Goin’ to Montana for a demo ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by ScottFree, Aug 6, 2019.

1. ScottFree

ScottFree Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Epilogue

So that was the expedition. For me, fourteen days on the road, 4300 miles, 530 on the Himalayan, of which about 100 were dirt. I’ve added two roads, Skyline Drive in Utah and Echo Park Road in Dinosaur, to my list of “Western Dirt Roads to be Ridden Someday.” Somehow it seems that every time I check off one item on the “bucket list,” I add two more.

Held my use of the Interstate Highway System to under 230 miles, of which more than half was going across Utah so I could ride I-70 eastward through the San Rafael Reef. It is amazing how you can go just about anywhere in the country without getting on the devil's own highway. Good thing to know if I'm going to travel on a Himalayan.

The Oktoberfest lager from Kinkaider was indeed excellent.

I was back at the physical terrorist—I mean, therapist—for my hip on Monday morning. It’s still bothering me some, but I’m walking better. The surgery on my elbow went well. The hand therapist says I can ride a motorcycle on short trips, “around the neighborhood,” for the next several weeks, as things heal. I’m using a generous definition of “neighborhood.”

As for the Harley, an oil change, primary adjustment, and new rubber bushings in the muffler hangers put an end to the ominous noises. The bike still sports a thick layer of splattered bugs, which I’m gonna need to remove before winter. Not looking forward to that.

My Riding Buddy got back a couple days before I did, via Walden, North Platte, and Des Moines. He said Poudre Canyon is pretty well recovered from the fires of 2012.

And finally... the stated “purpose” of this trip was to help decide if I wanted to get a Himalayan. Well...

2A01DFB8-EE85-4968-8819-67E8F7DC29EE.jpeg

Think that’s about it!
    Kruzof, knight, Mofrid and 2 others like this.
  2. LogHouseBikers

LogHouseBikers Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your adventures. I enjoyed the RR.

And welcome to the Himma crowd!
  3. ScottFree

ScottFree Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Three months later...

I finally edited some of the GoPro footage into a real video:

Enjoy. Still have several more videos to edit, but having spent more time editing 40 minutes of raw footage into a nine-minute video than I spent actually riding in the Gravellys, I don't know when I'll get around to it...