken Luck Bucket

Oddometer:
    Biggziff: thanks for the idea. I'm going to ride about 500 miles tomorrow and will have plenty of chances to try that out.

Don Coyote: My friend has a planetoid for a head (he and Pluto got de-classified as planets last year), and finds that Arai helmets fit him the best. He really likes my Gmax helmet, so it's a pity.

One thing to note, without dragging this thread into helmet safety standards, is that some of the more expensive helmets now meet the SHARP standard from Europe. In a nutshell, it's a halfway point between the (for now) more rigid SNELL ratings and the DOT recommendation.
  10. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ah yeah, the standards. I read some about Snell standards being called into question and kinda disregarded the whole idea. I'll definitely steer clear of a helmet safety standard discussion...

I guess the assumption I'm floating is that much of the issue with the more expensive helmets is about conspicuous consumption. Did your friend try on any of the larger GMAXs ? I needed an XXXL in the other brands I tried, but the XXL fit perfect with the GMAX (good customer service on their end saved my ass here), so I thought they may be sized more generously than most.

[edit: just to temper my comment about GMAX customer service here, I should point out that they didn't mention the issue of head shape to me when discussing size over the phone. I don't know how common it is for someone to have a head shape that will not fit in a 'round' helmet, but I guess it was a slight matter of luck that I didn't in this case.]
  11. DrFaulken

DrFaulken Luck Bucket

Oddometer:
    Hi Don, I'm not sure what size he went up to w/ Gmax helmets. Most of the Gmax helmets available around us are either modular or motocross. There's a bias around here for Shoei/Arai/HJC full face helmets and then cruiser-style skid lids. Out of the last three helmets I've purchased (Zox Azuma R, Z1R Strike, Gmax GM68S) I have yet to find anyone who stocks them near us.

My buddy is a law enforcement officer and doesn't make a lot of money. He would much rather buy a helmet like my Gmax for $109 shipped instead of a $450+ Arai, so at least for him it isn't about the brand. :(
  12. Runamuk

Runamuk Long timer

Oddometer:
    First ride impressions:

I'm not a racer guy but 75 mph is the speed limit on the highway here and everybody drives 80+/-. This is the whole reason that I decided to get a full faced helmet. My O'Neil MX helmet is not aerodynamic at these speeds and would severely buffet my head around!! After 150 miles I was done.:cry
    The G-Max was outstanding in this regard! With all of the vents on top I thought that there may be more drag but that is not the case. The only time I felt the helmet was when I turned my head more than 45 degrees to the side and even then I felt only minor drag and no wierd buffeting.

I originally thought that the led lighting was bogus. This evening I turned on the light while being followed by another biker who also thought this until this evening. He pulled up next to me at a stoplight and said, " Man, that thing really lights up!" :thumb

Had I known that the G-Max comes with both a clear and tinted visor I'd have not spent an additional $18.95 on a silver irridium replacement visor. The stock tinted visor is pretty weak for the Arizona sun and the irridium visor is too dark for night riding...........but it sure looks cool on my flat black G-Max. I've only ridden with the clear visor thus far.

I had better peripheral vision with the G-Max than my O'Neil MX helmet with goggles. This is the most important advantage of a full face street helmet in my opinion. I also appreciated the tough visor over the MX goggles with flying insects. At 80 mph there are no bugs in my face:D

Overall I'm quite impressed with the fit and finish of the G-Max helmet.
    If it is half as durable as it is versatile then I'd buy another one or 2 just to have around and still not have paid for 1 Shoei.

Muk
  13. Cam

Cam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have owned practically every 3XL or larger street helmet out there and several of the bigger 2XLs. If the GMax matches your headshape, the 3XL doesn't get much roomier IMO at least for a 3XL. Bigger than an RF1000 3XL for sure.