Going north on a 50 year old Honda S50 (90cc)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by sarcus, Dec 25, 2018.

1. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Just found this thread. Glad I didn't miss it. Great photos and ride report! I love (reading about) long rides on small bikes. :freaky
    sarcus likes this.
  2. Dragonflylily

Dragonflylily One Women -Two wheels

Oddometer:
    You're one tough fella and as all the others have said, quite amazing!
    Your determination, knowledge and positive outlook are refreshingly wonderful.
    Can't believe all that snow! Aurora borealis made it all worth it! Glad you came across some saunas.
    Solo Gato, sarcus and simmons1 like this.
  3. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What a tale! What an adventure! Thank you for taking the time to let us follow along! So glad you finally got to see the Northern Lights! Wish I had caught this report sooner, as I have a journalist friend in Skelleftea!
    Solo Gato and sarcus like this.
  4. Gham

Gham What's for lunch? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not sure how you do it,my hands don't really work anymore when temps are below freezing.Great R/R
    sarcus likes this.
  5. Jim K.

Jim K. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love a big trip on "inappropriate" machinery & this is one in spades. Throw in the "inappropriate" season & you've got a great read.
    sarcus and Bunyip1260 like this.
  6. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Great journey!
    With all the other carnage how's the clutch holding up?
    sarcus likes this.
  7. sarcus

sarcus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Clutch is doing great. Just had a testrun. Now I'll have to sleep a night over it, if I ride immediately 130km to Alta or just stay another day for testing and getting the confidence back.
    Uke, iatethepeach, roadcapDen and 3 others like this.
  8. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    You have the auto clutch and 3 speed...Sitting here reading this in summer, this ride sounds cool and refreshing.
    sarcus likes this.
  9. Philard

Philard Stop and Go

Oddometer:
    No... It isn't a supercub, it's a CS50 with 90cc engine... ;-)
    sarcus likes this.
  10. sarcus

sarcus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sunday the 6th Elisabeth, owner of the place where I stayed in Kautokeino, arranged something. She knew a Sami guy who had reindeer and had a company called " sokki adventures".
    Today It was arround 0°C, so for everybody arround here that's summer. As I didn't brought a full wardrobe with me I went to the place in my big suit and boots. At the place I was welcomed by the owner Aslak and his cousin Inga. Also he brought a troop of little children with him. Even de youngest one had a snowscooter available. How cool is that!
    Today was a working day for them. First I looked how they captured the reindeer with lasso's. After the four animals were captured we brought them outside the fences. The reindeer than were bound to the snowscooter and we went to a place that was a little bit further. At this place they tame the reindeer. As it was a working day I helped. I made a few laps with a couple of reindeer. Some were willing to follow , others were a bit more difficult. After this I could do a few laps of reindeersledding. As it was a oval-circuit you had to have one foot on the leftside. When I did the first run I immidiatly knew why. One: f*ck it goes fast, two: no leaning left while drifting ( really) would result in falling off , three: wear some kind of visor because the reindeer pushes the snow in your face haha. Stopping the reindeer wasn't also very easy btw.
    But what an experience! I had a very good time!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Because I don't know how to post a movie, here's a picture
    [​IMG]

Monday was the day. My package should arrive very soon. As I clicked on the trackinglink I read: at the end of the day. Looks like I had to fill my day. The Esso garage was 2km from the motell so I decided not to go before 6pm. At 5pm my phone rang. Wohoow, it was the parcelguy! As fast as I could walk I went to the Esso and got my parts. Luckily the place was open until 11pm so putting the engine together wouldn't be a problem. After a hamburger with fries I began to assemble.
    I brought a new gasketkit with me the whole trip so re-using the old gaskets wasn't necessary. At 10pm it start for the first time but immidiatly I saw oil coming from one of the pipes that go to the carburettor. No problem I thought, just change the gasketring. At the end I just blocked the ports of the carburettorsystem because one of the pipes had a little hole.
    At 10.30pm I rode out of the gasstation. A big thank you to the guys from that shop! It made this work a bit more easy. Going towards the motell I noticed some minor stuff that had to be sorted. I didn't had the intention to do it the night itself. I went to bed and thought of not going to Alta the
    day after but just do some testing arround the block.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When I woke up the next day I still wasn't sure what to do. I grabbed a few tools and rode a couple of km's to the right and then some to the left. I adjusted the clutch, checked the oillevel etc. Ok, I'm going to Alta. We'll see. When I tied all my luggage on the Honda it began tot snow, big flakes. The weatherforecast showed that in Alta it wouldn't snow. Decesion made, I'm still going.
    At the end of the day I rode 128km and barely didn't wanted to stop to take pictures. Still afraid to kick the damn thing and hearing noices everywhere! And that's a shame , because 40km before Alta you ride in between rockformations. Unbelievable view! The frozen water(falls) were so pretty.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Today , wednesday the 9th, I planned a ride to Olderfjord. 115km closer to my goal. Riding the first 40km out of Alta I figured out why motorcyclists like to go to Nordkapp. What a road, what an astonishing view . Big mountains far away, covered with snow, hairpins and steep climbs .One of the climbs I had to do twice. I hadn't the speed and my engine wouldn't rev high. Down again and by gaining more speed and keeping the momentum through the gears I managed to climb that thing!
    After those impressive views the rocks dissapear and it's just you, the road and the wind. Not a place you want to break down. Just before olderfjord it changed again. Great day and very close to Nordkapp. For tomorrow I'll have to look what the weather is going to be like because it will storm a little bit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

