Go Sportsters

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Bloodweiser, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Steppy

Steppy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got the OEM Nostalgia heated grips on my Sporty and have never had them set over 2. Well worth the money.
  2. thebisch

thebisch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the necro...

I had -09 part number bagger shocks on my '05 Sportster. Best cheap upgrade ever! 0lbs air solo (I fluctuate between 200-224 ish) and about 5 - 10 lbs air 2 up IIRC (pillion is about 125 I think). About a half inch lower than stock ('05 883 Std.), better handling, and super better ride.

Anyway, I sold them when I sold the Sportster because I read that the clearance on the FXR wouldn't work on one side. I would love to get another set for the FXR if I can make them work. The Progressive 412s that I bought are total trash and a waste of money. How much and where do you need to grind to fit the bagger shocks on a belt drive FXR? You wouldn't happen to have pics? (yea right! LOL!)
  3. tennessee thumper

tennessee thumper Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    2001 XLH 1200

Previous owner installed Screamin Eagle Stage 1 air cleaner and carb jets---I removed the mufflers and went back to stock pipes.

This has the flat backing plate and specific K/N air filter.

Gobbling/Chirping coming from air filter box when engine is warm, after about 10 minutes.

I removed the air filter cover/cleaner, noise goes away.

Big vent bolts are tight and unobstructed, backing plate and carb are securely/snug.

Oil level is at 1/2 mark.

No visible head gasket leaks.

Filter is not torn or damaged, same as pic.

I have a feeling this a by-product of the high flow filter /backing plate set up, allowing more air to flow and making more noise as opposed to a stock unit that would seem to be as much of a silencer as an air filter.

Final question:

If indeed it's the filter type, would going back to stock air cleaner---with stage 1 jets in the carb---be much of an issue?

oval-air-cleaner-filter-34-1066-1000x1000.jpeg
    Richy likes this.
  4. vntgmx

vntgmx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got back to Florida and had a chance to take out my 2018 Sportster Custom and man I love this bike....A little over 10k on the odo and she rips better then ever!....Gonna be a good winter!
    sporty 10:26-1.jpg sporty 10:26.jpg
  5. Richy

Richy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don’t see it as a problem. They were generally jetted lean.
    Chuck Pryce likes this.
  6. Richy

Richy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Progress report on my CR. I’ve been plugging away at it. Cleaning, checking, bringing it back. It’s cleaning up nicely and most of the fasteners are good.
    I replaced the old tires with Pirelli Route bias in the stock sizes, packed the bearings(they were good), the rear shocks cleaned up well.
    5825A092-64F0-4ACA-813C-9A570ED293BC.jpeg
    New gas line to replace the 44yo stocker.
    3D607A52-0397-48D4-9967-106AB92C45B0.jpeg
    The stock clear coat had seen better days, so I sanded them to “brushed”.
    EE6595BE-E497-4299-9E23-6DC7C98D2556.jpeg
    Utilized my massive, solar heat treating oven on some fresh VHT to stop the rust on the exhaust. I’m not sure if I’ll have it powder coated, ceramic coated, or just paint it regularly. 3C440622-AAAA-4BBA-B14E-965AF9F812EB.jpeg
    Back together. E006C635-6921-483B-AA1A-E69480ED46C9.jpeg
    Waiting on seals for the front brakes, that won’t keep me from riding it around the block if I can get it to run. I’ve changed the trans fluid but I still have to turn it over to see if the bottom end is full of engine oil, it doesn’t show on the stick. I’ll get a new battery and some fresh 93 octane and I might give it a shot tomorrow.

Attached Files:

7. tennessee thumper

Oddometer:
  8. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice bike. A close look at all the details shows lots of love involved.
    Philthy64 and Webman like this.
  9. Richy

Richy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wher are the dual discs and adjustable forks? Looks great though.
  10. tennessee thumper

Oddometer:
    Follow up on the chirping noise emanating from the air cleaner.

Installed the standard issue air cleaner housing and filter...noise is gonzo.

