1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Going back to Cali

Discussion in 'Americas' started by llirttoc, Jun 29, 2020.

1. llirttoc

llirttoc Adventure life

Oddometer:
    I'm planing a trip west starting in Peasant City, Ohio and ending in Orange, CA. Leaving July 10th and heading back around the end of the month. My mother lives in Orange with her husband and her memory is fading. She thought she saw me and my friend in her back yard the other day and ask me on the phone why i did not stop by?? I'm currently laid off so... why not?? We are riding two up on a '12 Super Tenere. I have no route plans other than to head west and try to avoid the super slab as much as possible. Pikes Peak is of interest for me because I was on the summit in '09 on a Ural Patrol with my son and it's a very cool ride. Then probably on to Moab.
    Any travel advisories, tips on routes, places to stay or any kind of harassment please advise.
    This will be me longest one way ride, btw.
    I plan on doing my first ride report as well.

Peace

Attached Files:

9Realms, Parcero and Dracula like this.
  2. straightrod

straightrod Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good luck with your trip. As you said avoid The slap. I might want to add to avoid any crazy metropolitan situations as you travel.
  3. llirttoc

llirttoc Adventure life

Oddometer:
    Thanks Straightrod and for sure we are staying out of the cities.
  4. llirttoc

llirttoc Adventure life

Oddometer:
    We want to ride around the Pikes Peak area for a couple of days. Does anyone have suggestions for an Airbnb or other lodging outside of Colorado Springs??
    I think we're going to hightail it to the pikes peak area and then start enjoying the new scenery and roads.
  5. llirttoc

llirttoc Adventure life

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for a route from Manitou Springs to Moab via Pikes Peak. Paved two lane because the girlfriend is not ready for dirt. Rt24 from pikes peak is probably the only option then south to rt50 would be good for awhile?? but then it connects with I70. Any suggestions? I just discovered the butler maps, I ordered a little too late, it wont arrive until a day after i leave.
  6. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Ride safe.
    I say that because I read about another inmate hear recently that died in a crash in the last several days, and unrelated to that I had a ride chum over father's day smack a deer and is now quite messed up.
    So be careful.
  7. Eyes Shut

Eyes Shut See no evil Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    A couple of things:
    • Moab is going to be hot, hot, hot. Just be aware of that.
    • Routing from Pikes Peak to Moab: Highway 24 to US 50 is good. You can take either of two alternatives to avoid I-70. First, if you go through Delta, continue north to 141, and take it west and south to Vancorum; then take 90/46 west to La Sal Junction; then take191 north to Moab. The second route is from Montrose, take 550 south to Ridgeway, then 62 west to Placerville, then take 145 northwest to Naturita/Vancorum, then 90/46 west to La Sal Junction; then 191 north to Moab.
    • Manitou Springs has an oldish, cool motel, the El Colorado Lodge. We (SO and me) stayed there several years ago: https://el-colorado-lodge.com/
    Personally, I would stick to riding around Colorado more than eastern Utah at this time of year. Mountain peaks, higher altitudes, cooler temps. There are plenty of less-trafficked roads that are paved and are fun for exploration.

Getting to California requires some sort of desert crossing no matter what (unless you go really far north, and then take the coast down), but if you stay in Colorado, and then head south into northern New Mexico and Arizona, you can mostly avoid significant amounts of desert. Not totally, of course.

Have fun! BTW, I'm the passenger on our bike and I love riding two-up! Make sure your GF has protective and comfortable gear.
    sealsam likes this.
  8. llirttoc

llirttoc Adventure life

Oddometer:

I like your sig line, lol. And as always I'll be careful. Thanks 9Realms
  9. llirttoc

llirttoc Adventure life

Oddometer:

Thanks for all of your advice! I looked over your route suggestions and now my head is gonna explode, lol. We will now skip Moab this time of year, I know we don't want to ride in 100 deg temps for very long. I could stay on 50/70 until Carson City check out Tahoe area, last time I was there I was 15 years old now I'm 51. Then Yosemite 395 to 120 to 140. And then... And then... IDFK??? I doesn't really matter we will be on the bike. And the GF has good riding gear and she looks hot in it as well. Stay tuned, our route is always subject to change!
  10. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just consume heavy amounts of water & sport drinks in the heat, you'll be fine.

Keep all skin surfaces covered! Long sleeves, wrap the neck and wrap your wrist's or you'll have a devil of a burn.

If you happen to wonder near So UT at all, make sure you ride Hwy 12 north of Bryce. Arguably one of America's best!! The town of Torrey is a cool hangout with Capitol Reef NP just a few miles east, completely jaw dropping area.

