Going local (and beyond) in Central Colorado

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by rrittner, Apr 23, 2020.

1. rrittner

rrittner Racing for not last

Oddometer:
    Yep that was my oil pan, I was very aware of burning up my engine stopped several times to check everything. On all the downhills I turned off my engine and coasted, walked all the longer climbs (only 2) to choose my line and not get hung up on a rock.
    Also this model has a rotax engine which I think are tough. I really like the bike and I think it was just bad luck. I do have a Ricochet skid plate that's 4 mm thick so it's not like I wasn't protected.
  2. rrittner

Oddometer:
    So after my little adventure outside Grand Junction, I got my bike fixed up and installed an upgrade. I've been wanting to improve the suspension of the bike, it's ok but if you push the bike it's definitely lacking. So i ordered the Touratech long travel kit. So that installed I wanted to test it somewhere. I had a 5 day weekend so I was planning to spend a day out at the Floy exit and then drice down to Page AZ. Floy exit is the exit after C resent Junction (Moab turn off) and before Green River. But the latest video from the UDOT cameras were showing that area covered with snow. So a change of plans, drive down to Valley of the Gods to camp and take the bike for a spin. Then on to Page, AZ where I had a campsite reserved.

Onion Creek on the way down.

IMG_2189.JPG

Camp site at Valley of the Gods, I unloaded the bike and went for a ride. Then I set up camp.

IMG_2193.JPG

Several pics from the ride and I also road up Moki Dugway

IMG_2194.JPG
    IMG_2196.JPG

IMG_2197.JPG
    And top of Moki

IMG_2202.JPG
    And camp the next morning. Was nice to camp with a large tent and all the luxuries.

IMG_2204.JPG
    So far the suspension upgrade was nice. Didn't feel harsh or that is was bottoming out all the time. Very plush but kinda firm. The road thru the valley is really mellow with a few rough areas.

I had a campsite reserved at Wahweap campground. My plan was to explore the area. One of the roads that I wanted to ride was the back country byway from Page to Escalate, Smokey Mountain Road about 75 miles.

I will continue tomorrow, I also have some video of the ride going up the first climb which was awesome.
  3. LBW

LBW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Please take some good pictures on smokey mountain road; it's on my list for the next year or two.
  4. rrittner

Oddometer:
    Got to Page early afternoon set up my tent had lunch and went for a ride. I didn't take any pictures just kinda road around town and check out a few side roads.

Saturday morning i had planned to ride Smokey Mtn Rd to Escalate as an out an back, thinking I would grab some lunch while I was there. That didn't work out. Escalante sits on a higher plateau and still had a lot snow. About half way thru the ride I started to run into snow, not much just enough so that there was mud underneath the made everything really slick. Seemed mostly on the downhills so after a few hills that were going to be a real bitch on the return I decided to make a loop out of my ride.

Up to Escalante over to Cannonville, then down thru Kodachrome basin back to Page.

Smokey loop.png

Anyway Started around 11 and had a great ride. Smokey Mtn Rd was not difficult other than the snow and mud. I had to really slow down for those sections, than Utah mud that is even hard to walk across.

Start of the ride, across the flats to the first climb was a nice day warming up quickly.

IMG_2210.JPG IMG_2211.JPG IMG_2212.JPG IMG_2213.JPG IMG_2214.JPG IMG_2215.JPG
    Very nice road fun to open it up and do a little sliding. I wouldn't be caught out here after a rain storm. Than grey soil turns to sticky clay and can really ruin you day - yes I do know thats my second front fender the other one is out in Utah around Roberts Bottom having been shattered and ripped off by that shit. I also smoked a clutch from that same ride.

First climb.

IMG_2216.JPG IMG_2217.JPG IMG_2218.JPG
  5. rrittner

Oddometer:
    More of the first climb

IMG_2219.JPG IMG_2220.JPG
    From here you ride across a plateau for about 10 miles
  6. rrittner

Oddometer:
    Looking Across the plateau, the road was really smooth and fast.

IMG_2222.JPG
    More of the ride going into Escalante.

IMG_2223.JPG IMG_2224.JPG

Thats all the photos I took, was a nice ride would like to do it early summer when the road is dry. I hit Ecalante at around 2:30 so hauled ass over to Cannonville got gas and road across Kodachrome Basin. With the sun setting around 5 - 5:30 I didn't take any more pictures was just trying to make it back before dark not so much because of the light but the temperature was really dropping after dark.

