going on a trip of a lifetime on a motorcycle

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by phantomadvr, Sep 21, 2020.

1. phantomadvr

phantomadvr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Update time: T Minus 12 days: here's what i got

I've been waking up at 5:00 a.m. taking it on 100 mile tests runs to test gear i've ordered:

Observations:

camel back hydration pack= I dont like it, I have to squeeze nozzle with my teeth and suck feel like i barely get any water out with alot of work.

AirHawk Seat= Seat isn't too bad, but it raises me a bit above windscreen so i eat alot of wind...changes ergonomics as well, puts my eyes above gauges, arms a littel higher, legs in wind (in lieu of behind wind blocks) just little things. I feel like stock may just be better

I picked up a gopro7 silver I've yet to test it yet, hopefully that happens this week .

I was riding and noticed the tour pack lights do not work, so took out tour pack liner and traced cable and some jack wagon sliced the cable entirely . Called dealership they agreed to fix it, ( how it left dealership with that not working is beyond me) they either saw it and didn't care or truly missed it.

I start diet tomorrow and cardio...strength training...getting into some sort of shape...being catching up on home work/ watching long way up/ reading jupiter's travels.
    snglfin and ZoomerP like this.
  2. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good plan.

You may have a kink in the Camelbak hose, or the bladder is collapsing on itself at the bottom, restricting the inlet. The only time I've had problems it was one or the other.

I'd recommend lots of stretching before riding & after riding, as well as a little at every stop. When I'm on a long trip, I usually do jumping jacks while fueling. Try making minor adjustments to your position while riding, too.
    WileyRTW likes this.
  3. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ditch the air hawk and get a large sheepskin. There's a few companies that will have them sized for the Harley touring seat.
    yokesman likes this.
  4. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    BTW you can put a bottle of water in your left lower fairing box. Tuck the cover inside. Done it hundreds of times.
    Also if you want, Harley sells a leather pouch with water bottle and storage that fits the rear crash bar. They are left and right.
    Get a left.
  5. BSUCardinalfan

BSUCardinalfan Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    make sure you put the camelback bag in the backpack with the tube at the bottom.
    ZoomerP likes this.
  6. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seems to me a Camelback would annoy the crap outta me on that bike especially with a rider backrest. He's not traveling many miles per day and not away from civilization and not in hot weather. Stopping and smelling the roses and taking pictures looks like part of the plan. Always easy to grab a drink. Has-been for me anyway even doing 1000 mile days
  7. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's what I was saying about a water bottle in the lower fairing glove box. I can't reach the left side because the bike is wedged up against another bike but always do the left side. Right hand on throttle.
    Deer Park 23.7oz Sports flip top. One handed operation. Also a collapsible 2qt military canteen in the Tour Pak. $8 on ebay. At stops refill the Deer park bottle.
    Easy peezy.

Oh and for those moments when you feel like dozing. I keep a stash of Atomic fireballs in the windshield pouch. Pop a fireball. Wakes ya up, keeps ya busy for a few minutes and creates saliva.
    Honestly, It's great you're preparing but you aren't going to remote areas.
    You'll be fine.
    If it hasn't been covered pack very very light, wear Merino wool whatever you have , especially socks.
    Take a spare bike key and alarm fob thing.
    Activate a AAA or towing plan through your insurance company. I'd also only use a credit card , no debit card and call your credit card company and tell them you'll be traveling throughout the US for whatever the dates are.
    Don't want them to freeze your card.
    Also, checking in here regularly and sharing your journey is a must !! KIMG2396.jpg KIMG2397.jpg
  8. Starstruck

Starstruck Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Even though you have several low mileage days built in, I would recommend picking at least a couple of days where you spend two nights in one place. The process of loading/unloading the bike, checking into a motel, getting oriented, etc. is both time consuming and dull. Having to move on every day is not as nice as having a couple of days in one place to kick around, adjust to weather conditions, go back to that museum you really liked, avoid a sudden rain squall, or just walk around. (I once spent five hours a couple of hundred miles southeast of Austin, TX waiting for torrential rain/wind to stop - while all my weather/radar apps showed clear skies with little or no rain/wind. Was planning to get into Austin well before dinner, but didn't actually arrive until very late at night.).

