Go Sportsters

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Bloodweiser, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wonder if they have "DeCaffeinated" this?

[​IMG]
    Scoozi, Cogswell, KSBUTLER44 and 5 others like this.
  2. Webman

Webman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you’re probably right. I also hope they build the bike you’re showing here, it’s nice!
  3. Webman

Webman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hear you, and these are way beyond my price range anyway. The good news for both of us is that because the evos were so successful, there will be plenty of them around to keep people riding them for decades to come.
  4. ghoststrykre

ghoststrykre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    HD is just in a crappy spot. They modernize their design to attract newer younger buyers and their retro loving crowd (basically the rest of their buyer base) hates it. They stick to retro designs and their primary buyer base loves it but is slowly passing out of motorcycling while the newer younger buyers want nothing to do with it.

So perhaps the other bikes in the Sportster line coming will add design diversity to strike at different buyer group interests. Existing HD models don't sound like they're going anywhere either.

This Sportster S, to me, just shows a cool new addition to the company's portfolio. Just like the Pan America. No one's opinion on design is wrong, and I'm focused on appreciating this bike for the technological and competitive developments HD is committing to. It's a brighter future for the company than a year ago.
  5. Richy

Richy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don’t blame me, I’ve owned all of those.
  6. CarlWheezer

CarlWheezer It's a trick...get an axe

Oddometer:
    I agree the modern retro Triumphs are attractive and well put together. The one hang up I always had with them was that damn crimp along the bottom tank seam. I love the tank on my XL, Harley paid attention to that small detail that Triumph should have. IMHO.
  7. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:

My gripe is based upon them killing off the XL rather than expanding their lineup to include these modern machines. Triumph has the recipe nailed, a retro heritage line that is thoroughly modern and then a line of 100% modern performance machines. . HD could have learned from their business strategy in that regard. I'd be just as disappointed if Triumph killed off the Bonneville and called the Speed Triple RS an "all new T120".

The selfish side of me is just annoyed that HD no longer makes a bike that I would spend my money on and I like supporting them.
  8. trumpet

trumpet Group W Bench

Oddometer:
    Yet they'll be available in all kinds of garage queen states of being for quite the foreseeable future. Right up to gasoline being restricted then banned. Then they are all paperweights.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  9. Tanshanomi

Tanshanomi Your Favorite Uncle Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't dislike the bike except for the oversized wheels and tires.
    When I look at it, all I can see is a cartoon.

313.webp-01.jpg
    busa1300, Scooter007, Webman and 3 others like this.
  10. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    Richy, merc16 and KSBUTLER44 like this.
  11. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    Who is to say they didn't?

It's not like they don't have a retro heritage line too (Softails and Tourers).
    Monkeyshines and Ginger Beard like this.
  12. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

Was speaking specifically about the Sportster/Bonneville retro standard lineup.
  13. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    Yeah but maybe that's the wrong way to look at it

Let's face it, remove the Bonnies from the Triumph classic line and they have nothing that's genuinely a heritage bike.v the America, Thunderbird, are all kinda wannabes.

Triumph made bank on the Bonnie and the truly modern sport and dual sport lines.

As I've said Harley has been making bank on retro forever. Though their Sportster line has some great history it was so long ago it's not funny.

Harley makes bank on their tourers and softails and yet another heritage bike doesn't make as much sense.

Yeah I see how Triumph walked the line with the Bonnie but they already had sporting bikes and couldn't afford to totally leave the heritage of the Bonnie behind.

Harley doesn't have that luxury. Other than the PA they had NOTHING that wasn't heritage. They need to branch and I suspect that trying to do what Triumph did with the Bonnie to the Sporty would have worked out half pregnant.

And one could argue that the original OHV Sporty, unitized engine, etc was a real departure from the BTs. So this feels kinda honest in that sense. Another departure, modernization for performance.

I dunno I guess I want to see where they go with it.
    Monkeyshines, Richy and Ginger Beard like this.
  14. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

The great thing is that we are in a free market with tons of cool bikes so I'm not forced to buy an RH chassis Sportster. In a way, it's freeing that HD did this as I've owned 3 Sporties and now I can focus back on the big 4, which is where I've always gravitated anyway. I'll always have the Scramster but now I can go down to one Sportster in the garage once I get tired of the Iron.
    Richy, Webman and Kevm like this.
  15. Hoges

Hoges Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My thoughts exactly, I’m an old bloke and I’m not interested in all the new technology they install in new bikes anymore and will keep the XR1200 and continue adding klm’s on it, it’s now up to 105,000 klm and it’s set up how I like it, if anything fails I’ll just fix it or replace parts to keep going.
    The last new bike I bought was a Dyna Lowrider S in 2016 and I’ll do the same with that.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  16. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah that's where I am with the Road King. It's an amazing 800 pound beast. And if I wanna really go fast the Tuono is still out back. Not likely I'll be buying any more new bikes Harley or otherwise.
    Hoges, Ginger Beard and Richy like this.
  17. shupe

shupe Long timer

Oddometer:
    As far as that Triumph Speed Twin and its retro looks, notice it is rated at 98HP.
    The new Sportster S is 121. The Triumph can get by with a small radiator at 98hp.
    121 hp requires more cooling capacity, which impacts styling options, no?
    Monkeyshines and Webman like this.
  18. Bob likes cats

Bob likes cats Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't put this opinion in the new Sportster S thread, not fair.
    Those exhausts are horrible. Otherwise the MoCo has to move with the times & I hope this sells. But a Sportster it 'aint.
    Chaplain likes this.
  19. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    So...it's considerably more money than a Sportster, and actually costs MORE than a base Softail. ($13,499)

Is someone at HD on meth?
    Chaplain likes this.
  20. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    So...$650 for decent controls. More for a real fender and somewhere to put a pillon bag.

So now you're at, what, the same price as a Softail Deluxe? (~$18K)