Go Sportsters

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Bloodweiser, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    I didn't on my first Sporty or my Suzuki...
  2. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You guys are funny :-)

When I bought my ironhead in '84 it was the first bike I owned with good brakes. Previous to that I had a few dual sports ("enduro" back in the day), a '72 Suzuki GT750 (drums at both ends), a '72 Kawasaki H2, and a '75 Yamaha XS650. The Sportster not only had a disc in front, it had one in back too! It stopped much better than the others. The lever didn't come back to the bar (something wrong with the brakes if that's happening) and either wheel could be locked up. Thinking about it, it had better brakes than my current BMW did out of the factory.

Its a matter of perspective :D
    Webman likes this.
  3. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    You sure have picked some real winners if an '84 Sportster had the best brakes.
    Scoozi, maydaymike, Cogswell and 2 others like this.
  4. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I listed them :dunno
  5. VicRattlehead

VicRattlehead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a whole string of sportbikes that would throw you over the bars with 1or2 fingers on the brake lever so yeah, perspective. :lol2
    Still, the brakes were weak on my 97 by any standard since drums in the front were common.
    Mobiker likes this.
  6. oldenuf

oldenuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dealer has listed a 2002 XL 883 R. Looks stock and unmolested, 3400 miles on it. Dealer has put new rubber on it, and running it through the shop.
    Anything in particular I should look for and ask about? I had a 2014 883, and loved it except for the limited suspension.

Art
    Kevm likes this.
  7. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 2000-2003 solid mount bikes are very popular here (the XL883R and XL1200S in particular) thanks to the sealed wheel bearings and improved brakes...the big question would be if you are OK with a pre 2004 solid mount, the vibration is an absolute deal breaker for some but no problem for others. Hopefully you can get an extended test ride in...
    Kevm and Webman like this.
  8. TCBronson

TCBronson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just bought a 1976 XLH that will soon be a Then Came Bronson replica. 20210725_123802.jpg
    n8mandy, rixcafe, c1skout and 11 others like this.
  9. SportsterTom

SportsterTom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you're able to take the R for a test ride and if it's still a 883, that is to say not converted to a 1200, I believe you'll find it to be a very smooth runner. My 883R is the smoothest running XL of the 4 I've had, a real Gem.
    Richy likes this.
  10. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    I've never ridden a solidmount that I would say that about. But people vary.
  11. VicRattlehead

VicRattlehead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A good test ride is WELL worth the effort on a solidmount; they definitely aren't for everyone.
    I was really apprehensive about my 97 when I went to check it out as I'd heard all the horror stories and the only other solidmount I'd ridden (many years back) was a not particularly well-built or good running 4sp model. Anyway, the seller was totally cool and allowed a test ride and it didn't take long before I was thinking "this ain't bad at all'". I bought it then and there and haven't regretted it a moment since. I LOVE my solidmount, quite a bit more than thr rubbermount I owned, I might add.The only time the vibes really get intrusive, for me, is at 70+mph and I spend so little time riding on interstates (MUCH prefer 2-lanes) that it's a complete non-issue.
    As with all things, and especially motorcycles, though: individual results WILL vary.
    Webman, Richy, johnwesley and 3 others like this.
  12. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    lever question. my 2006 XL 1200C custom has leavers that have slots cut through them that run horizontal to the bars. is this OEM?
    my problem is they eat up the callas on my hands and become uncomfortable in short order.
  13. trumpet

trumpet Group W Bench

Oddometer:
    Those are aftermarket. Stock are wide spoon shaped.

oep579715_30c4cd932dc42b14f2e086103507ca149300f3ff.jpg
  14. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really like the OEM Harley levers. They just work.
    Richy, HapHazard and trumpet like this.
  15. TowPro

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I will get around to getting some. maybe heat shrink in the mean time :)
    trumpet and Richy like this.
  16. Oilleaker

Oilleaker Ne’er do well tinkerer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you look on J&p or any of those sites you’ll find leather wraps for the levers cheap. They have the added benefit of keeping the cold from really sinking through your gloves if you get caught in traffic in the winter. Trim off the excess lace and they look pretty unobtrusive unless you're into the fringe vibe
    Jarlaxle likes this.
  17. TowPro

Oddometer:
    thanks, I will check. I think they the levers for $20 each at J&P. have not priced OEM yet.
    Oh, winter where I live might go into the 50's. I break out the heated jacked around 60 :)
    Oilleaker likes this.
  18. Scoozi

Scoozi Long timer

Oddometer:
    That was the first year of left side shifting, damn that's a long gear lever...
    TCBronson likes this.
  19. mississippimadman

mississippimadman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Curious on you good peoples thoughts on the
    New sportsters vs the old sportsters
    20210728_124536.jpg
  20. Philthy64

Philthy64 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They are chalk and cheese.
    Jarlaxle and ag_streak like this.