Go Sportsters

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Bloodweiser, Dec 20, 2010.

1. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can’t see the pictures but I’m the same size and was also able to make my Sportster fit me with a change to an extended reach seat.
  2. thebisch

thebisch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's it! The silver crinkle/black engine looks way more classy and classic to me. Yea, the silver wheels can be a bitch.
  3. thebisch

Oddometer:
    I have had good luck with foaming s100 on the wheels, as long as its not years old break dust.
  4. HapHazard

HapHazard Be Kind - Rewind

Oddometer:
    Sit tight & hang on to that XR!:deal
    Monkeyshines and iantochips like this.
  5. iantochips

iantochips Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know, I know, but tempus fugit and my arthritic wrist struggles with the clutch pull even after the Muller conversion, which against all advice I paired with some beautiful Gilles levers so that I can at least reach the lever....but you have to constantly juggle with adjustment.

And although I've changed the primary gearing things still feel fussy at the 85/90mph cruising we like to indulge in on the almost entirely police and radar free roads here in the Baixo Alentejo. I suppose I just want more power! You can, at considerable expense, liberate 120hp from the XR motor, but at some cost in durability I've no doubt. And she'd run even hotter.

If I could afford two bikes I would never sell the XR though. A flawed gem far greater than the sum of its parts.
    thebigman, Webman and HapHazard like this.
  6. thebisch

Oddometer:
    What are those bars?
  7. thebisch

Oddometer:
    Where did you source the rubber mounts from?
  8. thebisch

Oddometer:
    Mr. Clean magic eraser works great on the silver crinkle paint stains.
  9. thebisch

Oddometer:
    That was never a thing.
  10. RevnUp

RevnUp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Like Victor441, I can't see the pics, but I appreciate your information. Between you and Victor441, it seems that a Sportster can be made to fit. I want to try to rent a Sportster and a Road King back-to-back and make some comparisons.

Thanks for all the insights from all of you.
  11. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Renting is a great idea, I test rode a few Sportsters but that was not enough to make a decision (the rides were short and accompanied)...so I first rented an 883 Iron for an entire day but I wasn't crazy about it. A 2016 Roadster became available months later and I liked that much better after a day on it so I went ahead and bought an older Roadster. It took some time and $$$ to fix its shortcomings but I'm happy with it.
  12. CAW

CAW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Burly scrambler bars. They are great.
  13. CAW

CAW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Trying again with the photos. Extended reach on top, stock on bottom. The post above asking about my handlebars is close to how it sits now.

Except I have a 4.5 gallon tank on it.

IMG_6214.jpg
    IMG_6215.jpg
    victor441 likes this.
  14. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can see the pictures now:thumbup
    FWIW this is how I fit on my bike at 6'1", 34" inseam and I'm comfortable. Prior to installing the extended reach seat shown it felt like a 3/4 scale motorcycle. I need to get off my arse and make or modify a traditional bench seat for two up riding....don't need that capability all that often in my dotage but when I do it is sometimes important ;-)

[​IMG]
    Bors, Webman and ag_streak like this.
  15. 83XLX

83XLX Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are made by Lord Corp., and I bought them from an eBay seller, but don’t recall which one.
  16. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    Here is a website to try. http://cycle-ergo.com/ you pick the bike, put in your size and you can change some measurement on the bike like handlebar, seat and pegs.
    Webman likes this.
  17. thebisch

Oddometer:
    Cool, thanks.
  18. thebisch

Oddometer:
    They look like a slightly higher bar than the stock 1200R wide bars. Exactly what I would want if I still had my 1200R. Good to know in case I get another sportster!
  19. tennessee thumper

tennessee thumper Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    EVO dash question and it's not really important, more curious than anything.

Key turned to AUX switch. Speedo dash lights come on but not the tach.

Are both gauges supposed to illuminate in the AUX key position?
  20. Third Rex

Third Rex Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m looking at (finally) getting a Sporty soon. Probably going to get a Nightster,but still up in the air on that. I really would like some heated grips - I have crap circulation in my hands and trying to have all my bikes set up for year round. I’m thinking a small fly screen or fairing for some wind deflection, the heated grips, and maybe some sort of Hippo-Hands solution for when it’s really cold. I’ll also run a heated jacket.

Anyone have suggestions for the grips and maybe some sort of hand guards or gauntlets for the really cold stuff?