Going north on a 50 year old Honda S50 (90cc)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by sarcus, Dec 25, 2018.

1. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town...

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    The word epic is generally overused on this web site. But your description of the trip as epic is frankly an understatement. As with everyone else, I am awestruck. Your accomplishment will be appreciated for a long, long time.
    Be safe in the home stretch.
  2. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    just one word WOW!!
    rightsideup and sarcus like this.
  3. Sleepyc

Sleepyc We can't stop here, THIS IS BAT COUNTRY!

Oddometer:
    My boss will be mad, I just spent the entire morning reading your awesome report. I also put on a sweater as looking at your pics made me cold!
    Epic... looks like a lifetime story right here!
    rightsideup and sarcus like this.
  4. jlambo

jlambo Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is a true adventure ride, I've really enjoyed it. No candy ass summer temps or expensive beast of a bike, just you, your ride, the amazing scenery, and of course the kindness of strangers. Impressive, thanks for sharing.
    sarcus likes this.
  5. sarcus

sarcus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On a very early springday I left Kvicksund on friday. The sun was out, the thermometer showed +7 degrees and this guy had to wear his thermo suit. I considered getting in it naked.
    After visiting the recently discovered Rune Stone a couple of days before I heard about a big one in the same village: the Sigurd carving. A well know story about the guy who killed the dragon Fafnir.
    While riding towards the carving I spotted an other Rune Stone remaining. The text next to it was Swedish so I didn't now what the Stone was about. Luckily the plate at the sigurd carving was in English. Then to see the actually carvings I had to climb the very slippery rock. The carvings was bigger then I thought and very good preserved. After almost breaking my leg going down I then really started the day.
    Today's plan was to find and spent the night in a wooden cabin/windshield I found on the web . The're well spread all over the country. But that was still 100km away. Again RouteYou suggested me a nice route. It was a mixture of everything: afphalt, smaller roads and gravelroads. Add the sun to this and you know you have had a good day.
    The cabin was at the place where the coordinates said it would be and it couldn't turn out better. For dinner some crappy rice menu and the campfire was going to be my television tonight. With my little wood saw I gathered a bunch of wood to feed the fire. The fire itself needed some TLC because of the wet wood but then it burned until the early hours.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hard to see but there are a lot of wild Deer on the field
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Waking up early at 7h30am , at least for me, I got out of the sleepingbag. Looked like it was going to be an other springday again. After breakfast I made sure I left the place like I found it and set of to the next cabin. This time 160km away and I had to take two ferry's. Also I had to buy a new wood saw because the old one didn't survive and lost his blade.
    The roads to the first ferry were great. Almost no straight lines , only left and right turns through the forest. This route must be great with a more powerful bike in summer. The timing was perfect. The ferry just had arrived so it didn't take long to go on it. When I got off the boat my gps/smartphone had an empty battery. How was that possible , I started with a full battery and it was connected to the powerbank. After lots of fiddling with the cable and trying to keep it on I took my other phone and with Google maps I tried to Remember the roads to the other ferry. That worked out pretty wel but after the second ferry I stopped at a gasstation to drink and eat and decided to book something around Norrkoping. There was a lot of wind today and I wanted to charge everything and find the problem. With the gps it is more easy to do/find the smaller roads and gravelroads.

Gooooodmorning
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

On Sunday I arranged a bed in the neighbourhood of Boxholm at the house of another motorcycle couple. As this was pretty close to Norrkoping I made a bigger route to it stuffed with small roads. 170km in total. The sun wasn't out today but the Temperatures were still on the plus side and the strong wind was gone. In the beginning I struggled on a kind of gravelroad but with a lot of stones. I had to let the front do what it wanted , if I fought with it I would end up sideways.
    Then I noticed my gps again. It was connected to the powerbank but it was going empty again. After observing it looked like the micro USB connection was one of the causes. So I taped some more duckttape and it worked perfect for the rest of the day. If the use of duckttape continues like this I better consider making a duckttape moped and put an engine in that.
    A good day for riding it was. What do you need more than a 1000 turns, almost no traffic and a good amount of dirty gravelroads to give the bike that adventure look. Now and then there was ice left but the most of it is dissapeared. As the scenery was very nice I had a nostalgic feeling to the snow and cold.
    Around 12 I stumbled on this beautiful place next to a gravel Road. No sounds at all, a fire place , some boats and a priceless view on the lake. I almost was going to call Annicka that I would end the day at this place and wanted to put up my tent. Instead I saved the location and went further. After a lot of gravel I arrived at Annicka's and Enok's house. She has a nice collection old bikes and her husband had an awesome collection of pre war LP records and players ( livingroom ones, suitcase ones) and knitting machines. One of his other hobby's was making wallets out of cowskin. After a pleasant night with a mini wiskeytasting I summerize this day as Great.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6000km mark!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A billion Canadian goose
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nice "patina" Husqvarna from the 20s
    [​IMG]

