Going Around Lost Angeles

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by fish, May 6, 2002.

1. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    I need to run down to La Jolla from the Bay Area next week for business. What's the best way around LA? I really don't want to go through LA again.

TIA
  2. Chopperman

Chopperman I am dead

Oddometer:
    nevada and arizona
  3. drholm

drholm Easily Amused

Oddometer:
    A 40ft cigarette hull should be just about right...:nod
  4. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Perhaps I should be more specific. I'd like to get to SD in a day, but if I don't, no biggie. Therefore, I want a route to the east of LA, through the SBV that doesn't suck up a bunch of time. tyvm.
  5. Pinarretta

Pinarretta Wubba Lubba Dub Dub Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can give you better specifics if I knew more about your route, but here's one shot:

From 101 S, head East onto 166. Take that out to Cerro Noroeste/ Forrest Hwy 95 (about 6 miles east of the 33 south turnoff). Turn Right and take that road Past Pine Mountain Club(it becomes Mil Portero there. When Mil Potrero ends, turn Left onto Frazier Park Road and take that out to I-5 at Gorman. These are generally good motorcycling roads that won't slow you down.

To Slab around LA, take I-5 down to 210 East. Depending on the time of day, 210 will bog down when you hit Pasadena fora few miles. Stay on 210 until it becomes 57. Take 57 until it rejoins 5 south.

This is just one of many possibilities. If I knew more about where you're coming into LA from and heading to in SD (and what time) I could give you some better specifics.

Also, I live near where 210 meets 2 if you want a place to stop by on the route.

-Paul
  6. Pinarretta

Pinarretta Wubba Lubba Dub Dub Supporter

Oddometer:
    Also, there's a non-slab route from Gorman, but it take a bit more time.

Take Gorman Post Road to Old Ridge Route to Pine Canyon Rd past Lake Hughes, then there's a number of choices depending on if you want to come out near 5 or 15. I can give more details on that if you're interested.
  7. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Sure...sounds cool. If I can get up early enough, that might be a good place to eat. Maybe sleep too. I padded my schedule by a day, cuz you just never know what's gonna happen.
  8. jschnitz

jschnitz Freeway Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fish,

Here is a good map of the roads from Riverside down. So if you want to head east around LA you can connect up to some of these. I dont know much about the roads around LA however.

Ride Map
  9. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    Fish

You only have 4 real choices. The first two (Hy 1, 101) and Hy 5 both dump you into the heart of La La land. The third is Cajon Canyon, Hy15, or number 4 you run way east through Victorville., Yucca Valley, etc.

15 is not pretty but it runs fast, sometimes very fast with commute traffic running close to 90mph before you drop in to San Bernardino. Once in SB you can take 215 all the way or 15. I would take 215. These are not scenic choices but you must already know that.

I would run the North side of the San Gabriel Mountains. Do not, I repeat, do not go cut through Palmdale to 138! 45 min of stop and go any time of the day. You can run farther south on 14 a few miles and pick up a secondary road to 138 east. I don’t have the map with me but I can find the name if you need it. It is the same exit as Angeles Crest Hy. I would then run 15, 215 unless I had time to explore some of the secondary roads.

LA is just a big pit ya must get through
  10. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, I do a couple of runs a year to the bay area or Monterey from San Diego, and we always bypass LA.

As you are coming south, the usual split of point to miss LA is on 5 South at Gorman. We take the 138 exit for a few miles and then take N4, which is a nice little twisty into Palmdale. From there we gas up, get on the 14 South for a few miles and then take the Angeles Forest Hwy, to Upper Tujunga Road, that will run into the Angeles Crest Hwy (2). This we take east all the way to Wrightwood. Generally, by this time on a one day trip from the bay area, it should be getting to sunset. We sometimes will stay in Wrightwood at the Pines Motel (kinda cheap, dumpy cabins), which have a cigar store. bar/pizza joint, and a breakfast restaurant all in one block. The Crest and Wrightwood are beautifil this time of year and you don't have to get some crappy motel down in the valley of smog.

The next day, just drop down the mountain into Hwy 15 South and you are on your way to San Diego, missing all of LA.

Anyway, have a good ride.
  11. freaking RT

freaking RT will golf for food

Oddometer:
    dayum. :puke

ya'll are making me have bad memories of spending three months in Orange county and la la land a few years back. that place sucks for traffic, air, number of people, etc, etc.
  12. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Thank you all for your suggestions. I think the route I'm going to shoot for is 101 - 166 - Cerro Noroeste Rd / Potrero Hwy / Cuddy Valley Rd - Frazier Mtn Pk Rd in to Gorman. South on 5 a bit to 138 - N2 Pine Canyon Rd - Elizabeth Lake Rd - 138 - 15 - 215 - 15 - 52 - La Jolla. If I have time, alt. would be from Palmdale, 14 - N3 Angeles Forest Hwy - Upper Big Tujunga Rd - 2 Angelest Crest to 138 ...

We'll see how early I can drag my lazy ass out of bed an on the bike tomorrow.

On the way home, again if I have time, I'd like to head over 126 from Santa Clarita to 150 - 33 - 166 - 58 and west to 101.

Catch ya next weekend! :coo:

[​IMG]
  13. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
  14. cRAsH

cRAsH Banned

Oddometer:
    Have a great ride, bud. :thumb
  15. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Rolled into the driveway about two hours ago. Other than the work part in the middle, the ride was great. I took advantage of just about every suggested road on the way down or back. Soon as I have another beer or six, I'll post a ride report. Oh wait...this is a ride report. nevermind.

I'll post some pix too. Kinda thirsty right now tho.

1645 new posts in six days? oh man....
  16. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Cool. I pretty much did this, but in reverse. 210 sucks, but not as much as the other freeways.
  17. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Did both of these roads too. 74 is smooth and sweet. Weird how it dumps you in that shithole called Lake Elsinore. I guess it wouldn't be so bad if you had a boat, but fercrissakes, no trees?!
  18. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Rad, did all of this too :):
  19. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Did all of this too, Shafty! Including the bar at Wrightwood. What a weird place. But didn't stay at the Pines...stayed at the other motel across the street.

Breakfast was at the joint at the 2/138 intersection.