Go Sportsters

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Bloodweiser, Dec 20, 2010.

1. fastdadio

fastdadio Still gettin faster

Oddometer:
    So the interweb experts are wrong? Welcome to the dark side. Enjoy riding the most disrespected, misunderstood motorcycle ever made.
    :freaky
    Mechanista, thebigman, Webman and 6 others like this.
  2. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    :nod Spot on. There will always be a Sporty in my garage for this exact reason. they are just a joy to ride.
    Webman, Mobiker, Traxx and 1 other person like this.
  3. aplaceinspace

aplaceinspace Misanthropologist

Oddometer:
    Nope. Didn't respect him afterwards, either.
    Webman, Richy, Traxx and 2 others like this.
  4. fastdadio

Oddometer:
    Yup. I've never kept a motorcycle this long before. Several times in the past, I've tried to list mine for sale. Then I ride it again, walk around it and look at it, then check to see what it's worth on the current market. It all adds up to the decision that there is no effin way I'll ever sell this bike.
    Maintenance? I can have the carb, air filter, spark plugs, and battery laying on the garage floor as fast as it takes to select the tools to do it with. Can't do that with any other bike ever made. Oil/filter change is a half a beer. Parts and service? The aftermarket is chukkabutt full of reasonably priced goodies to the point that a guy could build an entire Sportster without using one OEM part from the MoCo. There is value here that most people fail to see.
    :photog
  5. fastdadio

Oddometer:
    How uncouth. Do you like to camp?
    :photog
  6. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That’s my buddy bobs old ironhead. Been parked since 94, he asked me to keep it safe for him, so I got it chillin in the corner. Needs a couple things to get back on the road, we’ll get to it when he’s ready.
    Webman, Ginger Beard, Richy and 3 others like this.
  7. mikeysduck

mikeysduck Slow Ride to Nowhere

Oddometer:
    I describe my sporty as "unpasteurized" It feels good using all the torque.

Webman, Ginger Beard, Richy and 2 others like this.
  8. 83XLX

83XLX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Out for a ride Saturday before the temps got too hot. Ran out most of a tank of gas out in the country, just cruising at 55-60 mph and enjoying the scenery.

8-17-19e.jpg
    8-17-19b.JPG
  9. VicRattlehead

VicRattlehead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's been the funniest thing I've found with my Sportster, I'm consistently riding slower (55-60) and loving it. I laugh at myself often when I'm just 'cruising the countryside's and I look down and I'm running 45mph. :lol2 My sportbikes we're always 60-100mph on the exact same roads.
    With my sportbikes I enjoyed the thrill of the performance and the rush of acceleration, with the Sporty I just enjoy the simple pleasure of being on a motorcycle. :ricky
  10. VicRattlehead

Oddometer:
    I've always used the term 'distilled'. Seemed appropriate somehow. :D
    Webman and Richy like this.
  11. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    I'd hesitate to buy a Franken-bike. You have no dea what was done, if it was done right, or whether there's internal engine butchery.
  12. kemorobbie

kemorobbie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well.......I went and did it finally.......It rides rough drags in corners and i cant stop smiling the hole time! IMG_20190817_122919.jpg
  13. Backlund

Backlund Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok, it's done!

My mid-controls arrived at the door at about 10:30 this morning, and I wasted little time in yanking off the stock forwards and getting this bike 'right with the world' by installing the mids.

At about the time I was finished with that, the Harley dealer called and said that the piece of chrome tank trim I had ordered last week had come in, so off I went to fetch my new 'chunk-o'-useless-bling', and within fifteen minutes of getting back home, it too was installed.

I can now officially declare my 2015 XL1200C a finished project. It is now the Sportster I wanted to own and ride...
    IMG_20190820_145114924_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190820_145204853_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20190820_145357442_HDR.jpg

The mids are a vast improvement over the ridiculous forwards (to me), but they should be positioned closer in to the bike, they really stick out there (as did the forwards), and will certainly catch some pavement in any aggressive cornering, but, they're still a big step in the right direction.
    alpina, TonyKZ1, Richy and 9 others like this.
  14. Traxx

Traxx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, if I go with the Harley Stage I or II within the first 60 days of ownership it will be covered under warranty.
    Would it be worth it?
  15. VicRattlehead

Oddometer:
    Sportys pick up a not insignificant amount of power from the ubiquitous intake/exhaust/tuner mod. Whether it's worth it is completely up to you.
    Me personally, I'd never own a bike without flipping the perverbial bird at the EPA. :D
    Ginger Beard, HapHazard and Traxx like this.
  16. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    I'm the opposite.

I sold my Buell because with the full race kit (k&n, race ECM and supertrap and about 100 rwhp) it was too damn loud.

Sometimes the high flow AC on the Sportys just makes too much intake noise.

So I'm Kev... We've currently got 5 bikes (including two Harleys) with stock exhausts.

I'll add that the more stock a Harley is, the more reliable it is.
    Scoozi, WIsixfitty, TonyKZ1 and 4 others like this.
  17. Traxx

Traxx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think what it involves are the AC, slip ons and a tuner. I don’t want it any louder and am happy with the power. The dealer was telling me that if I was to do the screaming eagle upgrades that they would be covered under warranty.
    If it gets louder like Kev says then that would be a no go.
    aplaceinspace likes this.
  18. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    It probably wouldn't be as bad as the Supertrap that I opened up, repacked, and removed a few discs from.... But it's a danger.
    Traxx likes this.
  19. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the HD SE Stage 1 setup on my bike, works fine without excessive exhaust or intake racket and FWIW is EPA and even CARB (California) legal. From what I've read power increase is about 10% / 7HP or so for maybe 75HP on a 1200 (which is plenty for how I ride). As was said the noise level will vary greatly depending on who you buy the intake and exhaust components from.
    Traxx likes this.
  20. Traxx

Traxx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think I will wait until the warranty expires and do what I want. Thanks all for the input. 10% for $1200 just doesn’t seem like a good deal.
    Webman likes this.