Going South On A Stupid Budget And a Broken Bike

Discussion in 'Americas' started by kalachakra, Jun 24, 2018.

1. canoeguy

canoeguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am not sure you are aware of what forum you are on.
  2. rat

rat Dirty Hippie

Oddometer:
    OP...Not sayin' you can't man... but I am sayin' you *shouldn't*. This is a pipe dream, untampered by experience. Scale this way back. Go to Mardi Gras. Eat your way through southern BBQ joints. Ride to Whitehorse. But... dude. You need to come back down to earth a bit. Not all the way. But a bit, for sure.

Real world story here... by buddy's ex GF set off on a life-changing ride down to Mexica all "by herself" (she relied on the good nature of people she met to fix here bike when needed... she got lucky, and, at the risk of sounding crass, having tits helped). By all accounts, it was an adventure through the states. Then she rode into Mexico... and lasted one night before she realized she was in way the fuck over her head.

Back it up. Get grounded. I remember what being 18 was like...
    nk14zp likes this.
  3. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    YOU

CAN

MORE THAN

ONE POST

PER POST
  4. canoeguy

canoeguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK op, I am jumping back in.

You kind of went at this ass backwards and got a questionable bike for too much money in my opinion. You don't want to be told to get a KLR but you should have and honestly should probably fix your bike and sell it to get a KLR. Why? because they rarely break and if they do they are easy to fix with a mountain of very experienced ADV riders to help you. Not too mention it is just better suited for the journey. However, I am confident the bike you have could do it. I would want to have some built up faith personally but it would likely be fine if you comb through it and ensure it is in fine shape. I cant help you with specifics as I have never had one. I have had three KLR's and have ridden a hunk of the trip you want to do on one. Hell, I bet half the forum has had a KLR at some point. That equates to a tried and true bike that we(the community) know everything about.

To Breedlove and rat I would ask...have you guys ever done a multi-country journey before? Its an adventure and a life experience. Just the kind of thing I think a "smart" young man should do. This is Adventure Rider. OP, if you are an idiot with no situational awareness or don't know how to be self reliant to some extent then indeed, you may be screwed.

But if you have a lust for experience and want to see the world then do it. Do it with minimal planning and a paper map. Make your destination a simple "south" and live life. But don't be completely ignorant. You cant just waltz into a foreign country. There is paperwork you must have and often particular insurance. You must use common sense. Start reading the trip reports and look at what people are doing and what is happening.

The world is absolutely an amazing place. You meet amazing people. See sights you never dreamed of. Smells, Tastes and Sensations you never knew existed. Feelings that transcend words. But it will absolutely leave you face down butt-fucked in a ditch if you are an idiot.

Be brave, be smart, be adventurous.
    Kiharaikido, boatpuller and lnewqban like this.
  5. rat

rat Dirty Hippie

Oddometer:
    "if you are an idiot with no situational awareness or don't know how to be self reliant to some extent then indeed, you may be screwed.
    "

I think, in this case... OP would be well advised to maybe scale it back a bit. Nothing in any of these posts has indicated a measure of self reliance, or much self awareness. I'm ALL for adventure, and I've been on many adventures myself... suggesting a slightly more realistic path *to start* is not being dismissive of the idea.
    nk14zp likes this.
  6. jskateborder

jskateborder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't let the fears of others dissuade you, just go for it. You've got youth, time, and freedom.
    I would say keep $1000 saved as a bailout fund. Learning a little Spanish is also not a bad idea.
    canoeguy likes this.
  7. canoeguy

canoeguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, he is in Canada. He could do the warm up in the US for a month before entering Mexico. Of course he will burn a lot more cash in the US.
  8. elron

elron Still Standing Supporter

Oddometer:
  9. Schmokel

Schmokel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Canada to Chile may be a bit of a reach. I'd nominate a little experience before I did a venture like that. But, I did ride through NH into Canada on an '86 XL250 with no phone, no maps, no tools, and original chain. I had maybe about 500 miles of riding experience too. Was no crazy 5,000 mile trip, but it was a solid 14h of riding only using good sense of direction to get me back home.
    nk14zp likes this.
  10. kalachakra

kalachakra Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like you you're cool and yeah that is exactly the plan I'm honestly not too concerned if I don't make it all the way but as long as I can spend the major part of my gap year on this big adventure I'll be happy if that means camping out in a buttfuck nowhere town and fixing my bike for a week so be it and yeah if there is nothing "litterally" holding me back from going I've decided I'm going no matter what, I just wanted to test the waters weight how many people thought it was a bad idea since alot of you guys seem to have exponentially more experience. Just the fact that some people believe it can be done cements this trip in my mind as a guarentee. If any of you guys know anyone who can give me tips and tricks to the Kawasaki KZ750LTD I would hugely appreciate it. I speak fluent spanish and have spent years doing canoe tripping (using only a paper map) so I think I have a little situational awareness. And yeah additionally one other thing I wanted to get was the semantics of the trip, insurance, visas etc so that the trip doesn't get stopped short for something stupid like paperwork.
  11. kalachakra

kalachakra Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't really care about the news the situation in an entire country doesnt describe what the climate in more remote places could be. And I speak fluent Spanish have done extensive map travel and research (though I do need to find a good atlas that will cover all those areas) and after a few beatings yeah my parents know and know that they can't stop me. And as for the roads I think half the fun will be the difference of raods (thats not me saying I'm gonna take it off road but I'm not to concerned with riding on sketchy clifs and dirt roads, thats the fun part) And I don't plan on riding back. The primary concern is cost because I'm planning on doing the trip slow and enjoying the places I stop, like Yosemity, Lima, Cusco etc so I just don't know if I will be able to live 8 months on like $7000 and travel that far even if I camp everywhere I stay.
  12. todd900ss

todd900ss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here’s my .02
    You sound dead set on this summer and I agree. The longer you wait the less likely it will happen. You have already set a hard date, so stick to it and get busy. See if you can find someone on adv that’s in Toronto to give you a hand checking over the bike and show you what to lookout for. I have no experience with a LTD but most of the Japanese bikes of that era are fairly reliable with maintenance, and easy to work on but some parts maybe hard to find easily. KLR??
    There is a wealth of info on youtube for motorcycle repairs and maintenance, use it!
    But remember if the person sounds like a dipshit, more than likely they are.
    Don’t cheap out on things like a battery, buy a good lead acid battery. Yuasa comes to mind.
    Get the bike going ASAP and spend the next month putting as many miles on it as you can close to home. Do a few overnights, set up camp, practice renegade camping. Get a feel for the road and what you need/don’t need.

