Go Sportsters

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Bloodweiser, Dec 20, 2010.

1. CopyCat

CopyCat I am NOT like the others Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can someone here steer me to anyone that races a Sportster in the desert for information? I believe I'll be wanting a better filter than the one I have for super dusty conditions. Any help would be appreciated
  2. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:

What filter are you currently running?
  3. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:

Biltwell did the Baja and there is some articles on it. I have found biltwell easy to talk to give them a call

Richy, Traxx, Webman and 3 others like this.
  4. CopyCat

Oddometer:
    I have a K&N on Hammer base but I'm not convinced KN is the best fine dust filter.. I would probably be OK with a UNI foam pre filter, but still looking for one to fit
  5. CopyCat

Oddometer:
    Will do John, but there have been a bunch of off road Harleys built and IMO they are more hipster builds sort of thing. I figured someone that actually pays for their parts and races desert might have a more real life opinion. What sort of filter do you use? You are the real deal
  6. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:

That bike did race the Baja 1000. I wasn’t as concerned about silt but I used the hammer forward air cleaner with a k&n and then used uni foam over that. When I was in dusty environments. Never used the cloth sock that kN sells

Edit: this guy is the real deal here. Raced the Baja and use to be on the forum many years ago. Custom built frame just for the Baja by CJ designs. The filters on these bikes all look way small, but I assume it because they are more concern about silt, less so about performance.
    [​IMG]
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  7. CopyCat

Oddometer:
    True, and thats whuy I will give them a call. I wonder if the others care if they only get one race out of the cylinders? UNI foam huh? I cant seem to find one that would work with mods. Their sheets are only 12X16. Did you sew 2 strips together?
  8. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    K&N makes foam pre filters in a multitude of sizes. Measure your filter diameter and match. They stretch a bit.

I've been running a well oiled K&N on my Scramster for much of it's 90k miles and it has spent much of that life in Florida's dusty and sandy back country. Personally I wouldn't stress over it too much.
    Richy, Webman and johnwesley like this.
  9. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
  10. CopyCat

Oddometer:
    Oh Dave, my anxiety makes me over think anything. I would feel some better with a LITTLE bit of pre filter. I have always used foam filters on my dirt bikes and am very comfortable with them. Have you ever had to clean your K&N on the fly? I understand its a hassle
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  11. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    It’s not bad if you carry a small bottle of cleaner. Spray it on the out side let it soak for a minute and then rinse from the inside. Let it dry oil it and go. If you do the pre filter just Cary a spare oiled and in a zip lock bag. Easy to change and keep going once stoped clean and oil the dirty one and it will be ready for the next time you need it.. I did that with the klr
    Richy, Jarlaxle, Webman and 2 others like this.
  12. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    :lol3 Check that link I posted. Same type of foam that's used for dirtbike filters.

Yeah once on a 30 day trip. The people at a Pep Boys in GA let me spray it out with carb cleaner over their oil basin. I used the leftover 20-50 from my oil change to re-oil it. I'm not fancy.
    Richy, Traxx, Webman and 3 others like this.
  13. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

the gray colored pre filters in that link have much smaller passageways than the red and don't require oiling. they can be washed in a rest stop sink and put right back on.
    Webman and CopyCat like this.
  14. CopyCat

Oddometer:
    Might just work. They make a 5.5" X 9 and the KN oval is 9X6. I think I would rather have an oiled pre filter than the gray unoiled. Oh who am I kidding? Imma gonna wind up buying both to make my anxiety feel better:imaposerThat's why I have so damned many extra parts around here.
    Stasher1, thebigman, Richy and 5 others like this.
  15. CopyCat

Oddometer:
    Now that's the ticket. I did notice the real deal desert dudes all have those little round filters. And thanks for the memory, maybe it will jog someone else to remember a handle....and I wonder about that tank. Never mind, found him. PM sent
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/baja-harley-update.30023/
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/bajaharley-upgrades.735708/
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  16. relayer4u

relayer4u Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here was my attempt at a café rubber mount back in 2005:

IMG_0216.JPG
    JFrost, 83XLX, fastdadio and 8 others like this.
  17. iron2439

iron2439 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So much for keeping the new iron stock. I just scored a set of Vance and Hines twin slash black slip ons from eBay for $ 225. Seller claims he only used them for 300 miles before trading the bike. Very clean and look new in the pics. They arrive Monday im super pumped!
    Webman, WYO George, thebigman and 2 others like this.
  18. VicRattlehead

VicRattlehead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's just not possible (keeping them stock). It's like going to a buffet and saying 'Im just gonna get a salad'. :lol2
    Webman, HuntWhenever and iron2439 like this.
  19. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    LMAO...I spent a few moments trying to figure out what was going on with your "chin spoiler fairing." :baldy
  20. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    Be aware: they are obnoxiously loud without the V&H quiet baffles. He probably only used them for 300 miles because he was going deaf.