For example, on Nov 3rd you are planning to get up, ride 167 miles to Birmingham, have breakfast and lunch (I presume), check into a motel, get your stuff on/off the bike, stop for gas, figure out where you're going to get dinner, etc. Doesn't leave much time in between to really go and enjoy the Barber Motorcycle Museum - particularly if it is raining, or your hotel is a ways away from Leeds, or there is Election Day weirdness that changes the hours when things are open, or there's some other sight to see, etc. Doesn't leave you much flexibility - particularly since on Nov 4th, you're planning to get up, ride 268 miles to Memphis and do it all again.

Also, allow yourself to change the plan once you hit the road. The best part of this kind of travel is giving yourself permission to do what you want/go with the flow as opposed to ruthlessly following a schedule. (BTW - no matter what your political views are, the week before an election is a great time to stop the bike, hang out in a coffee shop, and just listen to what people are saying about the country.)
  9. phantomadvr

phantomadvr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    update 3 days to go:

got bike back from shop, all lights are now working,

I got a gopro 7 silver, ordered helmet mount it'll be here wednesday

Really really really thinking of getting a garmin in reach just for SOS features. very expensive
  10. phantomadvr

phantomadvr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2 days left and this is what i'm looking at , any last minute advice on the route?

Attached Files:

• trip.PNG
      trip.PNG
      File size:
      193.3 KB
      Views:
    ZoomerP likes this.
  11. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like fun. As long as you're having a good time, continue as planned, but don't avoid turning for home early if it turns into a slog. You may also re-route around weather along the way.

Did you get your Camelbak working better, or decide on another option?
  12. PhotoAl

PhotoAl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wahoo, looks like fun! Make sure you stop by Barber Museum when you go thru Birmingham, if you have time go by Rustys BBQ in Leeds and get some BBQ. I20 from Birmingham to Atlanta can be crazy fast, take I459 around Birmingham instead of going thru downtown on I20. Wish you the best. Keep an eye on the weather, twice this year Ive had to change a trip in the middle both time avoided the weather. The second time was a double bonus - my bike broke down, wound up fixing it and then trading it but missed being snowed in for a week in Montana!

Been thinking about a road trip this fall to Texas hill country.
  13. Sidney

Sidney Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd run all the way east to Front Royal, VA. and run down the Skyline Drive if weather allows.

Enjoy,

Sidney
  14. phantomadvr

phantomadvr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did it!

I left Lubbock headed to wichita falls tx in rain and cold, was 20 degrees that day coldest I've ever been.

An ice storm/snow storm was coming so i had to leave the area within 48 hours..I headed to fort smith arkansas and stayed the night, I checked the weather and by the next morning it was expecting rain and ice. I left Fort Smith and headed to Memphis. I stayed in memphis 24 hours checked it out. I didn't realize graceland was in the ghetto but it is. Beale street was completely empty. The next day I headed to Nashville and went downtown to check out the sites..then a hurricane decided to piss all over me. I had an ice/snowstorm to the west and a hurricane to the east I had to make a safety decision and decided to turn for home. I rode 300 miles through hurricane rains and 40 degree temps...it sucked pretty bad. I lost visibility almost got killed by a truck. I had to pull into west memphis and crashed in a super 8 on MLK.

This went on and on with cold/rain..for days and days through arkansas , east Texas I finally made it home.

I saw some really really crazy things , ill post up some pictures and continue to update this thread when i get more time
  15. Canton rider

Canton rider Canton Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats on making it back safely........can't wait for the pics.
    ZoomerP likes this.
  16. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:

Just read this thread... I can imagine the bad luck you had that week, it was a shitty time to be riding. Still, hope you post up some pics!