If you decide to dump the LTD and do a KLR or whatever. Have someone knowledgeable and trust worthy look it over but do your own homework as well.

As for Mexico and SA. Leave it for another time if you have to or do a warm up down the Baja peninsula for a trip at another time. Plenty to see in Canada and the USA, you could spend a entire summer in the South West USA and not see it all. If you run out head the the south east, more good motorcycle roads here than you can shake a stick at....Whatever that means, my grandma used to say that. There are a bunch of people here on adv that will help when they can.
    I’m in metro Atlanta with a garage and tools if you find yourself needing help.

Do it and good luck!
  13. Dr. Breedlove

Dr. Breedlove Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "I don't really care about the news" - use that as your epitaph. The more remote places you speak of...those are where you're most likely get robbed. Not by provincial police and military - who WILL extort money from you at every point in your trip - but from real bandits who carry machetes. Those people are piss poor with nothing to lose. A couple hard guys seeing some white kid bumbling through the countryside on a motorcycle, easy pickings.

But hey, you wanna do it, do it. Maybe nothing will happen. But odds are that you're in for a hard life's lesson.
  14. Dr. Breedlove

Oddometer:
    I've done several multi-country trips. But not through Central and South America during a time rife with violence and social/political instability. Look at the murder rates of the countries this kid is intending to travel through. FIVE of the top 10 countries with the world's highest murder rates are unavoidably on his path. And most of the remaining countries he's going through are in the top 20. Some of those countries are safe for tourists because the tourists are kept in heavily guarded enclaves. But go out to the countryside and you're in for trouble. That little buttercup has been watching too many movies up there in Canada, eh?

You're not actually encouraging this knothead to make this trip, are you? Adventure is fine, but I don't call getting ass-raped in Honduras and "adventure".
  15. kalachakra

kalachakra Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What if I'm into that :D (I'm not) but hey if you want to go travel around the world in your little safe enclaves, to each their own but I have no delusions that the world is dangerous in Canada or South America.
  16. Dr. Breedlove

Oddometer:
    These countries are in the top 20 for murder rates - El Salvador, Honduras, Belize, Guatemala, Colombia, Mexico. Canada is at no. 154.

These countries are in the top 20 for "most dangerous countries" - Colombia, El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala.

These countries are in the top 20 for highest theft/robbery rate - Mexico, Costa Rica, Chile, Panama, Honduras.

Saying "Canada is dangerous, too" is ludicrous.
    benc4liberty likes this.
  17. wavygravy87

wavygravy87 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you want to do it, just do it. And if you don't you may regret it one day.

That said, the old bike may have charging issues and that's why the battery is dead. Those old bikes had some pretty shitty electrical connectors and they can cause all kinds of grief. they get dirty and then get hot and then melt.

Step 1: Buy a good battery and put it in and fire it up. Put a voltmeter on the battery and rev the engine to about 3000rpm. If it hits 14 volts, you're set. Bike is charging and you're ready to roll.

If it stays at 12.5v or barely makes 13v, you got charging issues. First step is to check the plug with the 3 wires coming from the stator. It's likely melted and shitty. If so, cut it out and solder the wires together.

After that, ohm out the stator and see if it's good. If it is, I'd check the wires and connector at the voltage regulator, repair if shitty. Throw a new voltage regulator on it and you should be in business.

Remember the part I mentioned about shitty connectors. Everywhere. If you have electrical issues of any kind, check all the connectors before buying anything. And keep a particular eye on the plug coming from the ignition switch.

Hit the road and have fun. If the fun stops, ditch the scoot and train hop or whatever the rest of the way. Good luck man!:freaky
  18. vintagebob

vintagebob Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  19. Schmokel

Schmokel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Found the LiveLeaker. :D

Iunno. Being apologized to death sounds pretty sucky.
    kalachakra likes this.
  20. lifeofliberty

lifeofliberty If you're bored, you're not living

Oddometer:
    a) Your not "missing" anything. This is simply a state of mind and that is definitely something you can fix on your own.
    b) I've owned several KZ750's - it'll work fine. Follow the advice already given here on what to do / prepare / check.
    c) Don't whine about anything. Just do.
    d) Sounds like you have little bike experience - so get some, asap. Practice, take a class, get some experience.
    e) Don't forget some safety gear. Don't be another statistic or another idiot who thought flip-flops was "good enough". I was young once - and learned the hard way. I'm still paying for it.
    f) People have been riding all over this world on all kinds of two-wheeled contraptions with minimal gear. You can do it on anything and you don't need much to haul around either. Just do.
    g) Take your time, in accordance with your lack of experience. Mexico isn't going anywhere, it'll be there when you get there, so you don't need to "prove" shit to anybody, not even yourself. Most people never "do" anything significant with their lives - you're already at risk of finding reasons not to. Just do - slowly is just fine.

I'll stop here - this board hates long posts.
    Kiharaikido, kalachakra and lnewqban like this.