The screamin' eagle set up was more of a Gobbling Turkey, by my count.

The SE backing plate, metal breather spacers and proprietary air filter made more noise than noticeable HP, for my tastes.

I've got other bikes when I need a HP rush.
    rc51owner, 83XLX and Richy like this.
  11. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    I agree. Switched the "B&R" (birds and rocks) filter that came on mine to stock and never missed a thing.
  12. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I installed the SE AC kit on my own bike and have not noticed any weird noises...but it came with SE mufflers too so they might be drowning it out and intake noise IS a big issue in general, especially on bikes like ours with exposed air cleaners.
    One plus for the SE AC is that it moves the hamcan in about an inch, that doesn't sound like much but it makes a noticeable improvement in knee clearance.
    rc51owner, Webman and Richy like this.
  13. tennessee thumper

Oddometer:
    Yep, seller told me this bike had the Stage 1 kit. Exhaust, jetting and the air cleaner, apparently.

Going back to standard exhaust was the first thing I did and left everything else.

The SE AC kit I removed had spacers that moved the metal AC backing plate out further from the cylinder heads than the stock housing. So now, the AC is closer and as you note, give some more leg room.

Not sure if that was correct install, just how it was on there. Those spacers may have been contributing to the noise, as well.

You might be on to something.... the louder SE exhaust probably covers up some of the AC noise.

The breather noise at the AC was very noticeable to me with the SE set up...much like turkey gobbling. (Has a similar issue on a BMW 90S but it was the breather valve that needed attention).

Either way, appreciate folks chiming in here. Still learning the EVO Sportster.....
  14. Richy

Richy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like the SE because it’s strong and simple, no braces or brackets.
  15. 83XLX

83XLX Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have an SE air cleaner on my bike and have never noticed any strange noises. I do hear a little more intake noise than the stock setup, but that’s to be expected.

3387E6C3-F7D3-4FB8-9E11-4C90DB7C72D2.jpeg
    Richy and merc16 like this.
  16. tennessee thumper

Oddometer:
    XLX,

Nice to hear from you. Trust all is well and the old XLX is going along well.

The engine breather on the EVO is a bit different than on the IH.

I had a similar AC set up on my IH (as yours) since I switched the the later CV carb----and is was quiet, as well.

EVO motor has two breather ports that empty right into the air cleaner (big hollow bolts) where those C shaped bends are in the filter rubber.

Upon review....there is a possibility the spacers that the SE backing plate used could have contributed to the noise.
    I did not install them, so not ever sure if they were needed.

Good info, just the same. Thanks for posting.
    83XLX likes this.
  17. 83XLX

83XLX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice to see you have another Sportster, too! Yes, the old XLX is still doing fine. I had to replace the oil tank about a year ago because of a crack, but that’s about it.

30D5D16D-9B05-44C8-B6F5-069AEC0EF947.jpeg
  18. tennessee thumper

Oddometer:
    Indeed.

This one, as it currently sits, not the aesthetic appeal of the IH, but I'm slowly working on it. Yours is one of my favorites, for sure.

Seat(s), paint and tires are on the winter list. I've got a Saddleman dual seat on the way and will be recovering the stock solo with a later style tuck/roll pattern.

Belt drive, 5 speed and EVO engine are a nice change from the IH, though.
    Still amazed of how similar the EVO is to my old IH and still 20 years apart.

If I recall you are around 50,000 miles on your bike?
    EDFBD771-8393-49AA-8B37-F07D4FC4226B (1).jpg
    SportsterTom, Scoozi, Richy and 3 others like this.
  19. 83XLX

83XLX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, that’s a pretty bike! I know you’ll get it the way you want it, and it will be a fine machine. Mine has about 56,000 miles on it right now.
  20. vntgmx

vntgmx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Most likely the last ride of my 2020 before I head south for warmer sunny days later this week. Was a good day for it and the Sporty didn't disappoint.
    sporty 10:31.jpg sporty 10:31-2.jpg sporty 10:31-1.jpg
    Philthy64, Tritwin, thebigman and 2 others like this.