Go Sportsters

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Bloodweiser, Dec 20, 2010.

1. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Still got the funky exhaust?
    Dirt Road Cowboy likes this.
  2. Dirt Road Cowboy

Dirt Road Cowboy I aim to misbehave.

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it's wrapped now, and we both kinda like it (at least for the time being).

caboose 1.jpg
    Ginger Beard and Jed Clampett like this.
  3. SilveradoCA

SilveradoCA Wildling

Oddometer:
    Sorry... where what? The reality TV show? I'm not sure because I don't own a TV, but probably on the History Channel, which seems to be rife with BS reality shows, and scant on history. I think it's called Highway to Hell or through Hell.
  4. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    Where are you located and where are you looking for a bike?
  5. SilveradoCA

SilveradoCA Wildling

Oddometer:
    LOL Oh, I'm in Calgary, AB.
  6. Webman

Webman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congratulations! That's right up my alley as an ideal starting point! What are your modification plans? I look forward to seeing your bike become your own.
    Dirt Road Cowboy likes this.
  7. bilge rat

bilge rat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well fuk me running, I'd give that a go too!
    I'm having trouble getting my '04 to feel right.
  8. bilge rat

bilge rat Been here awhile

Oddometer:

This...
    Webman likes this.
  9. buehlau

buehlau n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello everybody,

I´ve been reading here for quite a while and thought it was time to show my 2003 883.

Having previously owned a 690 Enduro each ride on the Sporty is pure holiday and relaxation and I enjoy it a lot.
    IMG_20200801_191510.jpg

Be safe and stay healthy!

Greetings from the east of Germany!
  10. Webman

Webman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool bike, man! What seat is that? I haven't seen one like it before.
  11. buehlau

buehlau n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot, the seat is from easyriders japan. Quite pricey but absolutely worth it. I didn´t like the original low seat.

They don´t seem to have in stock now but there are several similar ones https://www.webike.de/products/1604218.html for example.
    Jed Clampett, Webman and Ginger Beard like this.
  12. rokytnji

rokytnji Been here awhile

Oddometer:

She is old but tight.
    [​IMG]
    pnhd65, Philthy64, Bors and 8 others like this.
  13. rc51owner

rc51owner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They are too expensive in Calgary (when dealers try to sell used bikes for more than MSRP of the new bikes you know there is a problem - they are living in the past). I would, and am going to, buy from the states where there is a glut of used bikes at reasonable prices. Yep even with our weak dollar it makes financial sense.

Cheers,

M
    Richy, Webman, trumpet and 2 others like this.
  14. VicRattlehead

VicRattlehead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How she sits today (not a whole lot different).
    IMG_20190918_174620512_HDR.jpg

Changes thus far:
    -Swapped out the 12" shocks that were on it for a set of 13.5" Progressives I had kicking around. The 12's (also Progressives) weren't completely horrible but I wanted the added cornering clearance of the longer shocks.

-Never liked the factory head breather setup puking hot oil mist down the carb throat so that necessitated an air cleaner change. Since I'm a cheap bum I grabbed an $18 cone filter from the parts store and fabbed up a steel backing plate to mount it to the carb. Works fine, only got maybe $50 in it, including the breather reroute, and I even gained a touch of knee clearance. :D

-Though I really liked the look of the bench seat, the padding on it is VERY thin which is not only pretty uncomfortable, it sends vibes right up into the 'unmentionables', making longer highway rides unpleasant. :lol2
    My solution was to take the factory 2 piece seat (came with the bike) and remove the rear portion. I then took the luggage rack off the back of a sissy bar, that also came with the bike, and fabbed a bracket to mount it to the seat where the factory passenger pad went and then another bracket to attach it to the fender (the original seat mounting point).
    That turned out like this:
    IMG_20190915_145215473_HDR.jpg

Then a set of throw over bags I had and a fresh set of tires since the HD Dunlops that were on it were not only one of the most wretched tires ever made but also pretty worn.
    The whitewalls were a 'why the heck not' kinda thing. :lol2 I really dig em' and they've been great so far.

Future plans include:
    -First on the list is upgrading to a 4 pot front caliper. That stock single pot leaves a lot to be desired.

-Then ditch the drag pipes. Though I don't necessarily hate them, I don't like the 'hole in the middle' powerband they tend to promote, especially on a bike with a luscious midrange like a 1200 Sporty.
    I have a factory 2:1 head pipe on the shelf (eBay find :D) but since it won't work with the forwards I'm going to fab up rearsets for it (factory mids are kinda cramped for me). Just gotta find time. I'll then slap a reverse megaphone muffler on it from Cone Engineering to keep the vintage-y vibe going.

-Id also like to add some padding to the bench seat and put it back on. I love the look and that factory solo seat is just too soft and causes numb-buns after a couple hours.

-Then it'll be time to call Hammer Performance for some fun parts. :D
    Jed Clampett, Bors, alpina and 9 others like this.
  15. Webman

Webman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a solid plan! I love your creative repurposing of the rack, do you have any close-ups or process photos? I'd really like to see how you did that. I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to see exactly how you managed to do the air cleaner setup, as well. That total price is pretty amazing, too!
  16. n8mandy

n8mandy Just hangin' around

Oddometer:
    Why, oh why with the popularity of scrambles has no one else made one of these?
    C'mon people! Do you not want to make more money?
  17. n8mandy

Oddometer:
    I can't get the right side battery/electronic crap cover to stay on my Iron.

Can someone please take a photo of where everything is supposed to be routed so that I can fix the ridiculously cramped layout and secure the thingamabobs and doohickeys?
  18. n8mandy

Oddometer:
    My rear ABS is an anti brake system. If I want to remove it, can I just cut the wire?
  19. n8mandy

Oddometer:
    20200807_104233.jpg
    So I rode from the Santa Cruz back to "home" aka Pacific Beach in San Diego the last two days.
    We are moving back after 14 years and I had to come down early for a job interview and to do some preliminary things on the house before we move down everything next week.
    It was a great ride, the Iron performed flawlessly, my middle age body did not. :D
  20. 83XLX

83XLX Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just scored a rare part on eBay - the low profile passenger pad that goes with the thin 1983 XLX seat. A one year only accessory part, first one I’ve ever seen for sale.

3B1F8796-A830-467A-8DCA-552F632FD18C.jpeg 27691D16-976E-4A7D-B406-B71621005AB1.jpeg
    AZbiker, alpina, c1skout and 9 others like this.