Going north on a 50 year old Honda S50 (90cc)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by sarcus, Dec 25, 2018.

1. norseXL

norseXL Northman

Oddometer:
    Polar circle - 66'33" North
    Nordkapp. - 71'11" North
  2. AsphaltChaser

AsphaltChaser n00b

Oddometer:
    Amazing trip! If you ever need a bed and a garage near Oslo, let me know :)
    sarcus likes this.
  3. a100man

a100man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for sharing. You are truly a man to be admired.
  4. HighTechCoonass

HighTechCoonass Living the Dream....

Oddometer:
    Brilliant report! Thanks for the link also!
    [​IMG]
    RolyKBiker, Uke, itlives and 3 others like this.
  5. scootermann

scootermann Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am thinking of all the guys in the US that have to have 1200GS to ride to the next state.... kinda puts things in perspective.
  6. sarcus

sarcus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sunday the 20th I started the day slowly. Only 100km to do this day. But still it was -24 degrees. While putting on the luggage I took my Coleman and heated up the engine. One kick and go.
    What a beautiful day it was with the sun well above the horizon. I had already forgotten how it was to be blinded by the sun. When I arrived frozen at the hostel they offred me a sauna. I must say, it felt extremely good! Later that night I searched for northern lights while eating an icecream. The Aurora website showed a big activity. No luck, the moonlight was to bright.

Goodmorning!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Defrosting the toolbox was a great plan
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5h20. Rrrring rrring. The alarmclock rang. Time to get up and see the last bit of the lunar eclipse and "blood moon". It's not my favorite thing getting up this early, but it's something you have to see once.
    It was still -24°C but still to early for the next icecream. I searched a good spot and watched the eclipse. I tried to capture it but it was not so good visable. While the blood moon was showing off I also saw some light northern light above me.
    After an hour I thought it was enough and got back to bed.
    Today I decided not ride because I had been driving 7 days in a row covering 983km in very minus temperatures. A day of rest wouldn't be so bad. The sun was up and shining so I went of for a walk on the lake and forrest. Jokkmokk is not bad at all. To late I discovered that this is the ideal temperature to take one of the icecreams with me. That would have been n'ice.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On tuesday the plan was to ride to a town called Korstrask. I could stay there in the house of a Harley Guy Lars-åke and his wife Païvi. Like every day I made the gpx. file and began tot collect all the luggage. "Today is not so cold", the woman from the hostel said. I Came outside seeing it was still below -20 degrees. Yeah that's allright. I put the Coleman stove under the engine and loaded everything on the rack.
    Korstrask was 140km from Jokkmokk and 40km before Korstrask you have a place called Storforsen. A couple of People told me to stop there.

Wikipedia:
    Storforsen, a rapid in the Pite River. With an average flow of 250 m3/s, the rapids are one of the biggest in Europe. The rapids stretch over a distance of 5 km in which it drops 82 meters 60 of which are a single waterfall.
    Flow usually is highest at midsummer: 870 m3/s.

I did the distance to Storforsen in one time, meaning that I was a frozen snowman again when I arrived. When I saw my temperature meter it showed -28 degrees. Ok , that's the reason! Before the path to the waterfalls there's a hotel. Thank you! A good coffee to warm up and as dessert a lunch. After this I went back outside and followed the paths/small Bridges to the place. And then it's just walking upstream and you are blown away by the beauty of it.

See the cold dissapear
    [​IMG]

Goodbye Arctic circle. It was fun
    [​IMG]

If your visor is frozen , try to cover your face with a cap
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The last 40km were below -25 degrees and I was glad I arrived at Lars-åkes place. The bike even could go into his big garage. If the Honda could speak it would have said : " that was about time" together with a lot of swearing. He had some nice harleys and one with a sidecar.
    Then we got around the table inside his house and sat there for most of the day talking, drinking coffee and tasting whiskey. He told me he knew a nice petrolstation museum and that is was possible to see the day after. A second night staying wouldn't hurt so I agreed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In the morning we went to the petrolstation museum. " Petrolhead heaven" said Lars-åke to it . At the entrance already bonuspoints. Some old VW busses that the owner found in the swedish forests. The inside was even better. The ultimate mancave. Memorabilia from the past, old gasstation stuff, vintage toys, mopeds, other vintage stuff, old and new oilcans,... I'll have to go back a couple of times to have seen it all. The collection is huge, and a little more. A small selection of photos I took