I'm happy with the suspension upgrade, a few adjustments to make but the bike is really nice to ride over rough terrain, no more tensing up or looking for the smoothest line. Even jumping was very controlled. Now I just need to pay that shit off. The only other problem with the 800gs is the rear wheel size - I would like it to be 18" so I could have a better range of tires to choose from. But now with the tall seat and long suspension upgrade (20mm higher on both ends) the bike is getting tall, kinda at the limits of how high I can go and touch the ground.

Next day I rode over to Lees Ferry and back. Beautiful area really cool beach might come back here with the family.

IMG_2226.JPG
    Monday I headed back home. I turned off at Monticello and drove into Gateway. I've never taken this road I wasn't in a rush so it was a nice way to get back home.

That's Lone Cone in the background.

IMG_2229.JPG

I plan on doing Utah BDR late this spring or early summer. Probably break it up into 2 parts. And I'll drive this way down to the start, much more entertaining road that 191 down from Moab.

That's it I'll post a video of the first climb up Smokey Mtn Rd as soon as I stitch it together. I wanted to use my drone for a few shots but my son is using it. But I got a Runcam 5 for X-mas and I'm learning how to use it - nice little camera.
    black 8, swimmer, Muscongus and 2 others like this.
  7. rrittner

Oddometer:
    Here is my video going up the first climb on Smokey Mtn Rd. Didn't do any editing no music just 22 1/2 minutes of me riding and a stop half way up to take pictures. Enjoy

8. rrittner

Oddometer:
    Haven't posted in a while, not much riding except to run some errands around the valley. Well thats going to change. I have 3 weeks off and I'm riding to Florida to meet up with my family who have been working on an organic farm since January.

I have 10 days to get to Pananma City where we will be staying by the beach for a week. My family will remain out east till June and I'll be riding back after the beach week.

Since I don't have to rush to get to Florida I'm going to cover some roads that I've read about on ADV rider.
    1. Corinado Trail in Eastern Arizona
    2. Bid Bend - and do the River Road
    3. The 3 Twisted Sisters Loop West of San Antonio

I've rented a cabin in Bandero, Tx for 2 nights So I could enjoy the 3 Sisters without being loaded up.

This past weekend I spent all my time in the garage going through the bike and getting her ready. Engine, Tranny, Rear Diff oil change. Flush all the brake lines ( on a 2004 GSA with syncro brakes its a long job).
    Adjust the valves, and balance the throttle bodies. And lastly flush the clutch. Whew but it needed to be done.

Anyway I leave tomorrow around noon and hopefully make it to Cortez by 5 or 6. Trying to get around some weather that is heading this way.

The Bike, she is really loaded down!!

YIWX2245.JPG

Anyway I will post some pictures as I can, video also if I have a good internet connection.
    bikerjim2000 and Muscongus like this.
  9. rrittner

Oddometer:
    Ok I promised to post as I was doing my trip, I didn't so shame on me. But hey it's not like I'm making money at this .

My bike loaded up, 3 weeks on the road that's a lot of stuff.

IMG_2291.JPG

I gad planned to leave on Friday, March 26. But looking at the weather a front was heading down and was going to pass thru western Colorado on Friday. So I could leavfe on Thursday or wait and head out on Saturday. I had some overtime so my boos let me trade that out and leave at noon Thursday. I booked a room at a Hotel in Cortez - Glad I did!!
    My route on Thursday.
    maps day 1.png

I didn't take any pictures, was riding thru light rain and snow. There is a section between Gateway and Cortez where you leave the canyon and pop up onto the plateau by Monticello and it's always a windy area and seems that weather is usually moving thru this area. Anyway got to the holtal and had a hot shower, went and got some dinner. Put a cover on my bike and watched a movie in my hotel room. Next morning:
    IMG_2296.JPG
    I knew this was coming - so glad I got a hotel!! About 2-3 inches on wet snow. I waited until 10AM, the roads were clearing saw some patches blue sky around.
    Day 2 route
    map day 2.png
    The first half of the day was getting thru snow squalls and dealing with wind. Between Shiprock and Gallup I hit a blizzard, I was seriously questioning my intelligence on starting this trip. For about and hour I was riding at 35 mph and was watching the road to make sure the snow wasn't sticking visibility was down to about 100 yds . Glad I had heated grips!! My toes not so much. The closer I got to Alpine, AZ the better it got. By the time I got to the start of the Coronado Trail - one of three roads / trails I planned my route to Florida around. The Coronado trail runs between Alpine, AZ to Clifton, AZ also know as the Devils Highway it was # as Highway 666 but was changed to 191. I tried to ride this road 2 years ago but a bridge was washed out.
    This road also goes thru the Morenci Mine it's a huge open pit copper mine. The mining company will move the road as they access areas the highway goes thru.
    I will continue in a few hours.

