Go Chair - The next big thing in portable camp chairs?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by max384, Sep 12, 2018.

1. max384

max384 Bandaided Supporter

Oddometer:
    9Realms and Dan Alexander like this.
  2. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Looks alright... but nothing that will have me selling my helinox knock off to buy.

they're doing really well for the kickstart.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  3. the_gr8t_waldo

the_gr8t_waldo Long timer

Oddometer:
    looks like it would sink into anything, cep't a hard surface. along with keeping balance issues! I won't buy outdoor chair, unless it supports my back all the way up to my neck.(with a big plus for arm rests) All camp furniture looks good in print...it's using it, that gets a bit tricky
  4. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm sitting in the REI version of that right now, which is not as nice or light as small as the Helinox Zero, but it's pretty close. This one looks about the same, and about the same list price (as the Zero). I like the part in the video where it says, other chairs can take 30 seconds to set up. There are tasks that saving 25 seconds per use are a great idea - like things you're going to do thousands of times. I'm not going to set up this chair thousands of time - I've never thought, wow - I've been at this for like 20 some seconds - how can I keep up this pace?

I guess what I'm saying is, it looks like a nice chair but it doesn't seem revolutionary - just a refinement of what's there already.

Also, if they have been making other products for decades and have the tooling all ready for the go chair, why are they running an Indiegogo campaign instead of just selling it in stores? ...unless they're just using the slick modern equivalent of an infomercial, but that would be disingenuous - right? ;)
  5. CharlieInStLouis

CharlieInStLouis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like my camp chairs a lot lower to the ground, so I can kick back, kick my feet out, and I won't fall out of it when I "fall asleep".
  6. * SHAG *

* SHAG * Unstable

Oddometer:
  7. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love my Kermit chair. It is not quick to set up or tear down, but it is worth it.

Charles.
  8. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    And I put leg extensions on mine, so when I'm drinking, it's easier to get out of. 1st world problems for both of us I suppose.

There's also a high back helinox (and knockoff) that you could fall asleep and it'll hold your head.

9. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    You don’t need extensions for that - just have “one more” beverage and then roll to either side ;)

...getting back into the chair is a little difficult at that point though.
    max384 and CharlieInStLouis like this.
  10. max384

Oddometer:
    I used to use the Alite Monarch chair... with it only having two legs, it was a good drunk indicator. If I couldn't balance on the chair, it was time to go to bed! :drink
  11. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Kermit is going on 14 years old and it is still good. Can't tell how many POS cheap chairs I tossed prior to getting a Kermit. IMHO it pays to get quality stuff, cheaper in the long run..:deal YMMV
  12. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    I prefer the POS chairs, at least they are comfortable.

The kermit chair lasted about two trips with me, just wasn't comfortable, they are NOT the solution for everyone.

Some of us like comfortable chairs that pack small and light.
    I am not concerned about a wonderfully crafted wooden heirloom to pass on to my children.

I want a comfortable chair, that packs small and light.
  13. andynj

andynj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Against a Helinox which I have I think its a good option, the KS price is cheaper and its only slightly heavier but looks to be about the same size. Would like to touch and sit in one but I think its a viable alternative based on the video.
  14. lifeofliberty

lifeofliberty If you're bored, you're not living

Oddometer:
    The 300 lbs limit would be a problem for plenty of Americans. Maybe they'll come out with a AEHD model (American Extra Heavy Duty).

I rather like this chair, looks pretty cool, super fast setup.

Hate the cumbersome size and weight of all the camp chairs I currently own and have been wondering what to buy for the bike. Not a Kermit fan so that one is out. Don't need a beer holder. But it has to be able to support in soft ground or even some mud, and leg extensions would be desirable too.
  15. Mark G

Mark G Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was very interested when I saw this post, and followed the link to look at the chair. I was surprised at the price for what looks like another "me too" chair. I decided to pass. But now I keep getting ads for the chair on my phone. I wonder how much of their startup funding is going to advertising. I will definitely NOT be supporting this project.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  16. K1W1

K1W1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agree and agree.
    I found the guy assembling the Helinox and deliberately looking confused and slow somewhat galling in the video.
    We own Helinox chairs we have had them for years and they have years of life left in them so I’m not the target audience but I think I would still buy a Helinox anyway if I was looking for another chair.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  17. BigEasy

BigEasy Fish Eyed Heathen

Oddometer:
    Looks like to many moving parts/hinges/slides to get gunked up and jam:dunno
  18. Tall Man

Tall Man Priest, Temple of Syrinx

Oddometer:
    Just so.

The words Kickstarter, Indiegogo and particularly Pre-Order all suggest the same thing to me: Vaporware. Want me to order your Great New Thing? Say that real stock exists, right now. Say that it is shipping, right now. Having a few customer reviews evident on your webpage won't hurt, either.

I can wait.
    SmittyBlackstone and Maggot12 like this.
  19. phillyrube

phillyrube Long timer

Oddometer:
    There was a thread about using flexible wiring conduit or PVC pipe as a base. Drill two holes in the pipe, place pipe front to rear on the legs, and no sliding down into the dirt or sand. I'll post up some photos of what I did.
  20. max384

Oddometer:
    Indiegogo and similar campaigns are huge right now, particularly on social media. Companies can drum up big business and get paid BEFORE ever actually making a chair, let alone selling to a company (for far less than selling directly) and waiting for them to sell one. This saves on overhead, they can order in much larger quantities, which brings the price down for them and increases their profit margins, and they don't have to borrow money (or, worse yet, sell equity) for their initial order. It can make good business sense to sell this way, given the right product. Given their sales to this point, it seems as though this is working for them.

And, of course they're using the modern equivalent of an infomercial. I don't see what's disingenuous about it though.

I'm not sold on this product just yet, but I won't disregard a product just because they choose to crowdsource their funds.