Going local (and beyond) in Central Colorado

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by rrittner, Apr 23, 2020.

1. rrittner

rrittner Racing for not last

Oddometer:
    Ok lets finish this report. Other than see the Barber Motorcycle Museum I had no definite route planned for the trip home. , So my first stop would be Birmingham.

My Route for the day.
    return day 1.png

The morning that I left Indian Pass there was a heavy rain storm I had to get thru. In Colorado when it rains in the spring it gets cold, and riding in cold rain sucks . So I had about an hour of riding in the rain - but it was still about 70 degrees so it wasn't bad, took me a while to process that, I kept thinking I should later up!!

I got to Birmingham and the weather was clear and warm. Got a hotel for two days. Was really looking forward to going to the museum.

Barber Motorcycle Museum - Wow it was overwhelming, I was told over 1500 bikes. It was suggested that I start on the top floor and work my way down. So I got started and realized after about 20 bike and an hour of time that I need to get a move on. Anyway I decided to visit the few sections that I wanted to first and then visit other areas. So BMW, Eirk Buell, military.

And the one bike I really wanted to see:
    IMG_2426.JPG IMG_2427.JPG

Easily the coolest bike in the whole museum. It's not just the bike its the whole story behind it.
    I'm just going to post a some pictures of the bikes I really liked. IMG_2430.JPG
    IMG_2432.JPG IMG_2433.JPG IMG_2436.JPG
    BMVT4257.JPG BMVT4257.JPG GYKO4905.JPG

I grew up in Indiana and My father had several Porsche 911's usually the T model. I would hang out with him in the garage while he work on them. Anyway we would go to the Can-Am races in Ohio at Road America when Porsche was killing it. This would have been around 1973. I'm not totally sure but I might have seen that 917 race in the Can-am's. Unfortunately the restoration area wasn't open so I couldn't read the description for the car.
    KXIF5774.JPG

I have so many pictures from my visit to the museum. 1 day was not enough time, then entry fee was only $15, I think 2 or 3 days would have been better. The only bad part about the museum was the store - I wanted something unique - small to take back. They had small replicas on the statues that are outside of the museum. I thought ok around $50 - $75 I can fit that in my panniers and protect it with some of my clothing. $500 wow!! yea they are cool but not that cool. Nothing else in the store really caught my eye, oh well.

I spent 3 days getting across to Albuquerque. Nothing really interesting, I had a nice camp site outside of Little Rock my first night. The next 2 days were in rain. I ended up getting a hotel in Amarillo, after a day in the rain I didn't feel like setting up a tent. I was shivering when I checked into the hotel. Got in my room cranked the heat, took a shower. Didn't even try to go out and get some dinner, just pulled out the stove and a meal packet and some snacks. The next morning was more rain. But Albuquerque was behind the storm and the prediction was sunny and warm. I put everything I had on, I almost dropped the bike because I couldn't move I was so layered up. Crank the tunes and just fucking knock it out.
  2. rrittner

rrittner Racing for not last

Oddometer:
    The statues outside the Museum
    QDKZ5849.JPG

My camp spot outside of Little Rock.
    IMG_2445.JPG

I got to Albuquerque early afternoon and got some lunch, Found a camp spot outside of town. set up my tent and dried out. Took a nap in the sun and went for a walk. The area I was in had a mountain bike trail system.

PLSZ7910.JPG
    YCNB6336.JPG
    My final day route.
    final day.png
    Came across this interesting turnoff, enjoyed the view and had a snack.

IMG_2457.JPG IMG_2455.JPG
    And back in Colorado, heading into Gateway and home. IMG_2459.JPG
    and the cleanup.
    IMG_2461.JPG IMG_2460.JPG
    It take a trip like this to make you realize how big our country is. That GSA ran like a top, There were a few times I had her sitting at 90 and flogging her hard - like getting thru New Orleans in the traffic ( I had to show all the Harley riders what the big girl can do, I hate traffic but that was fun. )

Anyway change the oil, new rear tire and all was well. Around 4500 miles total.

Thanks for following along.