No, that's not a blue eye. I didn't fight with my bike yet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    NSFW, jays100, Uke and 32 others like this.
  11. 1stgenfarmboy

1stgenfarmboy The Sherpa Man

Oddometer:
    If you can give us an address we all will go ahead and mail you our man cards,............ because it seems as you earned them ALL.
    Uke, itlives, thechief86 and 16 others like this.
  12. NorthBayPete

NorthBayPete Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I love when people do big things on small bikes. Respect my friend.
    sarcus likes this.
  13. Gham

Gham What's for lunch? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm really enjoying this :thumb

Great ride report! :beer
    sarcus likes this.
  14. squadraquota

squadraquota mostly harmless

Oddometer:
    :superReindeer sledding...how cool is that!! :super

Happy to hear that brave little Honda is alive and kicking, the scenery is awesome!
    Uke and sarcus like this.
  15. Jetlag Jon

Jetlag Jon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow, what a trip! Really enjoying reading about your journey. Respect. I also have a job where I can only get time off in winter, the thought of doing a trip like this never even crossed my mind. Not that I am now thinking of it.
    sarcus and whatsgnu like this.
  16. TomJoad

TomJoad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow, this ride report is incredible! Some of the best photos I’ve seen on any RR.
    sarcus likes this.
  17. sarcus

sarcus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Leaving Olderfjord the day after wasn't going to work. The wind went up to 30m/s sometimes and at the same time it was snowing . As the road to Honningsvag is mainly next to the coast I didn't want to take the risk. Even if was stupid enough I would be stopped due to closed roads. The most adventurous thing this day was putting a frozen pizza in the oven and some Austrian people getting me drunk with their snaps and +5% beer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

By checking yr.no and 175.no regulary I saw a little window to reach Honningsvag.
    After an oilcheck I started on the icy roads. What a brilliant road! Amazing views, a lot of turns, smaller sections,... all next to the sea. While driving it reminded me on a trip with my '77 beetle me and a friend did to Albania. Simular to the Croatian coast from top to bottom.
    Some pictures of this non-motorcycle trip can be seen here:

https://www.flat4free.be/forum/viewtopic.php?t=125915

Today I trusted the engine a little more and I dared tot take some pictures! This road is one of those roads where you stop for a picture, thinking ow yeah my bike is going to look sick. Then you take off again and after 50m you think about stopping again. Needless to say how nice this would be in the summer. But I still prefer the mountains covered in white and the blue light.
    The best moment of this day was reaching the Nordkapp tunnelen. Only +-50km between me and the Nordkapp now. After I took a couple of pictures I drove into it. 212m down , that's about a steady 9% descent but than a steady 9% up! And this for 3km. The last 200m the engine was screaming in first gear. Once I got out I felt relieved. If the engine survived this than it probably will reach Nordkapp!
    Just before it snowed again I reached the hostel in Honningsvag. Lucky...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30km seperated me from my goal. The road from Honningsvag to Skarsvag was open and the last 13km on the E69 was riding in convoy. But yet again I had to be patient. With a car, 4x4 or bus it was ok to go but after getting 10km closer to Skarsvag I didn't feel comfortable anymore. Heavy wind, steep hills and right corners ,etc. A bit to much for my fully loaded bike. I decided to wait another day. The wheater forecast seemed to be better then.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13th January ,I woke up, looked at my phone but no update yet on 175.no.
    I was eating breakfast, looked at my phone and YES a green arrow on the Nordkapp section! That meant no convoy.
    I immediately got my bike ready, put on my gear and went for it! I felt excited! I noticed I did the good thing by waiting one more day. Less wind and colder. Also the road was less slippery. But that doesn't mean it was more easy. Some sections are like one of the mountain passes in the alpes. Very steep for less horsepower. When I thought the worst was over it was only the start. The last 13km was very tuff. The Nordkapp tunnel was nothing compared to this. The engine was screaming again , mostly in second and sometimes in first.
    Besides an underpowered engine there were priceless views to see. Because I started the day early there wasn't a lot of traffic, so I could stop wherever I wanted.
    And then ,at last I reached Nordkapp! I got up to the globe statue and there were already some Dutch guys with their cars.
    Perfect. I made a picture of them and I gave my phone to one of them. I drove a couple of meters closer to reach the statue, parked the bike and got up the stairs , putting my arms high in the air screaming it out. Full of emotions, full of joy ,... It's only a globe but this was the goal. A special feeling it was.
    After making myself and my godchild a member of Nordkapp I took a look in the nice museum. I didn't watch the movie in the cinema because it became more dark and I prefered some "daylight" to go back.
    When I came out three big busses had just arrived. When I drove of I asked myself if they had the same experience by just reaching this place. I felt the icy ground, the wind, the elevation all fighting against my moped, keeping it going and keeping it straight. But in a bus you're waiting to get out on the next stop. Nonetheless the Nordkapp goal remains the same.

What's next?
    I will enjoy my accomplishment and will return back south again as a happy traveller. Also the days are getting longer and the sun is coming back!

To be continued! Olé!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    NSFW, Honda-50, ADKbeemer and 41 others like this.
  18. mikehi

mikehi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Amazing! Congratulations and well done on a great adventure and report
    sarcus likes this.
  19. no

no dreaming adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's a hell of a ride. The pictures are surreal.
    Uke and sarcus like this.
  20. squadraquota

squadraquota mostly harmless

Oddometer:
    upload_2019-1-13_23-50-45.jpeg

EPIC!!! :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

Congratulations!