Going local (and beyond) in Central Colorado

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by rrittner, Apr 23, 2020.

1. rrittner

rrittner Racing for not last

Oddometer:
    Got out today and decided to ride up to Aspen and top of Taylor Pass via Express Creek rd.
    Express Creek rd is a fun road, short, technical. Nothing bad just entertaining enough that you can also look at the scenery and not get yourself into trouble.

First stop the town of Ashcroft

IMG_1806.JPG IMG_1807.JPG

Futher up the road is Pearl Pass - I'm going to do that in August sometime come over from the Crested Butte side and make it an overnighter.

Half way up the pass IMG_1809 - 2.jpg

I didn't take any pictures from the top of the pass. I have a few videos that I'm going to share as soon as they upload. Be back in a few.
  2. rrittner

Oddometer:
    Finally got the video uploaded
    I did a few drone videos from the top. Funny I use a drone for work to inspect out towers and the roof of the structures that are located with them. Pretty easy stuff fly around and video the structure take closeups of any thing that might need attention. Doing this I feel like a total putz. You can tell I don't know what the fuck to do with myself. Anyway I enjoyed the scenery so I'm sharing.

Thoreau9000 and rvsparky like this.
  3. rrittner

Oddometer:
    So from the top of the pass i rode out around the saddle above the lake in the video.
    this is looking back toward where I was before.

IMG_1811.JPG
    From here i road back up to the top of the pass and then started to ride the Taylor Divide road to Gold Hill and then Richmond Hill Rd. Lots of dirt bikers out felt like I was riding a Gold wing.

IMG_1812.JPG IMG_1813.JPG
    The road eventually ends up on Aspen Mtn at the top of the gondola. I didn't stop at the top, was tired of all the dirty looks I was getting from the hikers. Here is one from the way down.

IMG_1814.JPG
    Ended up in town had a burger at CP burgers then rode home. Nice day out fun loop.

Next up I'm taking my big bike for an overnight to Independence Rock up in Wyoming. Should be a good road trip.

Hope you enjoyed the pictures
    TropicalDale and Thoreau9000 like this.
  4. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    Nice pics. Thanks for taking us along.:thumb
  5. BrockEvan

BrockEvan Brock Warwick Supporter

Oddometer:
    great stuff
  6. ugaskidawg

ugaskidawg n00b

Oddometer:
    That road along the north rim of the black canyon might be the nicest piece of asphalt in the state.
  7. Utrider1

Utrider1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank for the tip on River Rd, tying 90 and 141. I have been through this area several times and thoroughly enjoy it.

Is there any dirt bypasses from Grand Junction to Gateway? I really like Gateway, and have been there every which way.

Also, on Baxter Pass area, have you ever gone up to Dragon, Utah? I have been eyeballing that road for 3 years now, and just need to nut up and check it out. I have a 1200cc big bike, so any insights on the road/area are appreciated.

Dig the pics!
  8. rrittner

Oddometer:
    I road thru Dragon several years ago, didn’t see much. At the time it was late and raining and road was muddy and slick. I do remember that every time I stopped at a good camp site it was covered in cow patties, finally found a hunting camp that I could set up in.

The other side of Baxter pass is easy. The area has had a lot of gas wells put in and the companies maintain the roads very well. I wouldn’t do it in the rain on a big bike tho. Last time I got over the pass I was on a XR650l and it was a handful on the mud, I was also really loaded up with camping equipment.

There does seem to be a road or it might be a quad track that crosses from the Delores triangle ( triangle road) down to the valley where gateway is located. From looking at Google Earth is seems to fade in and out and where it drops down could be a little gnarly, or it could be a really awesome ride.
    Utrider1 likes this.
  9. Utrider1

Utrider1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, mud and the big bikes, es no bueno! I've eyeballed those roads from the triangle as well, I was looking at some of the stuff a bit to the east of Gateway off of 141. I guess I will have to put my explorer hat on and go for a ride.

Good to know about the oil service rigs up there and yes, they do keep those roads in pretty good shape.

Thanks for the reply!