What's the plan once here? Time to ride? Do you know the area or do you need some tips for SoCal?

Your trip will be epic!
    Trip Hammer likes this.
  11. llirttoc

llirttoc Adventure life

Oddometer:

Thanks for the hot weather tips! I changed my route to include 12 and now I'm looking a driving through Yosemite via Lee Vining on 120 we will check out the Yosemite Falls, we are big on water falls and hot springs, then stay on 41 all the way to Morro Bay on PCH. Does any think or know of any road closures on 41 or in Yosemite? Or I should cal Caltrans or there is probably a Yosemite number to call.
    Once in Cali we will hang out with my mother in Orange. She moved us to Huntington Beach in 1987 I went to Ocean View HS then to Orange Coast Collage. I had a Yamaha Virago 750 at the time. I did explore mostly orange county but I moved back to Ohio in '91. The GF is flying back to Ohio on the 21st then back on the 30th to ride back with me to Ohio. We will ride as much as possible!! I do need to hit Mulholland and the Rock Shop, I never made it there. We did the Ortega hwy to Dana Point then up to Venice Beach on PCH. The split lane riding freaked her out at first but she stayed centered and calm and later thought is was very cool! Any suggestions are appreciated!
    sealsam likes this.
  12. Eyes Shut

Eyes Shut See no evil Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yosemite, and Highway 120, now require reservations for day use. This affects all vehicles entering Yosemite:
    https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/covid19.htm
    sealsam likes this.
  13. llirttoc

llirttoc Adventure life

Oddometer:
    Well... Yosemite is out on this trip. We will head south on 395 to Mammoth Lakes. I skied Mammoth back in the day when i was on the OCC ski team so kinda familiar but that was a looooong time ago.
    sealsam likes this.
  14. ADV Wanderer

ADV Wanderer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Try checking out Angeles Crest Highway (Hwy 2 from La Cañada Flintridge/Pasadena to Wrightwood). Its a bit fast/crazy on the weekends but is an awesome 55 mile ride in the mountains. Better than Mulholland/Rock Store in my opinion (but you do need to run The Snake at least once in your life!).
    sealsam and Eyes Shut like this.
  15. llirttoc

llirttoc Adventure life

Oddometer:

It's funny you mention hwy 2. I was looking at that on my map wondering if it would be a good ride. It will be added to my list. I worked as a welder in '90 and we did some construction on a new church on Mulholland Dr. But was never on my bike. I remember the view was awesome overlooking the valley. After I crashed the Virago a month out of High school, I picked up a HD chopper in San Berdo. I was working in El Toro so Cooks Corner was just down the road, I would have lunch there on occasion, and I loved riding around the Trabuco Canyon area. We will check that out as well. I sure it has all changed. My GF does great in the twisties we did some BRP and Tail of the Dragon last summer. But... I have 8 days on my own so i would like to do some high spirited rides with others if possible.
    sealsam likes this.
  16. llirttoc

llirttoc Adventure life

Oddometer:
    Well...
    Setting in the living room drinking my coffee at 4:30am and the GF is off to work in Columbus, I'm going over my check list and in the back ground the I can hear the clock ticking, I have been waiting patiently for the day I could achieve this experience and share it with the person I love. Every tic gets me closer to my goal. I'm so excited, but hoping I will be able to sleep tonight. Not much time left for trip planning now. The GF and I have our stuff packed and I will load the Super Tenere down today with it's heaviest burden ever, but the thing is a beast and won't even flinch.
    Center stand up at 5am and we will start our first cross country ride chasing the sun to the Pacific Ocean. This is not our first multi day ride. We went to Murrells Inlet for a week then down to Charleston, SC for a couple of days last summer, we took two lane roads most of the way. It rained off and on for 3 days on the way home. The GF is a Nurse and was not feeling well. She has had the flu a few times and was thinking of flying home, so we stopped at an urgent care to see what her issue was. After the test came back as bronchitis she said "I'm good let's pick up my meds and finish the trip" She is awesome!! There is no doubt our trip will be epic. Also I will do a ride report, another first for me. I discovered this site very early 2000's lurked for a few years then joined. I sat in a control room pouring over ride reports day dreaming about being out there living the dream. Does anyone remember the ride report I think it was titled "doing america on 40 bucks a day"? Or how about the inmate named "The Striking Viking" I don't think I'll be able to do a ride report that stays at the top of the page every day like them, but they have inspired me along with a thousands of others over 19 years of sitting in the confines of a soap factory control room wishing I was somewhere else.
    sealsam, Trip Hammer and Eyes Shut like this.
  17. llirttoc

llirttoc Adventure life

Oddometer:
    I will continue this in day tripping. We ride at 5!