Funny
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To be continued
    DavidM1, boboneleg, Bors and 21 others like this.
  6. airhead_irl

airhead_irl Airhead addict

Oddometer:
    Ireland (Irlande, Eire, Irland, Hibernia)
    As a C90 rider myself, I commend you on this amazing trip ! Great write up and and fantastic photos. I do realize that it takes a lot of time to post these trips so many thanks for posting :1drink
    Dillard, ScotsFire and sarcus like this.
  7. MrBob

MrBob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you thought about donating your bike to a motorcyle museum when you finish your trip?
  8. sarcus

sarcus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This bike isn't going to retire soon. Used it for ten years and I hope it does ten more:clap
    Uke, orv, airhead_irl and 1 other person like this.
  9. MrBob

MrBob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hope so, too. :thumb
    Iron Cross Junction likes this.
  10. Corneel

Corneel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Suprised at how much snow is gone. Its 15 degrees here too, but sweden ....
    sarcus likes this.
  11. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Ardbeg....a fine choice. Much strength to you as you journey onward!
    Dillard and sarcus like this.
  12. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    9 days and no update? I hope all is well.
    Chevette likes this.
  13. sarcus

sarcus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No worry's! The finale update will come soon. Have to retype it all, everything got lost...

Gr.
    Bram
  14. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    :clap
    sarcus likes this.
  15. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    How do you manage to sit on your motorcycle seat... You know, with your obviously gigantic balls. :lol3

Holy hell man, this is one hell of an epic journey. Going to Nordkapp in the dead of winter on a 90 cc 50 year old bike!?!?!?!!

Thanks for taking the time to write this ride report for us to enjoy. Your pictures and writing are fantastic. You have better written English than many native English speakers! Well done sir. Well done.

Looking forward to the next installment.
    shuckinator, orv, Uke and 3 others like this.
  16. twowings

twowings Comfortably Numb... Supporter

Oddometer:
    The phrase "It's too cold to ride!" ain't gonna cut it as an excuse after this...
  17. Knobbly Studios

Knobbly Studios Knob

Oddometer:
    Amazing trip! When you can, could you tell us about what you took with you on the bike and what worked well and not so well? Just awesome...
    sarcus likes this.
  18. b56tc

b56tc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you consented - and Honda had any stones at all - they'd put that bike, exactly as is including as packed, in their hall of fame surrounded by your pics and narrative.

Inspirational, and thank you.
    sarcus and btrrtlwtr like this.
  19. sarcus

sarcus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It took some time but this is the final part. Enjoy!

