Going north on a 50 year old Honda S50 (90cc)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by sarcus, Dec 25, 2018.

1. RosleMogee

RosleMogee n00b

Oddometer:
    What a fantastic journey! :clap If you ride trough Ålesund (Norway) on your way south, then I have spare bed and a garage with tools at your disposal.

- Erling
    sarcus and CROSSBOLT like this.
  2. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Amazing!
    sarcus likes this.
  3. sarcus

sarcus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After the Nordkapp achievement I only could go South again. Maybe I should change the title.

I chose to ride the same roads until Kautokeino. Same route, diffrent direction but as exciting and beautiful. And this time I wasn't afraid to stop and take pictures.
    I really enjoyed riding from Honningsvag to Olderfjord. It was around -10°C and my bike handled the road perfectly. In no time I covered the 115km.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Temperatures went down again the day after. Between Olderfjord and Alta there's a kind of "open" space and there it dropped tot -20°c. I had to stop to put some gloves on. When I arrived at the Alta camp they were happy to see me again. "You're still alive!" Apparently the bad weather I had was even worse in this area. No adventure or pictures today. Didn't had a lot of intentions to stop in this cold.

[​IMG]

No pictures the day before but today I had to. The mountainpass just after Alta is so great! A lot of frozen "waterfalls" and the light-blue light they gave was astonishing.
    Tuff day for the bike as some hills weren't easy. When I arrived in Kautokeino I stopped again at the Esso gasstation and told them Nordkapp was a succes. Aslak told me to call him when I arrived but we couldn't reach eachother. Same, I was willing to do some reindeerstuff again.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After Kautokeino I had to do 160km to Muonio (FIN). An old motorcycle guy that lived there ,but just over the boarder in Sweden , offred me a coach to sleep on. I don't say no to that.
    Just before the boarder of Finland I was stopped for a control. When I parked the bike and waited nothing happened. The Guy that stopped me didn't came closer so I made a sign to ask what was the reason to stop me. He didn't want to stop me. This was only a ttruckcontrol.He only assumed I needed a stop because of the temperature (+-15°C) and roadconditions.
    In Hetta I stopped at a gasstation. I had to tell that I reached my goal while drinking a cup of coffee. Even tot a chat with some flemish people who came in at the same time. When I was almost in Muonio I stopped in the souvenirshop in Katkassuvento. One more stop where I had to tell that I made it to Nordkapp.
    It was already dark when I arrived at the guy his house. Away from the road and on top of a hill. When the door went open I met Holger. A 77 year old biker who didn't had a car. He only spoke English very little and I didn't speak Swedish. So while eating moose ( that he shot himself) we spoke to eachother with signs and yes ,yes, haha, blabla,...we made some kind of conversation. A shame I didn't speak Swedish because the man had a lot of interesting stories to tell I think.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The next day temperature was down to -20°C. Cold! But I had the brilliant plan to visit the Icehotel. That's near Kiruna. And that's +200km.
    I managed to start the bike without choke and let it warm up before taking off.
    -20°C was a dream tot start in, because temperature dropped further tot -25 and sometimes -27. If my plan wasn't brilliant enough already I chose to go to Kiruna via a shortcut. A 150km long road . There was nothing, no traffic, no nothing for the first 90km. Just me getting more and more crispy. After those 90km , finaly! Civilization! I stopped in a supermarket and was there for about an hour. I assume if I hadn't stop I would have been found on the road. With the suit on I didn't feel cold. Only hand and feet
    Were a bit frozen. And that's the danger. You don't think you're cold enough. So I admit I had found my limit there but still decided to complete the 120km that were left. Not after I had put some heatbags in my boots. But it didn't work as I hoped it would work. After 60km I stopped again for coffee and some defrosting" and after another 60km I arrived in camp- Alta Kiruna. I covered 211km, I was frozen and no way I would ride another cm tot see the Icehotel. That was 11km further. But magic happened! After warming up for An hour I decided to go! Clothes back on and off we went in -25. It was worth it. I would not sleep there but the beer they served in the icebar was very good!

