Going north on a 50 year old Honda S50 (90cc)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by sarcus, Dec 25, 2018.

1. sarcus

sarcus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looked like aluminum copies that the Husqvarna 258 military bikes had. Maybe these guys Will be a the meeting next weekend. If I remembered right a friend made them. I Will ask then
  2. sarcus

sarcus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It had a bullet nose like Hood cut out. But no grill. Inside as much space as an old beetle. Looked like a Ford but headlights were only round. Maybe it was a customized car. I'm now 250km away from the car
  3. dammitdave

dammitdave Long timer

Oddometer:
    ?Could that old car have been and early fifties Opel or Tanus? It's hard to concentrate on that old car when my head is swirling with admiration for your audacity in undertaking this journey. Your ride report vacillates between daring us to call you crazy and blowing us away with the beauty of the far North. My hat's off to you, Sarcus. dd
    sarcus likes this.
  4. Northstar Beemer

Northstar Beemer Face Plant

Oddometer:
    Loved the report and your pictures chilled me to the bone. I've driven Sweden in the winter with studded tires...but it was in a SAAB. With heated seats. Helmets and hats off to a great adventure!

"It's not a vacation if there is no chance of death or serious injury"
    sarcus likes this.
  5. Franque

Franque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe a Saab 96 or 92? Ehh, never mind, it's something else.
    Northstar Beemer likes this.
  6. norseXL

norseXL Northman

Oddometer:
    That car looks like a Ford Taunus 12M.
    sarcus likes this.
  7. norseXL

norseXL Northman

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Stubanger, orv and sarcus like this.
  8. Corneel

Corneel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Swedes and norwegians have for some reason a lot of american cars. I wouldnt be suprised if it was a us car.
    sarcus likes this.
  9. MrBob

MrBob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Many Americans love Volvos. I've owned six of them.
    And I've owned three SAABS, but I'm trying to forget those experiences.
    sarcus likes this.
  10. orv

orv Busted butt Supporter

Oddometer:
    "Ford"
    Pretty sure you've got it pegged. The grill, headlight, steering wheel, panic straps at 2 pillar, the narrow 2 pillar, the raised roof, the heavy duty rain gutter all point that way. Good shot! Perhaps now we can return to the freezing yur butt off ride! Epic! Sorry to fan the flame of the diversion to the mystery car.
  11. sarcus

sarcus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    At least now we know! Couldn't sleep for six nights trying to solve this
    Stubanger likes this.
  12. sarcus

sarcus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My guess: same long distances and need for comfort.

For example: when they speak in miles, it's Swedish miles. That's one km multiplied by ten. So if they say : follow this road for only 2 miles, don't think you're on the wrong path after 4km
    Uke, Northstar Beemer and norseXL like this.
  13. CROSSBOLT

CROSSBOLT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like some of the Deep South US nonsense when getting directions!
    sarcus likes this.
  14. davide

davide Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Simply awesome, what a ride!
    sarcus likes this.
  15. itlives

itlives Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree. The fact that you can disassemble the engine, reassemble it and it works is awesome! The fact that you can ride in that cold of weather shows you are on tough guy.
    I think doing this type of riding is probably better on the little Honda than on a liter bike. Too much horse power would get me on the ground quick in the snow!
    Awesome trip. Thanks for sharing!
    rightsideup, sarcus and no like this.
  16. Philard

Philard Stop and Go

Oddometer:
    This model comes from Ford Germany. It's the Ford Taunus P1 (1952-1962)...
    chuppie and sarcus like this.
  17. sarcus

