going on a trip of a lifetime on a motorcycle

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by phantomadvr, Sep 21, 2020.

1. JustNick

JustNick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you go west, which I'd recommend, get to know where the current wildfires are. Some routes may be closed! Also the closer you get the more smoke, obviously, but I've been working in the smoke all week and it gets to you. I'd imagine a long ride through it would not be fun.

In OR at least, you can check TripCheck (link) for current road closures, and you can see road cams all over.
  2. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I had two weeks and was starting in Texas at the end of September, I'd go west - particularly if you haven't done that ride before. I don't think I'd try to get up to Montana though. I was in Utah this time last year (like, right now - not three weeks from now) - on the way from WA I rode with a friend, and we split in Boise - he went to MT and got snowed in for a week. Even if that doesn't happen, and it probably wouldn't, it will be cooler and possibly wet. Plus, you have plenty see/ride/eat in the southwest. Some fun roads coming out of west texas into AZ/NM, etc. You can go west until you get wet, ride the best parts of SoCal and then head over into NV and maybe southern Oregon/Idaho/Utah. before heading home.

Also, unless you want to do a lot of gravel roads, I'd take the Harley - more comfortable, and if you do have problems there seem to be Harley shops everywhere ;)
    MCGMB likes this.
  3. phantomadvr

phantomadvr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have two weeks to plan it , and two weeks total for the trip
  4. phantomadvr

phantomadvr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    just an update. Took my Harley in this morning to the stealership to get it serviced and get it looked over.

I'm concerned because a older guy worked on it put bigger cams and pistons in it; when it starts it's really hard on it sounds clunkly loses battery power. HD dealerhship told me about a year ago the guy should've installed compression release valves and he didn't so they are going to look it over
  5. Cow Boy Brad

Cow Boy Brad brad1098

Oddometer:
    2 weeks, this time of year from TX.

West loop either way including Big Bend, S. NM. AZ up to S. UT., S. CO and home. You can create a route that stays in the lower elevation but will still see 6k+ get electrics if you don’t have any.
  6. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Most of the existing fires should be pretty much under control by October. But check this site for current information on wildfires in the west.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/
  7. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd be reluctant to take that bike unless you can put some miles on it after whatever work is done.

Is the KLR ready to ride?
    tlub likes this.
  8. phantomadvr

phantomadvr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    the KLR needs bags, etc. full service, new chain etc. low miles though
  9. phantomadvr

phantomadvr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Electric what?
    Davidprej likes this.
  10. sasho

sasho Dual Personality

Oddometer:
    Montana is cooling down quick. We have a wave of rain and cool weather coming through. If you are to travel in 2 weeks from now, I'd stick to the lower part of the Western US.

Watch the weather. Trim the overall mileage. Two weeks to travel is not much time at all.
    ZoomerP likes this.
  11. phantomadvr

phantomadvr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah dont think i'm going that way really thinking smoky mountains
  12. Cow Boy Brad

Cow Boy Brad brad1098

Oddometer:
    Heated gear. It is late in the year to be in the high elevations of AZ, NM, UT and CO without. It could be 80 or snowing or both in the same day.
  13. phantomadvr

phantomadvr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Update, took the bike to Harley Davidson dealership in town and did not book an appointment.

I called this morning for an update and they are several days behind schedule so I may not even have an answer until potentially next week.....this blows
  14. phantomadvr

phantomadvr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    another update, went to another dealership and looking at a 2013 Electraglide anniversary edition potato wagon, waiting on the numbers from dealership see if i can swing it.
  15. phantomadvr

phantomadvr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Signing paperwork on 2013 Electra glide tommorow with 6k miles on it
  16. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cool. If you can burn through a tank of gas between now and Monday, you should be reasonably certain that it won't take a dump on you during your trip.

Since that's the bike you'll be riding, that helps narrow down the route to pavement. Are you still leaning toward the Smokies? Big Bend Country can be quite nice in the fall, as can the rest of the Southwest once the heat is fading. The main roads in Death Valley are in good shape if you still want some heat.
  17. phantomadvr

phantomadvr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i'm not a fan of the heat! want to avoid it like the plague! Dont want to ride in snow but little cold dont bother me
  18. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pm sent
  19. phantomadvr

phantomadvr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    what heated gear should i get ? what about luggage? what do i take? i'm such a noob to this

do I need to take electronics other than my phone?
  20. PNWet

PNWet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not to derail the thread, but is there a ride report? GPX tracks?