The evening before Annicka and Enok told me about the Motola motormuseum. If I wanted to they could take me there. That was no problem for me as this week was just a long run towards the Släskträffen.
    Before we went to Motola Enok showed me an other rune stone. This time a huge one, nicely restored. At least 3m high and there were carvings on all sides, including the top.
    Then we arrived at the museum. You know when it's a good museum if they have cars like Tatra, old saab92 a dkw,... and a great collection of motorcycles. They even had a section for old radio's and television's.
    Everything was mixed together and the set up of some displays were well thought.
    After having Chinese together I made the route for the next Day. I got a bed at Thomas' place in Linkoping, a guy who I met at the wintermeeting in Kloten. Linkoping wasn't so far so I made a bigger route again.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Forget those boring class pictures, this is it!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The next day we said goodbye and I took off. The roads I had chosen today were brilliant again. At some point I was riding in a network of gravelroads. In the biggest network I didn't see asphalt for the next 30km. That's what's it all about! And the best thing besides the gravel was that I was mostly alone. I will miss these remote roads for sure! At one of these remote gravelroads I stumbled across a beuautiful lake with amazing views. I had an instant nostalgic memorie to the "walking with dinosaurs" series. The place looked very "Jura".
    When I arrived at Linkoping I was welcomed by Thomas and his wife. I parked the bike in his garage and noticed it would have good companion with a couple of triumphs and a wartime Indian. Thomas told me it was no problem for them to stay until friday. He thought of driving together then to the släskträffen. He rode a Kawasaki equipes with ski's and I had an overloaded 90cc. It would be a long day for him, but I would think about it. He mentioned that Linkoping was the origin of Saab. They didn't only had made cars but also they make Planes/jetfighters. There was a museum, if interested we could check it out the day after. That sounded good to me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On wednesday at midday we went to the museum. It was our lucky day. At least one hundred children were there. I rather prefer the noice of a two-stroke. Besides that the museum was huge. They had a lot of old saab airplanes from the past and present, a lot of wartime Planes. Some dressed up for landing on water and some were fitter with up to four ski's .
    Planes are not my biggest interest but when you see those veteran (war)planes with the exhaust manifolds that look like art I just like it. I even can't imagine how they did it back in the days. The pilot almost couldn't see what was in front of him and then the second one was shooting around. Crazy.
    In the basement they had a display you don't see everyday. In 2004 they unearthed
    a plane that was shot down by the Russians in 1952. The crew on board had to spy on the Russians, but it never got further than the Baltic sea. They managed to get it out in mostly one piece. So the view you get is terrifying. You never want to be in that plane. Around the display were information boards about this secret operation and also everything they could find in and outside the plane.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Instead of camping in one of the vindskydd/windshields south-east from linkoping I had to spent a day in the bed. During the night my stormachtige didn't feel well and not long after getting up I had to throw up big time. Not much happened this day. The only good thing was that the temperatures were minus and it was snowing. It would hold on for a couple of days. Fingers crossed that on friday I would feel 100% again.

[​IMG]

On friday the stomach was better. Thomas and I got our bikes ready but we wouldn't ride together today. I left before him and we would see each other at the meeting in Nashult. 175km in -5 degrees and a sunny day. Perfect conditions for one of my last real winter rides. Not long after leaving Linkoping the gps sent me on a smaller road and I stumbled upon a burned out tree. It probably was struck by lightning. Never seen it before and I thought it was worth a couple of pictures.
    Just before Kisa a guy had probably seen me coming and made signs that I had to stop. Apperently he was a friend of Annicka and knew about my trip. He offred me a cup of coffee which I accepted. In Kisa I bought food for the whole weekend and in the "System Bolaget" I bought some beers. That's a kind of government shop for stronger alchohol.
    Around 3pm I arrived in Nashult. "MC" signs were put up next to the Road showing which direction you had to follow. After a difficult road I arrived at the camp spot. What a great place this was! In the Middle of the forrest with a good view on the lake .
    I greeted Frank and Steve, the organizers , and had a little chat with the others. Thomas also had arrived an hour before.
    After this I put up my tent. Luckily I still knew how to set it up. I didn't use it for almost two months haha.
    We spent the evening mostly with cooking and drinking. Before midnight I was in my sleepingbag. The stomach still wasn't 100% or maybe the Pocco-minto had to do something with it. It's a kind of hot choclate miljoen with a strong booze in it.

Thomas' easy grease system
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Frank with his funny cap
    [​IMG]