sarcus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On friday the 8th I started the journey closer to home again. I saw my bike again after I left it behind one of the barns on wednesday. Looks like it had been snowing which meant more grip with the motocross tires. Perfect. This day I was going towards Bolnass. It was only 110 km but it took me six hours. It could be more if I didn't had a "snowside" to ride on. Temperatures climbed up to 0 degrees and after a while they engine reacted strange. Higher temperatures meant heavier snow and then it's also a bit like "glue" . When I stopped it was obvious what the problem was. De snow was surrounding the moped and I couldn't even see the carburettor.
    Later on I stopped again in knåda sport and this time I was Lucky, Arne Kring was in Da house. Arne was a Swedish MX legend back in the days. He loved my bike and while drinking some coffee ( you can notnot leave this store without drinking one cup of it) I talked a bit about the journey.
    Roads from knåda to bollnas were very good and I could gain some speed again.
    Later on the day I had contact with Igge again and told him I was going to change the tires inside the room of the vandrarhem the next day. He told me to wait , he knew somebody. So the next day I could use the garage from a nice MC guy guy called Kenneth. After the tire change I told him we needed to find a pizzeria. It was the international pizza dat after all! On the 1km to the pizzeria the difference with the old tires were huge. Never change a winning team!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Arne kring
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On Sunday I planned to do some smaller roads in the bollnas region. I could say in Alfta at evy's place again and that's only 25km. I made a 80km route bit first I wanted to check the oval track for motorcycle racing that was near the vandrarhem. When I arrived the gates were open and I spoke with two guards. Apperently it was raceday! I could go further with the words : you're our special guest today, have fun! I parked the bike and watched the warming up of the bikes. The races started an hour later. I didn't see the end but I stayed a couple of hours and was happy to have seen this in real life. The first place in the championship was taken by a 17 year old nutter from Holland. Before dark I arrived in Alfta and had great conversations with Evy about the journey again.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Because of the higher temperatures the white was beginning to fade.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The next day I was offred a bed in Gävle by Kaj, a friend from Allan. That's the guy I met for only a couple of hours back in Hammarstrand. The day couldn't be more nice. Almost the entire 140km were smaller roads with at least 1000 of more curves. My confidence returned that day. I even touched the 60km/h mark on some sections. Because the time flew by I could stop for a couple of coffees , a lunch. I enjoyed this day a lot. At least until the gps guided me through the center of the city gävle.
    Again I was very welcome and met a Nice family and their pets. "Crazy biker of the week" I was called and we talked a bit about the travels and about motorcycles, and visited the clubhouse of his motorcycle club. Kaj even watched all the +1000pictures I had from this trip. I think he went to bed exhausted.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After a good breakfast I said goodbye to Kaj and went further. Because the temperatures weren't going to be any lower than minus one I made a 207km trip for this day. Today's destination was kvicksund, the hometown of Igge. He was a kind of pr-manager for this trip. Wasn't it for the Wintermeeting in Kloten I would never had this many places to stay in.
    The first 35km were boring asphalt but then I took the smaller roads. The roads were mainly icy but the more south I went the more you could see the white dissapear. The roads now had 10 conditions in one. Sometimes snow, ice, asphalt, wet, dry, slippery, big holes in the ice, only ice in the curves and the sun was all the time in the eyes. Quite the challenge!
    30km before Kvicksund the landscape changed to green and grey. The road was magnificent and I raced through it.
    When I arrived in the little town Igge took me to a frozen lake. It could be the last time to test his motorcycle on the ice. At the lake he checked if the ice was ok, gave me a gear to use if I fell through the ice to pull me out and he took off on his Tenere. When it was my turn the first two laps I tried were a big mindfuck. After another two or three laps I got more confidence in the spiked tires. I didn't want to be to comfortable so I stopped after those laps and watched how Igge rode his bike like he was riding on afphalt. Back to home we changed bikes and I think I was more confident on his bike then he on the Honda.
    After a pleasant evening I got to bed.
    On friday I'll go further again. I'll wander around one more week before the motorcycle weekend in Vetlanda. And then I'm heading home. This epic journey almost ends

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chicken
    [​IMG]

Igge
    [​IMG]

After the ice riding Igge told me about a new Rune Stone in the neighbourhood. It was lost since the 16th century and recently discovered. They were making a new bicycle highway when a farmer came across a big Stone that was in his way. He's was thinking about how to blow it up until somebody on a bicycle passed by and said it was a Rune Stone. After cleaning and new Paint it's now standing straight up again. The story? Something about three brothers being killed. There wasn't a information board next to it.
    [​IMG]

To be continued
    boboneleg, roadcapDen, Uke and 21 others like this.
  18. Philard

Philard Stop and Go

Oddometer:
    Superb... :clap
    rightsideup likes this.
  19. iatethepeach

iatethepeach Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is my favorite trip report of all time. Also, I really like your La Chouffe hat. Belgian beers rule.

How do you feel about your bike's chain cover? Back on page 1 or 2, it looks like you have a standard non o-ring chain. Do you think it would survive the snow and ice without the cover?
    rightsideup likes this.
  20. sarcus

sarcus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The bike chain cover is a original part on the moped. But it's not perfect. The drainholes easily get filled with old grease and dirt , so the rain/snow water that gets in fills the guard. Maybe a east-german guard like the mz , schwalbe moped is a better option. But after this trip I take the "rally-kit" off and make it look like an original s50 again

Somebody in Sweden told me a o-ring chain is not the best chain in freezing temperatures. I didn't test this so I don't know.
    siyeh, rightsideup and iatethepeach like this.