Go Sportsters

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Bloodweiser, Dec 20, 2010.

1. VicRattlehead

VicRattlehead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's been the funniest thing I've found with my Sportster, I'm consistently riding slower (55-60) and loving it. I laugh at myself often when I'm just 'cruising the countryside's and I look down and I'm running 45mph. :lol2 My sportbikes we're always 60-100mph on the exact same roads.
    With my sportbikes I enjoyed the thrill of the performance and the rush of acceleration, with the Sporty I just enjoy the simple pleasure of being on a motorcycle. :ricky
  2. VicRattlehead

Oddometer:
    I've always used the term 'distilled'. Seemed appropriate somehow. :D
    Webman and Richy like this.
  3. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    I'd hesitate to buy a Franken-bike. You have no dea what was done, if it was done right, or whether there's internal engine butchery.
  4. kemorobbie

kemorobbie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well.......I went and did it finally.......It rides rough drags in corners and i cant stop smiling the hole time! IMG_20190817_122919.jpg
  5. Backlund

Backlund Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok, it's done!

My mid-controls arrived at the door at about 10:30 this morning, and I wasted little time in yanking off the stock forwards and getting this bike 'right with the world' by installing the mids.

At about the time I was finished with that, the Harley dealer called and said that the piece of chrome tank trim I had ordered last week had come in, so off I went to fetch my new 'chunk-o'-useless-bling', and within fifteen minutes of getting back home, it too was installed.

I can now officially declare my 2015 XL1200C a finished project. It is now the Sportster I wanted to own and ride...
    IMG_20190820_145114924_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190820_145204853_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20190820_145357442_HDR.jpg

The mids are a vast improvement over the ridiculous forwards (to me), but they should be positioned closer in to the bike, they really stick out there (as did the forwards), and will certainly catch some pavement in any aggressive cornering, but, they're still a big step in the right direction.
    alpina, TonyKZ1, Richy and 9 others like this.
  6. Traxx

Traxx Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, if I go with the Harley Stage I or II within the first 60 days of ownership it will be covered under warranty.
    Would it be worth it?
  7. VicRattlehead

Oddometer:
    Sportys pick up a not insignificant amount of power from the ubiquitous intake/exhaust/tuner mod. Whether it's worth it is completely up to you.
    Me personally, I'd never own a bike without flipping the perverbial bird at the EPA. :D
    Ginger Beard, HapHazard and Traxx like this.
  8. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    I'm the opposite.

I sold my Buell because with the full race kit (k&n, race ECM and supertrap and about 100 rwhp) it was too damn loud.

Sometimes the high flow AC on the Sportys just makes too much intake noise.

So I'm Kev... We've currently got 5 bikes (including two Harleys) with stock exhausts.

I'll add that the more stock a Harley is, the more reliable it is.
    Scoozi, WIsixfitty, TonyKZ1 and 4 others like this.
  9. Traxx

Oddometer:
    I think what it involves are the AC, slip ons and a tuner. I don’t want it any louder and am happy with the power. The dealer was telling me that if I was to do the screaming eagle upgrades that they would be covered under warranty.
    If it gets louder like Kev says then that would be a no go.
    aplaceinspace likes this.
  10. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    It probably wouldn't be as bad as the Supertrap that I opened up, repacked, and removed a few discs from.... But it's a danger.
    Traxx likes this.
  11. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the HD SE Stage 1 setup on my bike, works fine without excessive exhaust or intake racket and FWIW is EPA and even CARB (California) legal. From what I've read power increase is about 10% / 7HP or so for maybe 75HP on a 1200 (which is plenty for how I ride). As was said the noise level will vary greatly depending on who you buy the intake and exhaust components from.
    Traxx likes this.
  12. Traxx

Oddometer:
    I think I will wait until the warranty expires and do what I want. Thanks all for the input. 10% for $1200 just doesn’t seem like a good deal.
    Webman likes this.
  13. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    Just to show how this shit is subjective. When I talk about intake noise, I was talking about an HD SE Ham Can on a rubbermount Sporty. It's why the current XLr (that leaves the fleet Saturday) has the stock ham can.
    Richy likes this.
  14. Traxx

Oddometer:
    LOL yep, and even watching y-tube vids doesn’t really help. I think even the different cameras make the sounds a little off.
  15. Bill N

Bill N Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Backlund- I'm surprised no one mentioned that your mid controls appear to be for a "new" Roadster. I have a 2008 Roadster and my pegs don't stick out nearly as far as yours.
  16. Bill N

Bill N Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The new 2020 models are up on the Harley Davidson home page.
    Traxx likes this.
  17. Backlund

Oddometer:
    Even in stock form, my XL1200C is the noisiest bike of the five we have.

The only time that it matters to me is when I fire it up at about 5:50 AM to make my Deadwood coffee run, and at that time of day, I'm concerned that I may wake my neighbors with it as it idles in our driveway while I gear-up to go.

The last thing I want to do is make it any louder than stock. Considering how I ride the Sportster, it's stock power is adequate, and actually quite satisfying. If I want to ride something with more power and performance that day, I'll take the 1200 Thruxton R.
  18. Backlund

Oddometer:
    I bought them because the seller said that they were for 2014 and up Sportsters, so I assumed that there may be problems with fitment from earlier XL's.

They'll do for now, but I'll look into whether I can install narrower sets from earlier models.
  19. ReBoot

ReBoot Lurker Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, nobody has an opinion?

Front end is a bit stiff. No bad dives when Playing with the front brake.

Thinking of some new springs or valves. Don't see where the brace is needed?:dunno
  20. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:

Hey Backlund, if you look at your front vs rear pegs you'll see that the fronts have a dropdown "gooseneck" for the Roadster models. You can swap pegs from the rider position to the passenger position. This will narrow the setop by about an inch and give you quite a bit more lean angle without having to buy additional parts.
    Traxx, Webman, Richy and 2 others like this.