Pictures and today's tale in next post below
  4. IronButt70

IronButt70 You don't have to be crazy to do this but it helps

Oddometer:
    DAMN! I get cold just looking at the pics. A truly epic trip. Better man than me for sure. Well done.
    sarcus likes this.
  5. sarcus

sarcus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pictures from Yesterday

[​IMG]

My first sun since long!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Skol!
    [​IMG]

Today I wasn't going to do anything heroic. Only 100km .I had high hopes for the temperature but back in Olderfjord a wise man told me: " when we see the sun again it will be very cold". He didn't lie that's for sure.
    I looked at my temperature meter and it showed -24°C. Here we go again.
    At the winterträffen I saw how Igge used his fire tot warm up te bike. So instead of kicking countless times I took my gasoline stove and tried it, while getting everything ready for the trip. After putting the stove away I kicked it one time and it started immidiatly!
    After 30km I stopped at a gasstation in Svappavaara. There was a pizzeria crowded with workingmen. But there was some kind of "don't talk to strangers policy" . Everybody, black in their face from working, just staring and eating. When I left I decided this was the most depressing environment I've ever seen. Or at Least that was the feeling . After 70km boring E-road I stopped for a coffee , but mostly to warm up as temperatures ranged between -25 and -20. I booked a hostel. I still want to wildcamp but the idea of sleeping in -20°C is a very romantic thought. After a day in this cold you're happy to sleep inside. This morning I discovered what real cold is: when you can see the heat escape from your bare hand like a kind of smoke, then it is COLD.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To be continued
  6. sarcus

sarcus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was also reminded a couple of times to this question I wrote on my gastank back in September

[​IMG]

Check! V
    jays100, Uke, GravelRider and 14 others like this.
  7. sarcus

sarcus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There's a small gap with few "light" And that's when I try to ride. That was ( and still is) more safe
    Uke and squadraquota like this.
  8. sarcus

sarcus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It mostly starts without choke, but since today I'm heating it up with my little gasoline stove
  9. MrBob

MrBob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you so much for taking the time to share your wonderful trip. When you are an old man like me you will remember what you accomplished and smile.
    Wonderful photos, too.
    Uke, ER70S-2, CROSSBOLT and 5 others like this.
  10. MikeS

MikeS Fur shur! Vamos!

Oddometer:
    South of the Border on the Minnesota Riviera
    How are you communicating? So many languages, including indigenous. Obviously you speak English. Do you have other language skills? Is there much English spoken where you are traveling?

Thanks for posting your adventure!
    sarcus likes this.
  11. sarcus

sarcus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    English. That is well known here in Scandinavia. Even most younger generation Sami People I met speak it.

In the center of Sweden I met an old man who immigrated from Quebeq long time ago. His french was a bit rusty but we could communicate.

Thanks!
    Uke, itlives and thechief86 like this.
  12. El Lobo

El Lobo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I take my hat off for you. Riding in cold aint something anyone would do. Is that moped engine generating any heat for your body? Do you carry anything to drink with you? Have you kept it from freezing?
    sarcus likes this.
  13. CROSSBOLT

CROSSBOLT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nordkapp = arctic circle?
    sarcus likes this.
  14. ratmoul

ratmoul Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is an epic ride. and one I would like to do. All others that I have read are done in July and on a BMW 1200 gs. In mid winter on a Honda 90 though? My hat is off to you and you are a better man than I. Looking forward to reading about the continued adventure. Wow!
    thechief86, sarcus and btrrtlwtr like this.
  15. Ericblum

Ericblum n00b

Oddometer:
    Great story. Brrrrr. My first bike was a used S90 back in 1972. Street version. I lived in a rural area so i pulled the pipe and ran it like a dirt bike through cow pastures summer and winter. What a great bike! I could run flat track squares flat out throttle open on the truck tracks around corn fields. Woohoo! Wayo to go Bram and nice buildout on the bike! Who says there aren’t great lightweight adventure bikes? Go ask your Honda dealer for the Super 90 Adventure.
    sarcus likes this.
  16. Chevette

Chevette Adventurer

Oddometer:
    CROSSBOLT and sarcus like this.
  17. sarcus

sarcus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't use any heat from the engine, it's just me heating up the suit.

Sometimes I carry a little bottle of water with me , inside the suit. The same thing I do with the liquid for my lenses. When I searched on the internet what freezing could do to your lenses it wasn't Nice! But now I'm here I have more experience than Google. If you're wearing lenses, there's no reason to be afraid. In minus 27 degrees they even stay good , riding with open visor at +-50km/h.
    Normally I would take my glasses with me but I forgot them at home
    Uke, GravelRider and iatethepeach like this.
  18. sarcus

sarcus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm not the first who does it in winter with a 90cc Honda and I hope I'm not the last. This has been so much fun so far.

If you want to see a real nutter: search 'sjaak lucassen' on facebook. He has done a lot of journeys with his fireblade and r1 around the world. Also to Nordkapp in winter. And now he's preparing his r1 for the north Pole. Impressing to see what he already has modified!
    Mediocre Man likes this.
  19. no

no dreaming adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hope he has flotation! The north polar icecap has been diminishing.
    squadraquota and sarcus like this.
  20. sarcus

sarcus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think he has things covered!

[​IMG]
    Uke, theailer, itlives and 4 others like this.