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here I tried a mopedstrut. Apperently this was the solution to freezing glasses/visor back in the fifties and sixties. If it was sealed well the air was trapped and all the other air was blocked.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(De)Freeze!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After the museum I thought it wouldn't be a bad plan to take of the chain and clean it. I noticed the wheel could move to the left and right. I tightened the nut from the rearaxle. It appeared to be just this. But then I wanted to clean the rearsprocket also and noticed the axle was stuck halfway. When the wheel was out both bearings were worn. +4000km fully packed has taken it's toll. Lars-åke contacted a couple of friends to find a pair, we also drove to the nearest city without succes. It ended up in riding to the biltema in Luleå 70km further. I bought 2 pair. You never know. After putting it all together again this baby was ready to roll again. Before going to bed Lars-åke told me the inspiring story of Dave Barr. A Vietnam veteran who lost both legs but didn't find his limits there. Instead he drove around the world with a motorcycle.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dave Barr, picture from the internet
    Story:
    https://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/i...n-amputee-motorcyclist-who-rides-around-world
    [​IMG]

On Thursday I could stay in the Blacksmiths clubhouse in Klutmark. That was about 160km through small roads. I said goodbye to Lars-åke and Païvi. They gave me a brand new fluo jacket because the old one had seen its best days.
    The roads turned out to be great. Temperatures even went to -15°C at one moment! Time flew by and around 2pm I arrived in Skelleftea and waited on one of the members, as the house was a bit out of the center.
    If the petrolstation museum was the ultimate mancave than this clubhouse was the ultimate clubhouse! As you enter there's an instant gasoline smell, there's a bar , even a sauna and a priceless view in the back. Great place to stay and meet some of the members.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To be continued
    boboneleg, Uke, max384 and 22 others like this.
  7. Joris van O

Joris van O Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beautiful pictures and story! You must be the same Sarcus from the 4takt.net messageboard.
    sarcus likes this.
  8. sarcus

sarcus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Correct
  9. TropicalDale

TropicalDale The Adventures of Peter Pan

Oddometer:
    This is my favorite ride report right now. :clap
    sarcus likes this.
  10. norseXL

norseXL Northman

Oddometer:
    A little fun fact:
    Jokkmokk is used in Norway as a word to describe some place way out in nowhere...
    sarcus likes this.
  11. Philard

Philard Stop and Go

Oddometer:
    Bravo Bram...

Flupke!
    sarcus likes this.
  12. Rapturee2

Rapturee2 Una Stamus/Thin Blue Line Supporter

Oddometer:
    incredible ride, thank you for taking all of us along!! :{)
    sarcus likes this.
  13. MikeS

MikeS Fur shur! Vamos!

Oddometer:
    South of the Border on the Minnesota Riviera
    Your moto adventuring is on par with David Barr. I know he has a book "Riding the Edge", but the most memorable read is his riding across Russia in winter. Put it on your read list!
    sarcus likes this.
  14. 1stgenfarmboy

1stgenfarmboy The Sherpa Man

Oddometer:
    It seems to me this is the equivalent of climbing Mt Everest to the motorcycle world ..........

What are you going to do now to top this.
    Uke and sarcus like this.
  15. rightsideup

rightsideup Get your motor running...

Oddometer:
    It's my favourite ride report of all time!
    sarcus likes this.
  16. norseXL

norseXL Northman

Oddometer:
    You should pop over to Lofoten now,
    They got two meter of snow this week-end...
    sarcus likes this.
  17. sarcus

sarcus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the compliments! But I think the're a lot more brilliant ride reports in this section than my trip.
    I discovered I like this kind of winterriding and never thought I would enjoy it for this long.

How to top it? I don't know. I think it's waiting until I wake up bathing in sweat with a new goal in mind . Maybe I'll even try a 125cc .
    Uke, max384, WetSideRider and 4 others like this.
  18. rightsideup

rightsideup Get your motor running...

Oddometer:
    Don't undersell yourself! I find your challenging and perilous journey on an old, slow machine (that you can fix yourself) infinitely more interesting and impressive than any number of RTWs on top-spec ADV bikes.
    I'm inspired to give it a go myself - one day!
    itlives and sarcus like this.
  19. boristhebold

boristhebold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some other reports have great writing, some have great photos, some have both. Some cover far away amazing places (yeah, everywhere is local to someone) but yours has truly caught the full spirit of 'adventure'. I bet 99% of motorcyclists wouldn't ride their bike in wintery conditions let alone go out for a full day (me included)....you take it several steps further. Thanks for taking us along...and safe onward travels. (I'm hoping you take as much day to day care having reached Nordkapp as you did approaching it.)
  20. Firestorm;

Firestorm; Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had a Honda 90 when I was young as well. We rode it in the summer in shorts and T-shirt’s......lol. You sir are amazing. This has been a great post to read and enjoy. If I ever even think of complaining that I’m cold on my bike I’m going to think about this amazing journey you’re doing. And as Boris said above. This is Adventure Biking at its finest.