I'll continue my post in a few hours.
  10. rrittner

Oddometer:
    When I got to ST Johns, I filled up and had a snack. I was nice to be in the sun again and warming up. The next few pictures are from the ride down to Clifton, AZ along the Coronado Trail. I read some reports about the road being extremely twisty with really tight turns. Was it ever!! Some of the turns were so tight I was down to 10mph and feeling like I was standing on my front wheel, I think the trail was around 80 miles and was super fun to ride.
    IMG_2301.JPG
    IMG_2304.JPG
    IMG_2307.JPG
    FJXM8077.JPG
    Once I hit Clifton, I stopped for a late lunch at a roadside taco stand - very good

IMG_2309.JPG
    GLSW2580.JPG
    From here I road out to a campsite by the Gila River that I had researched online, really nice - and it was warming up.

IMG_2313.JPG EZUX7456.JPG IMG_2315.JPG
    For this trip I decided to use my 3 person tent encase the weather turned bad and I had to live in it for a day or two. I also can bring all my equipment inside, cook etc.

I'll continue my post in a little while.
    swimmer likes this.
  11. rrittner

Oddometer:
    Ok the next section

My route from outside Clifton to Marfa, Tx. Mostly highway, I really like my GSA except on the highway it's tall so if the wind is coming from the side you get pushed around, not a large fairing so you suffer from buffeting. But anywhere else she is fun. I know she will do 80 / 85 all day long no problem but it's not really what this bike is about. I couldn't wait to get to a 2 lane road and slow down and look around.

Day 3 map.png

Not really too much to show for the day, very flat and boring. I did take a few pictures from the camp site. On the south side of Marfa is the Tumble in RV park that has tent sites. https://www.tumbleinmarfa.com/. Tent site are $10 and they have free showers!! And a communal kitchen for use. Not much to look at but for me it checked all the right boxes.

IMG_2328.JPG

And some artwork out front , these posts had really cool cutouts that were lighted at night. IMG_2330.JPG
    Crappy nite pic.
    IMG_2327.JPG

And a short video of the artwork

https://youtu.be/P8PDMRotcwE

I will post the ride from Marfa to Presideo then on to Terlingua and around Big Bend River Road. That will have a lot of pictures.

Attached Files:

12. MEDIC-0372

MEDIC-0372 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice pictures.
  13. rrittner

Oddometer:
    Ok next day. It ended up being a long day I was really enjoying myself and didn't realize this time until I finished riding the River Road.

A map of the beginning of the day. From Castolon I road the River Road around to turn off for Rio Grand Village and then headed north out of the park.

Map Day 4.png

From Marfa I headed to Presidio pretty much a straight shot. This is dropping into Presidio.

IMG_2332.JPG

Got gas in Presidio, and headed out to FM 170. Great road and it was freshly paved.

IMG_2338.JPG
    IMG_2339.JPG
    IMG_2340.JPG
    IMG_2341.JPG
    IMG_2342.JPG
    Got to Terlingua and had lunch - first place that I came across, awesome BBQ, it was really quiet and the owner came out and sat with me asked about my trip. When I'm on my bike I really like these road side food trucks. Especially when it's nice out.

IMG_2343.JPG

Stomach full I headed into the park. So I was planning to camp in the park, so when I was paying my entrance fee I asked for a backcountry permint which costs $10 no bi deal. I was told I had to go to Panther Junction to get that!! WTF like 40 miles round trip. I asked the guy is I could pay him $10 and he could write something on my reciept - nope no can do. Well fuckit we will see where I end up when I need to camp.

I did stop by the Santa Elena Canyon trailhead but it was a crazy crowded. I road up the the overlook and took a break and a few pictures.

River Road was very easy I was fully loaded and had no problems. Very scenic, not very many people on it I did pass 3 people bike backing. And maybe 5 cars / trucks.

IMG_2348.JPG

IMG_2352.JPG
    black 8 likes this.
  14. rrittner

Oddometer:
    Ooops reach my 10 photo limit with my previos post.

IMG_2353.JPG
    IMG_2354.JPG
    Elephant Tusk in the background
    IMG_2358.JPG

IMG_2360.JPG
    IMG_2365.JPG

East end of the River Road. From here I headed north and found a campsite just inside the park boundary. I did pas by Panther Junction to try and get a permit but they were closed. When I'm in a park I don't mind paying the fees I'm grateful our park service is trying to preserve these great places.

