Go Adv: India

Discussion in 'Asia Pacific' started by Tsilatipac, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Tsilatipac

Tsilatipac Go Adventure

Oddometer:
    So here I was sitting in the shop when my friend says where are we going on our next ride? 30 min later... Let's draw. Each pick 3 places, make 2 of each for draw, and pick.
    20180719_202507.jpg

Wow, it looks like India. I dont know anything about India! Here we come anyway, next summer. 3-4 weeks. We'll figure something out...
  2. Mark Manley

Mark Manley Long timer

Oddometer:
    A great result which will end in an unforgettable trip, if you are going there in the summer it will be heading towards or in the monsoon but the weather in the far north will be good and the highest roads in the world open in July through to September with amazing roads, scenery and a culture that is closer to Tibet than India.
  3. Tsilatipac

Tsilatipac Go Adventure

Oddometer:
    I'd like to target 29 June 2019 - 26 July 2019. Hoping to avoid monsoon season but realize we could hit some of it. First thought is to fly in, buy motorcycles, ride, then sell or give them away. I dont know if any factories in India have a factory delivery program where we could pick up at factory, ride, and then have factory deliver to us dealer for us; that would be ideal.

I read a little about k2k last night. Lots more ride reports to go through for ideas...
  4. Mark Manley

Mark Manley Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is not possible for foreigners to register motorcycles in their name in India although there are ways around this but plenty of rentals, often Royal Enfields and smaller bikes up to 250cc which are quite fast enough on Indian roads although there is an increasing range of medium sized bike available.
    9Realms likes this.
  5. Aa Ell

Aa Ell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i met less then week ago one guy from Austria who bought R.Enfield. He told that his papers are fine, except he didn't receive plastic Registration Certificate card because he have not permament address in India.
    Well, I am foreigner and I bought from 2011 three bikes, but this is different story because i had working visa and permament address.
  6. Aa Ell

Aa Ell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ping me if you will come to South India. I know this region pretty well. So far on my bike explored this part: http://discovering.peepletree.in/india/bike/map/
  7. Tsilatipac

Tsilatipac Go Adventure

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the offer. I will definitely keep that in mind and take you up on the offer when I make it over that way. My riding partner, decided to blow all of his money on the a new ktm1290 and now doesn't have the funds to visit india in 2019. Now we are discussing visiting Mexico for a month in July. We can ride from here and camping keeps it inexpensive.
  8. E-luke

E-luke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Argh! Tell him to rent out the ktm on riders share or whatever, and go to India! I just bought a 1290 r, and love it, but I’ve also been to India 4 times - twice on bikes. I rented an enfield, a scooter and a laser. All fun, all crazy, and alright;)

Do it! You’ll have a wild time, and nothing will go according to plan, and you’ll encounter some of the craziest roads, and have some of the most intense cultural shock experiences, and you’ll tell all of those stories for years to come:)

Nepal is a little tamer, and more geographically stunning (himalayas) if you get north too. I rode Kerala to Goa to Maharashtra to rajhastan. Train trips through Varanasi and Putnam and Bangalore and Delhi. Bus and train up to Nepal and hiking for a month.

India is awesome, and wild.
  9. Tsilatipac

Tsilatipac Go Adventure

Oddometer:
    India is changing quickly, I hope to get there before it changes too much. We are loc ki ed in to Mexico and Guatemala this summer. India will have to wait until 2020. Only remaining wrinkle is if I take a temporary assignment to Singapore, of course that is the gateway to asia.