GO NORTH; a newb's 2nd ever motorcycle road trip. Denver to Revelstoke.

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Sōul-ō, May 6, 2020.

1. Sōul-ō

Sōul-ō Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm planning a post C19 trip. Here's the current routing: Denver, Glacier NP, Banff NP, Revelstoke, Kelowna, Denver. This is an all pavement trip focusing on curvy roads and National Parks (for the stickers mostly). This is a solo trip starting near Aug 1. It's also my second trip ever on a motorcycle. I think I have the gear aspect figured out. I'll post up my kit this summer as this trip gets refined.

Here's my GO NORTH! Furkot Route! Take a peek, post your thought and suggestions.

My plan is to camp as much as possible, but I'll bail into a hotel if I get weary. It's a very ambitious route. I'm planning on trying to get it done in 11 days because I have to be back in town for a wedding, but I'm also considering flying home for the wedding and back to the bike if I have to; another option is to cut the Canadian portion out, depending on time, weather delays, C19 border closures, etc.

If anyone has some jewels hidden in their stash, I'm looking for suggestions for:
    • Fishing; I'd like to catch my own dinner when I have time to fish. I'll have very basic travel fly-fishing gear. This is a whim, I'm not a fisherman, but I'll take gear and try to camp close to fishing.
    • Camping; Fishing, I'd like to camp at spots that have very easy access to fishing, but I don't want to spend a lot of time going off the main route to find camping, I'll compromise both fishing and camping in the consideration of time.
    • Camping; Hot Springs, I'd prefer to camp at locations with hot springs. Natural is better, but I'll camp anywhere I can soak after dinner, e.g. campgrounds with hot spring "pools" are okay. This take precedence over the fishing.
    • Road condition; This is an all paved route, and I'm riding a sport-touring pavement princess. I'm looking to get as many corners as possible. If any of my roads or routes are suspect due to the intel I get back, I'll reroute to a better condition road. I'm trying to strike the perfect balance between excellent roads and NOT getting on the busier highways.
    • Gear, food, entertainment, Should I take the drone, fly-rod, etc... I'll post up my kit later this summer, but I'm open to suggestions. On my last 1600 mile CO-UT trip, I overpacked... What are your rules-of-thumb- for packing? I'll wear almost all synthetics, so washing and drying undies and such can easily be accomplished with bio-degradable soap and some fresh running water.
    • Coffee, Coffee, Coffee; Good Decaf Coffee is important. What's your solution? Do you know of a good independent coffee house along this route?

I'm traveling on a 2018 KTM 1290 Super Adventure S with Shad 36L side bags and a Shad 45L dry bag. I also strap a 2L camel back to the seat behind me for hydration. If I take the drone, I'll probably put it in a tank bag. Drones are a lot of time/work for a little footage, but I think I'd like to tell this story with photos and videos.

Thanks everyone, I'm looking forward to this adventure.
  2. HotChilliColdBeer

HotChilliColdBeer Human Swizzle Stick

Oddometer:
    It would be a shame to go that far and miss the Icefields Parkway.

Charlie
    GsGrins, LouisPK and Sōul-ō like this.
  3. lunchmeat

lunchmeat MLI

Oddometer:
    Hiway 6 between Vernon BC and Nakusp then south to Castlegar is a better road than 33 IMHO. Either are gorgeous but 6 has less traffic and even a fun ferry crossing.
    Sōul-ō likes this.
  4. ADV Wanderer

ADV Wanderer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You think you need 5 pairs of underwear and 4 shirts and pants. You don't.
    3 pairs of undies/socks: One to wear, one dirty, and a spare. Wear the spare when you're washing the other two at the laundromat.
    2 pairs of light pants: One clean, one dirty
    2 warm weather shirts: One clean, one dirty
    1 cool weather shirt*
    1 pair of shorts*
    *Bonus points if you carry convertible pants and shirts (ie zip off the pants to make shorts and roll-up/pin-up the sleeves to expose your arms). Then you can eliminate the extra shirts and pants.
    A warm jacket for cool evenings in the mountains. Something that can be rolled up and compacted.
    A washable hat

That's it really. You'll wear stuff a lot more times than you would at home. Dirty is relative!

As for coffee, get yourself a JetBoil, coffee crystals, and a cheap plastic mug. If you also get some packages of Mountain House Breakfast Skillet (dehydrated backpacking food) you'll be all set for breakfast. Be careful of bears if you're carrying food and camping.

Ditto. Jasper is also a better experience than Banff in my opinion as well. Banff is way too commercialized. Although the hordes of international tourists won't be there this year.
    Sōul-ō and ApexJeff like this.
  5. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most seasoned touring riders will say it's likely you'll take too much stuff. Glean it down!
    Those fish dinners will be pricey given that a relatively short trip means buying expensive fishing licenses, either country, any state.
    I have some walleye in my freezer that cost a pretty penny per lb..
    Wear undies that wash overnite like panties. Wear undershirts same way as wicking clothing's are the best under riding gear.
    I bungee a pr of flipflops to my gear pile and take athletic shoes for a foot change off the bike. Layering is the name of the game when headed into elevations.
    You are headed into the great unknown of post-covid era of travel, good luck on that.
    Read the Alberta link below this thread-each province will be a new world for travel rules. Sounds like you can't even get in Alberta for starters.
    Sōul-ō and ApexJeff like this.
  6. oneway

oneway Tehachapi CA

Oddometer:
    You need to check out ExOfficio.
    I use their underwear extensively. A little pricey but they do have sales.
    I can do the trip you described with 2 sets of undies & t shirts. 1 convertible pants, 1 swimsuit. Flip flops, 1 merino wool socks and 1 backup. 1 windbreaker type shirt, and my riding jacket/pants/boots.
    No problem.
    Sōul-ō likes this.
  7. oneway

oneway Tehachapi CA

Oddometer:
  8. Sōul-ō

Oddometer:
    this is all excellent stuff! thank you!
  9. shotty_co

shotty_co Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 on the suggestion to head a little further East and take in Kanasaskis Hwy and Icefield Parkway, it's a stunning ride.
    Sōul-ō and Meet@Trudys like this.
  10. Sōul-ō

Oddometer:
    There have been major changes for this trip. The dates I have off work are now the last three weeks of July. Originally, in August, my two kids we're going to be in school, but now I’d be leaving the family for a large part of our summer together.

So because I have the best wife on the planet, and she’s encouraging me not to give up on it yet, we’re trying to figure out a way to make this work. The latest idea is to tow the bike up to Glacier NP behind our 5th wheel, so my fam can camp with relatives for a week while I do a loop in Canada. Thanks everyone for the routing suggestions; I’m definitely incorporating them.

Obviously all of this hinges on the opening of the parks and borders. Part of me is thinking the the second wave of the virus, which we’ll probably see in a few weeks, will probably shut all this down...

thanks everyone...
    shotty_co likes this.