IMG_2367.JPG

My camp spot.

IMG_2369.JPG
    So that was day 4 from here I go up to Banderos TX to ride the 3 Twisted Sisters.
    Grasshopper's Ride and black 8 like this.
  15. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice photos and updates with BBNP.

I just got back a week ago from BB and the Texas Hill Country... great place to explore.

Looking forward to the next segment.
  16. Grasshopper's Ride

Grasshopper's Ride Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Such interesting landscape you ride in, so different from where I live.

I am enjoying your photos and ride reports. :-)
  17. rrittner

Oddometer:
    Ok I took the weekend and put my 800gs on a trailer and Drove out past Glade Park which is back behind the Colorado National Monument by Grand Junction. Did a lot of riding and some glamping.
    IMG_2466.JPG
    IMG_2465.JPG
    Ok On with it.
    My route to Banderos, TX. I had 2 days to get there so stopped at a really nice campground on the edge of Amistad Resevoir outside Del Rio.

Day 5 & 6 route.png My Camp site. Got there early and walked around. Would be nice to kayak or paddle board during the summer.
    KPWM7900.JPG
    I had reserved a cabin for 2 nights in Bandera. After 6 days on the bike it was nice to unload the bike, have a bed and shower.
    My Cabin at the River Front Motel. Very nice this was really a treat to do a ride I'd been planning without any of my kit.
    IMG_2384.JPG
    CAGN0136.JPG
    Start of my ride I didn't take too many pictures, I did record my ride so I will post up that video later when I can edit all that I shot. A write up of the ride https://ridermagazine.com/2013/07/08/twisted-sisters-the-texas-hill-countrys-most-famous-trio/
    IMG_2388.JPG
    IMG_2390.JPG
    IMG_2391.JPG

Very fun set of roads super twisty in very good condition. A lot of places were closed, I seem to be in the off season or due to covid. I had the route to myself. Being from Colorado I kept thinking that I would get to a higher viewpoint to take a picture of the road. Just twisty up one side of the ridge and then down the other Fun Fun Fun!!.
    Bandera in the evening was nice to walk to a restaurant from my cabin.

IMG_2387.JPG
    The Texas hill country was fun to ride thru. As I left and headed toward San Antonio I tried to stay on secondary roads so I could enjoy more of it. I will continue tomorrow.

Thanks for following along
    bikerjim2000, ssilliman and akula802 like this.
  18. rrittner

Oddometer:
    Ok I need continue.

From Banderos, I took 3 days to get to Indian Pass. Where I was going to meet up with my family and spend a week on the beach.

My route for the next 3 days

map day 678.png
    Everything up till now I had planned out, so i could link the 3 rides this part of the trip included. From here my goal was to get down to the coast and follow it around to Indian pass. I tried to stay off major highways, and then around 3/4 in the afternoon I would stop and try to find a campground. Funny how I feel in the west we have more open land and finding a place to set up your tent out of the way is generally easy.

Also coming from a central state seeing the destruction of homes and small towns by hurricanes was a real eye opener. It also felt strange not to have hills or mountains around. I am a Colorado boy l need to have my mountains - my sense of direction was way off!!

Awesome food truck in Surfside - fish tacos

IMG_2395.JPG
    Galviston

IMG_2396.JPG
    I like all the oil spots on my jacket from a blown fork seal on the GSA last summer - The air comes up thru the fairing an sprayed me with the oil

IMG_2398.JPG

Seawolf park, thought it was free but it was $15 and I needed to catch the ferry over to Fort Travis

IMG_2399.JPG
    The Ferry XOPL0169.JPG
    YCIH7054.JPG

Fort Travis on the other side, nicely maintained old fort. Was nice to lay out and take a nap.

NMKB0705.JPG
    IMG_2410.JPG

USS Alabama Battleship Memorial

IMG_2411.JPG

Ooops too many uploads next post
  19. rrittner

Oddometer:
    Indian Pass right on the beach, Paddle Board everyday go explore the island across the channel - had to pay attention to the tide.

ISHE9901.JPG
    And my Family

IMG_2418.JPG

I'll post the ride home later - not really a lot of interesting riding. I did go up to the Barber Motorcycle museum, that was really cool and over whelming
  20. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    You're welcome. Perhaps my favorite Jerry Jeff tune. Well, OK, tied with Mr. Bojangles.

Ridin'nFishin likes this.