On Saturday the chatting, cooking and drinking(but a lot slower) kept on .In the midday we visited a local market. It was a kind of christmas market were they sold food and other crap. We went back to the forest fast and made a lunch instead. Today spring was back again and all the snow was falling down from the tree's. Big flakes came down, mostly in the back of your neck. When there was a strong wind everybody froze for a second waiting for the snow that wouldn't miss the target: us.
    Meanwhile a guy had arrived with his Husqvarna 256 or 258. It was the real deal army bike with ski's. No gears or footbrake so the feet could be on the ski's the whole time. This thing must be fun to drift through the corner.
    More people joined the party during the day, among them was Pilen. A guy I also met at the winter meeting in Kloten back in december. It was a good evening at the campfire . Steve made us wraps with minced pork meat that he baked on a plate in the middle of the campfire. After a couple of drinks I called it a day and crawled in my sleepingbag.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On Sunday everybody got up early and packed for the return. After saying goodbye to each other I left Nashult. Today I got a bed in Svenljunga at Kent's place. He's the brother of Sören, the Guy I stayed with back in Hammarstrand. Svenljunga happened to be in the middle between Vetlanda and Goteborg. Couldn't be more perfect, as I planned to take the ferry back to Gent on tuesday evening.
    After a great day of riding I arrived in Svenljunga. Kent was allready on the driveway and we greeted each other. He offred me a cup of coffee and was very interested in my trip. He took me on a little sightseeing tour around the town and apparently he had been travelling a lot in the past. Nowadays he mostly enjoys the rides on his first generation gold gold wing, which he live streams on youtube sometimes.
    When we got back to his home I was introduced to his family and I was offred a delicious typical Columbian dinner.
    We talked for hours about travelling and other stuff before we called it a day.

Hamburger breakfast fest
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One more wouldn't hurt.
    [​IMG]

On monday I got offred for the last time a bed in Göteborg. His name was also Kent and I met him at the släskträffen. If he started to laugh everybody had to laugh even if you didn't heared the story of joke.
    I didn't rode straight towards Goteborg but made a bigger route. As usual the scenery and roads were pretty good. When I was almost in Göteborg I saw a beautiful lake next to the road. A smaller road took me down to it. It looked like paradise. Spring had arrived. In summer this must be hell and super touristic but now it was empty and I enjoyed it very much. I took some time to lunch and even did a one hour powernap on one of the benches.
    I met up with Kent again and he told me that I could stay in the mobilhome that was sitting outside.
    During dinner we talked a bit more about the journey that was going to end the day after. We said goodbye and I was wished good luck.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The last day in Sweden had arrived. The ferry would leave at 10pm so I could take the day easy. Before I did my 80km tour I stopped at a motorcycle garage and changed the oil. The oil was deep black after 4500km. Later on the day I discovered that the're a lot of cool roads in the Göteborg area.
    Before I checked in on the ferry I visited the Volvo museum that was next to the port. Great collection of everything Volvo did and does. But I was mostly interested in the older cars.
    I left Sweden at 10pm with a total of 6840km. 6775km of them which are driven in Scandinavia.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once again I was the only passenger. Eat sleep and repeat. More than these two things I can't mention about the boattrip.
    On Thursday I had to get up at 4.30am. The ferry would arrived at 5am in Gent.
    Around 6am I could go down and take the Honda for a last spin. Because it was still so early and I had the whole day I decided to ride to the most far coast town at the french boarder and then all the way back to my hometown. Also the speedometer would turn over to +7000km.
    Big shock already when I left the port. Thousands of Cars, a lot of noice , I wanted to leave this place fast. Traffic would be enormous until I was home. This wasn't the remote Sweden anymore...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When I arrived at my house the speedometer showed 7046km. I was more than happy to take of my smelly boots and sweatshirt and put on some fresh clothes after a proper wash.

So....

This is the end of my "going to the North on a honda50". Maybe the title should have been " Spending a winter in the North". I had other plans but the plan faded fast and I surrendered even more to the Carpe Diem. I had the time and I didn't want to rush things.
    This trip was far beyond my expectations. Reaching the Nordkapp was the goal, reaching it was the tip of the iceberg. The long way up and the long way down were the dessert. Meeting a huge amount of diffrent people along the way, getting a ridiculous number of contacts and beds offred, people that opened their doors , doing stuff besides driving the bike that even weren't on my to do list,.... All this help made the trip more easy and longer, even safed my budget.
    As I mentioned: beyond expectations.

A very BIG thank you to all of them!

This is the answer I gave a Sami back in Finland when he asked me why I did this in the middle of the winter. And I still think the same about it:
    "Give me one good reason that I had to do this trip in the summer"

The end
    MikeS, DavidM1, boboneleg and 38 others like this.
  20. tbird649

tbird649 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fantastic. Thanks for taking us along.
    sarcus likes this.