Going north on a 50 year old Honda S50 (90cc)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by sarcus, Dec 25, 2018.

1. sarcus

sarcus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Somebody told me to try it. Creating a "higher" temperature. But with every possible door a little bit open... I think the wind has to blow harder also for more circulation. I'll have to accept that it's not going to be better than this if I camp again.
  2. squadraquota

squadraquota mostly harmless

Oddometer:
    Nordkap in midwinter… the very thought makes me shiver. Hat off to you, epic adventure!

Any thoughts about safety? You are in a very harsh environment, and the more north, the lonelier it gets. A simple spill or a break down could get nasty rather quickly.

Be safe, best of luck, looking forward to the next installment!
    sarcus likes this.
  3. norseXL

norseXL Northman

Oddometer:
    Cool, in more than one way!
    :lurk
    sarcus likes this.
  4. sarcus

sarcus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello

I have a lot of LED lights, 2 that work on my 6v system en 2 chargeable, a lot of hot bags( what's the name) . Oil check this morning was ok .still no oil disapeared so the mechanical Parts is still good. I have some spare Parts with me. I drove 135km at 60km/h constant on the boring e4 today . Didn't miss a beat. I hope it will go like this until I'm more south. I'm full of hope my friend.
  5. MrBob

MrBob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sending warm thoughts to a real adventure rider.
    sarcus likes this.
  6. Nurse Ratched

Nurse Ratched Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Considering that the only temperature range I will ride in is between 72 degrees and 82 degrees fahrenheit, my GPS must be operational, my Trail Tech properly configured, and my riding wardrobe always unsoiled, with meal stops only at organic-friendly restaurants...well, it is unlikely I will attempt such a journey.

But you have my sincerest respect and admiration.
    sarcus and dammitdave like this.
  7. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer:
    Awesome trip!
    sarcus likes this.
  8. OrangeDreamCycler

OrangeDreamCycler ...explorer of options.....

Oddometer:
    Man, :p3rry:vardyl
    It is inspiring road reports like this that make me
    All warm and fuzzy on the inside at 0*f. :p3rry:vardy
    Good job, senor. You deserve a Pina colada on
    a tropical island when you have completed
    Your journey. Well Done. Sir.
    sarcus and sledrydr like this.
  9. sarcus

sarcus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone! More updates soon
    norseXL likes this.
  10. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Excellent!
    Is this the S50 with the 90cc Honda engine or 6 volt Lifan?
    How does it fair compared to the CS50?

Ever get across the pond you can try one of my 1963 Honda C95 Benly 150's.
    sarcus likes this.
  11. sarcus

sarcus Adventurer

Oddometer:

Engine is the original one.

But: I've put a 52mm Drp cranckshaft in it and a 47,50mm piston in it. Clutch is 2 plate chinese and a bigger oilpump. Due to carterpressure I've put a original Honda breather that is in place of the oil dipstick.
    Still original 6v Mitsubitsi coilplate and flywheel with advancer. I've changed the head with a 70cc one. But I like the 50cc head setup more.
    Carburettor is still the original oilwarmed one. Camshaft is also the one with highest lift.
    As a 50cc engine the hp curve is at is highest on 10500rpm. Crazy to drive but it's like a two stroke. With the added cc's I made a very large powerband

I'll accept the testride with the c95
  12. sarcus

sarcus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On the 29th I rode to Luleå. Not a very exciting day because from now on I would take the E roads until Nordkapp. The only thing is the temperature here. Yesterday it was freezing and now it was around zero degrees celcius.
    Today I was in no hurry, actually the whole trip I'm not, and did the 135km without problems. Thumbs up for the traffic btw. It's a road that constantly floads from two lanes to one lane. When I was riding on the single lane the cars stayed behind. I arrived at a little place where I booked a cabin. It was 2pm and it was getting dark already. In front of the cabin was a fireplace. The owner told me that they had beautiful northern lights the day before. Damn , one night to long in Skelleftea! But the sky was clear again and the temperature was getting lower. After my tunnbröd with pilsner korv, the best tin sausage, I drank some beers with the owners. The guy, Jens, was since his 9 years possesed by guns. At that age he made his first gun and showed me his collection.
    After the drinks I went to bed but checked every 15minutes the Aurora app and the outside. Still no luck!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The guy had a nice civilian Harley also
    [​IMG]

On Saturday I was going to ride 200km. Last minute I found a place for 29 euro's at the Finnish border in Pello. No way I was going to put up my tent. Maybe on the last day of the year I would do some wildcamp again.
    The first 100km were pretty ok, just below -10. But then, it's a crazy feeling, you feel it changing. Not that I was "freezing" but it was like the cold was a bagpack that I carried along. Then I saw it was -20°C. At 60km/h with the head above the windshield, allright!
    When I'm riding I keep riding. I do stop a couple of seconds for a picture but I keep the momentum. So at the end of the day I did 200km without a proper stop, except... I came across a place I needed to stop! I was at the artic circle! Great feeling I must say. My 50 year old rustbucket brought me at least to this point.
    The last km's were hard for my left little toe but after checking in I could use the Bastu/sauna. It's not my favorite place to be in but I liked it this time. From -20 to + to much.
    They even put my bike in the garage. Very good place.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On the last day of the year I wanted to wildcamp but when I took my tent from the bike the day before it was like a bag of frozen soupvegetables. So again I found something affordable. It was 175km from Pello and I did it again in one shot. Temperatures between -10 and -16°C this time. Man, what a great place I arrived at. Cabin at a frozen river with a little sauna that worked on wood. Fire time!
    After losing 3liters of sweat I compensated it with 3liters of mild beer. Tomorrow a new year and the Norwegian border isn't far away anymore. Happy new year everyone.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On the first day I got up late. It's a long time ago that I hadn't got a hangover after celebrating the new year. After some tunnbröd I packed rhe bike and struggled towards the road. Looks like the men from the snowplowing still sleep. The road wasn't easy to ride. Luckily today only 120km. Every day I have to addapt to these conditions. The first 10km's are the worst but after this I'm back in the game.
    I stopped for a couple of coffees and the lady behind the bar told me there was a storm coming. With 80km to do I just went for it.
    When I Came to the Finnish border I asked a Truckdriver if I could just ride further because I wasn't sure. It was actually not necessary. The truckdriver said that I had to look very carefully for them. They ride fast to get up the hills and won't slow down. Ok, no stress!
    Norway is a tuff motherf... I wanted to make a couple of pictures but the second stop the wind blew my bike to the ground. Without further problems I arrived at the hostel.
    Only 360km to Nordkapp.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  13. btrrtlwtr

