Go Sportsters

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Bloodweiser, Dec 20, 2010.

1. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    Since you have a very nice modern sport why not have an old classic looking one to knock around on and tinker
  2. VicRattlehead

VicRattlehead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd keep looking.
    For right around the same price you can find a newer model with the CV carb and 5sp; both worthwhile upgrades over the early Evo Sportys.
    HapHazard and Backlund like this.
  3. Backlund

Backlund Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll make a final decision regarding this bike after riding it (duh!!). I wasn't very fond of the last two 883's I text rode, and both were much later models than this one, but maybe, something about this one will push the right buttons, I can always hope.
  4. CopyCat

CopyCat I am NOT like the others Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK, engineering time. All opinions heard. I need to stiffen the 4" stretched swingarm on the Djbelster. Here is a picture of my proposed changes. Box in the curved pivot area 4" longer ( which would leave the stock arm length. Then add 1/2 X 1/2 steel square rod to top and bottom on arm. Trying to stop torsional twist. You all think this might do it?
    swingarm mods.jpg
    davyjones likes this.
  5. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    while i believe that will help some, triangulating along the arm will add more stiffness with the high point close to where you drew the curved line in front of the tire. at the high point tie it into the other arm. similar to what you see on sportbikes.

so basically take the line you drew and put say a 20 degree angle sloping up to ward the pivot
  6. CopyCat

Oddometer:
    Something like this? Should the area below it be boxed also? torsion swimgarm.jpg
  7. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    DB89003D-E49B-44EE-A32A-CE9302313A4E.jpeg

Like this I would think
    Richy, johnwesley, davyjones and 3 others like this.
  8. trumpet

trumpet Group W Bench

Oddometer:
    More like this. Yeah this is a Honda, but it would be the same for the Harley. Although a complete replacement might be wiser, as these swing arms(HD) aren't exactly beefy.

sw4.jpg
    davyjones, CopyCat and Mobiker like this.
  9. CopyCat

Oddometer:
    Ah so... Chain clearance will be an issue but I see. Others like @John Wesley and @madrider5150 don't seem to have the flex issue, but I did a 200 mile trip on asphalt the other day and I could definitely feel it flex when I would roll off the throttle hard, like the torque was twisting it. Not o much on throttle twist but it was there. Shaking the handlebars also produces the flex. Weird. I will explore this further. Wish i knew how to better engineer it but any strength can only help eh? Like this then?
    XS1-5.JPG
  10. trumpet

trumpet Group W Bench

Oddometer:

That's better, but I would extend the tubing to the ends of the arm. That round arm you pictured has forged axle slots, much stonger than the square sporty arm. Otherwise the next failure point is just likely the axle slots. if you google 'beefy swingarms'' you'll find what look like sporty swing arms that failed at the adjuster slots. The square tube swingarms should have the 'beef' extended to the end of the arm like the honda I pictured above.

Search string:https://www.google.com/search?clien...5#imgdii=BfsHX4uyPRe1AM:&imgrc=J3O9gALz_GtlaM:

rear swingarm3.JPG

Attached Files:

CopyCat likes this.
  11. CopyCat

Oddometer:
    Well, that fairly well sucks @trumpet That link is horrifying but I saw only big models with problem. Not that it couldn't happen to mine and I'll reinforce accordingly.. Looks like a major surgery is in the cards. I'm not sure the tubing CAN be extended to the ends of the arm. The shock and mount will be well in the way. Might have to get it as good as I can with what I have. Thank you for the thoughts. We will see. You think solid axle blocks would be a help?
  12. WIsixfitty

WIsixfitty rock and roll the bones

Oddometer:
    You could sandwich reinforce on the bottom sides around the axle easy enough. I was a bit surprised at the general lack of wall thickness on the sing-arm itself.

Make a simple tube structure either on top or below whilst making room for the chain which needs quite a bit btw.

Or a nice lower profile boxed section flat/sheet structure. Lotsa room ahead of the tire...
    Richy and villageidiot like this.
  13. CopyCat

Oddometer:
    I was hoping you would weigh in Dave @WIsixfitty . You going to want the whole bike for this? And it should probably be jigged for welding, yes? In fact I have been accumulating pictures for ideas.
  14. CopyCat

Oddometer:
  15. Weldman

Weldman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great lines on that bike.
  16. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:

@CopyCat this was what i was trying to say a smaller version that what you drew boxed in.

as you can see this arm isn't just an extended arm, it is also triangulated on the bottom side and has reinforcing plates welded to the extensions. this adds a lot of strength and was built by a guy who does custom hill climb bikes. he knows how to make it strong and rigid. it doesn't look much different but its knowing where and how to add strength that makes all the difference and why I farmed it out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    alpina, Webman, Richy and 5 others like this.
  17. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

That looks great!

doesn’t take much does it. 3/4” is about it
    johnwesley likes this.
  18. aplaceinspace

aplaceinspace Misanthropologist

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure you can put your reinforcement structure on the underside of the swingarm.
    Richy likes this.
  19. norseXL

norseXL Northman

Oddometer:
    Maybe get some even longer made up from aluminium to reach past the reinforcement.

Yepp, that would also make it easier to extend it past or at the shock mount.
    CopyCat likes this.
  20. WIsixfitty

WIsixfitty rock and roll the bones

Oddometer:

Just the swing-arm would be preferred as long as we can confirm the chain clearance. Yes it will be fixtured then most likely post weld trueing. When it comes to flatness our big thick granite table does not lie.
    CopyCat likes this.