Go Sportsters

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Bloodweiser, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:

It does for me to buy one. I'm not much into this modern look. IMO, this should have been a completely new bike with new name and sold along side a retro lineup. Looks like my 2019 will be my last Sportster. Oh well.
  2. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    all things must evolve. Can’t drive a model t forever
  3. trumpet

trumpet Group W Bench

Oddometer:
    The future is water cooled,until we're forced into electric. I was a bit surprised there's no provision for 2-up. Perhaps after they introduce new models?

@Ginger Beard , I think we are outside the demographic HD needs for the future. Imagine when air cooled twins go away, it's probably sooner than we think.
  4. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

The Speed Triple is thoroughly modern with a beautiful aesthetic. The future doesn't have to have the same visual appeal as a microwave in order to be fun and functional.

[​IMG]
    johnwesley, Scoozi, RobN. and 4 others like this.
  5. ghoststrykre

ghoststrykre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's a two-up kit that can be ordered for the bike, per the HD website for the Sportster S.
    Webman likes this.
  6. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

I want this engine, just not the way it's packaged. Check the Speed Twin for reference.
  7. Webman

Webman Long timer

Oddometer:
    They offer pillion seat, foot pegs, and backrest as accessories.
    ghoststrykre likes this.
  8. Motocicleta

Motocicleta Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some screen grabs from the HD promo video. Looks like they have some more traditional styled models coming out as well:

Attached Files:

merc16, Richy, Kevm and 5 others like this.
  9. Webman

Webman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m a bit ambivalent about some of Triumph’s detail choices. They use a fake Monza gas cap to cover the real cap on the thruxton, fake carburetors to hide the fuel injectors on multiple models, etc. I really dislike fakery like that. I’d rather have a modern interpretation than a fake any day. While this isn’t perfect, it’s obvious that it isn’t fakery.
    Richy likes this.
  10. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

Certainly not a perfect bike by any means but lightyears more visually appealing than the "Sportster S".

This has me interested though...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    johnwesley, Richy, victor441 and 2 others like this.
  11. KSBUTLER44

KSBUTLER44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Low Rider S ?
  12. ghoststrykre

ghoststrykre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've read that a smaller variant of the Revolution Max engine could headline a less expensive version of the Sportster, and likely is the spiritual embodiment of what the Bronx was supposed to be (I can't figure out if the Bronx is dead or still happening??)
    Webman likes this.
  13. Motocicleta

Motocicleta Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No, these are future Sportster models, based on the model revealed today. These pics were shown in the HD Sportster reveal video, near the end:
    Ginger Beard, Webman and KSBUTLER44 like this.
  14. Webman

Webman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agreed, that does look interesting. I imagine we’re seeing the 975-powered sportster “standard model”. Hopefully at $12k or less…
    Kevm, Ginger Beard and KSBUTLER44 like this.
  15. KSBUTLER44

KSBUTLER44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting
  16. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    Like I said, I love this new engine. The Pan Am is a blast to ride, it just isn't in my wheelhouse in terms of something I'd purchase. If they can make a beautifully evolved retro standard using this engine then I'll be stoked. I'm just not sure how they could pull it off given the odd plastic look of the Rev Max. More power to the design team that can do that!

Edit: A quick explanation about my distaste for this iteration of the Sportster. I buy Sportsters because they aren't a thoroughly modern motorcycle. They aren't slapped full of gadgets and tech, and they aren't perfectly polished or honed. They appeal to me solely because they feel like a wayback machine with just enough modernity that I can stack 100,000 reliable miles on them without hesitation. I get to tour aboard a motorcycle that "feels" like one from the 70's while still actually getting me to where I want to go. They're also extremely modular with parts swaps across years and versions being extremely easy and available. This new version doesn't embody any of the reasons that I would pay more for less as I did with the Evo version.
    Chaplain, n8mandy, johnwesley and 6 others like this.
  17. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    When Harley builds what everyone says they want it gathers dust on the showroom floor. Cafe racer....XR1000....FXRT.....ect.......even the VRod in small measure.
    xl54ss, Cogswell, trumpet and 2 others like this.
  18. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    Covered under accessories for now.
    KSBUTLER44 and Webman like this.
  19. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    I think you meant Speed TWIN.

Though I generally agree with you. They've done retro to death for decades and it's not like they don't have retro covered in BTs.

I actually think it's smarter for them to start to embrace change and largely let retro go on the Sportster line.

I'm not even sure they could have built a retro Sportster better than Triumph did the retro Bonnie. So giving up there and moving forward here might have been the better move for Harley.

Time will tell even if I'm less than enthusiastic about water-cooled motors. But shit they kept everything else in terms of ease of maintenance, and added hella performance. I dunno. Maybe this really is the best road.
  20. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

I can get where you are coming from and yes, I meant Twin. for me, I'd rather just go back to buying Yamahas if I'm going to buy a modern bike. Personally, I'd rather have the retro look and feel as that is what I enjoy in a street bike. If this new Sportster S were even remotely appealing to me, I would have purchased it from Indian rather than buying my Iron 1200. For the HD brand, I hope they sell a ton of them, I just won't be one of their future buyers.
    Scooter007, Webman and Kevm like this.