btrrtlwtr Adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    what a trip !good job riding in the snow .you are a brave fellow. no way i would do this trip in these conditions. happy new year
    sarcus likes this.
  14. Doloe2

Doloe2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Frick'in cold just just looking at your pics. You should find the guy who rode across Canada in the winter and come up with even crazier ride.
    Thanks for sharing this.
    sarcus likes this.
  15. 3 bike

3 bike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What a trip. something to tell for the rest of your life, I am a little jealous !! good luck and lets hope the lights appear for you.
    sarcus likes this.
  16. squadraquota

Oddometer:
    In your last set of photos there seems to be a little bit of daylight. I thought it would be 24h dark above the polar circle this time of year?

You must be close to Nordkapp by now, awesome achievement! :clap
    sarcus likes this.
  17. rightsideup

rightsideup Get your motor running...

Oddometer:
    Now that's proper ADVriding - much respect!
    sarcus likes this.
  18. sarcus

sarcus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    "Only 360km to Nordkapp". That was a Nice thought

Normally today would be the update of updates. If everything went ok then you would all have seen a picture with me and the Honda at the globe on 71° north.

Not everything goes like planned. But what is a plan on a non-planned journey?
    On the second day of the new year I started the day like the other days. Breakfast, loading the bike and putting on all my wintergear. I installed the gps, put on the extra led light,etc. Contact ON , crane open, searching for compression and .... Nothing! The kickstart just went down without cranking the cranckshaft. Ola, what's this?? From the day to the other.
    Second time I got it running. But the first gear jumped out. If I could film my 10minutes sitting on the bike with meanwhile the engine on idle wondering/considering if it would be ok to ride to Alta (120km) that would be funny!
    So I decided not to go further. It was like this or a broken engine in the middle of nowhere. Luckily I stayed because the day after there was a snowstorm. It was even worse in the Alta region.
    I found a heated garage to work in at the local Esso gasstation. When I splitter the engine I saw the damage. The sprocket from the kickstartshaft, worn. The first gear from the outputshaft, 8 theeth missing. The first gear from the inputshaft, 4 Teeth missing. Happy new year!
    With this new information I called my brother in law. He then went for Parts hunting in my shed. I've collected lots of parts and the parts needed should be there.
    After collecting the three parts he brought it to a friend who sent it fast via his work. I'm getting the parts on monday.

Now we are some says further and I had a lot of time to think about the problem. Because, if I'm honoust, this is something that doesn't happen.
    After some thinking, thinking about the dismantle of the engine etc. I had a look in some partslist and compared to the things I had. ( For the enthousiasts , the s50 gearbox isn't the same as other simular types) . And now I Came up with An idea that's plausible.

To make a short story short ( epic Southpark episode):

When I dismantled the engine I noticed that the kickstartshaft could move a little bit to the outside. Until now I did not think about it. But with seeing the damage you begin to think,think,think,... I searched in the partslist on the internet and found out I was missing a spacer. It's probably still in my cleaning unit at home ... So the S50 replacement kickstartshaft my brother in law sent me has this spacer. Luckily I collected a lot of spare parts over the years.
    My theory is: without noticing this outwards play the kickstartsprocket wasn't always fully intervened. Then in 4 weeks daily driving and using the kickstart a lot it began tot wear. Especially with the high compression it makes. Which affected the first gear from the outputshaft , and that one affected the first gear from the inputshaft. After some time it would hear from itself, and it did after 2600km + the first 500km I rode in Belgium.

So enough engine talk. What's the positive on this breakdown?

- I wasn't riding in the snow storm
    -I've seen the northern light tree nights in a row now, with Yesterday as the best day. It is awesome!! I even could capture it on my smartphone. Not the same pictures as on the internet but it shows to you guys what I've seen.
    - I could rest, enjoying Kautokeino. I visited the Sami museum. The original People living in Lapland. They speak 98% Sami in Kautokeino. The Sami museum has a very Nice Old collection of stuff. I also visited the Juhl Gallery. Beautiful, relaxing place.
    -I can walk around. Maybe not so bad when your body doesn't move a lot.

Some pictures of the puzzle:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The most horrible 20 minutes : searching the guide wheel for the camshaftchain that fell in this crap...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The landscapes and northern lights:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To be continued
  19. Philard

Philard Stop and Go

Oddometer:
    Nice pictures Bram...Sarcus! But not ur engine he!
    sarcus likes this.
  20. squadraquota

Oddometer:
    Good to hear you are ok, but some carnage inside that little Honda. :(

So, hopefully back on the road on Tuesday? Looking forward to the next episode!
    sarcus and mikehi like this.