Going South On A Stupid Budget And a Broken Bike

Discussion in 'Americas' started by kalachakra, Jun 24, 2018.

1. stillwater0302

stillwater0302 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And take canoeguy up on his offer. You'll get some great, real world riding mentorship plus the Barber Vintage Fest has an outstanding swap meet for old (read: KZ750) parts. In fact, the Mid Ohio Vintage Fest (swap meet) should potentially be a consideration. You're really not that far (6:50) in Toronto and you get in a nice shakedown cruise.

https://www.amavintagemotorcycledays.com/
  2. kalachakra

kalachakra Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will absolutely look into that.
    stillwater0302 likes this.
  3. todd900ss

todd900ss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bike mechanics.
    What are your mechanical abilities?

First check the fuel tank for rust.

You need to know how to change oil and check oil level, check the level daily.

Don’t leave on old shitty tires. Check tire pressures and inspect daily. Have tire plug kit and know how to use it. Carry a pump or CO2 inflation kit.

Know what to look for when inspecting the chain and chain wheels. Know how to set proper chain tension. You should be able to find that info in your manual.

Learn how to drain your carburetor bowls in case of bad gas. Install and carry a spare fuel filter. See tools below. Don’t overtighten drain screws.

Check the brake pads, inspect for brake fluid leaks and change the fluid prior to leaving.

Have zip ties, safety wire, gorilla tape, JB quick weld.

Tools. Have all tools needed to remove both wheels. Do you have the bikes tool kit? Not the greatest but usually will work in a pinch.
    Have a JIS screwdriver, google it. DO NOT work on a Japanese motorcycle with out one, you will thank me later. If someone else already has well.....good luck.
    Don’t carry tools that don’t fit your bike.

Get the bike road ready and put miles on it before you leave for good. Not around the block. Go 200-300k out camp come back, inspect for problems and repeat. You really need to shake this thing out good before you leave. Or you’ll be on the Grey Hound.

As already stated, find someone local to help show you what to look for and give you a crash course. Get your hands dirty and learn.

There is a reason everyone is telling you KLR
    One cylinder one carburetor one spark plug= simple
    KZ750 four of everything above= harder to fix on the side of the road but doable, and learn you will!!

Again good luck!
    aptbldr, stillwater0302 and lnewqban like this.
  4. dsrtuckteezy

dsrtuckteezy BLEEDING ORANGE

Oddometer:
  5. kalachakra

kalachakra Adventurer

Oddometer:
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D I'll watch out for guys spiking my drinks
  6. Drzzr1

Drzzr1 Braaap Addict

Oddometer:
    Ok I have a son about your age that has had his motorcycle license since he was 15. The bike I chose for him was a 2015 Crf250l. We paid $2900 for it with a little less than 3000 miles on the clock. I recently traded it with 16,000 miles on it. In those 13,000 miles it needed oil, filters, gas, tires, tubes, chain and sprockets. Just maintenance. This is the kind of bike you should be thinking about to make this trip. The roads are going to be shit. If you break down you may have to push the bike for miles. Other options would be KLR, DR, DRZ. Some kind of rock solid enduro. I’ve owned vintage bikes and they require tinkering. You need reliability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    lnewqban likes this.
  7. jskateborder

jskateborder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's funny that the adv community often idolizes those who have done more with less (bigger trips, less reliable bikes, less money, less prep, etc) but when someone talks about doing something similar, there's a lot of discouragement.
    nk14zp likes this.
  8. todd900ss

todd900ss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. severely

severely almost a noob

Oddometer:
    Your choice of bikes is different, be that as it may, GO YOUNG MAN. Get your bike as prepared as possible; learn as much as possible but GO. Title, registration, insurance, rain gear, tools, etc. Be aware the Spanish you learned may be Castilian Spanish and isn't the same as Mexican Spanish. The senoritas are melting hot so head gaskets are for hot rods. Most of the criticism is jealousy. Vaya con Dios
    Cal likes this.
  10. canoeguy

canoeguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    can we get some pics of the bike? Show us what you are working with here.

BTW here is a oil change video

That is a big 'ol fiter on that bike. Keep in mind you will need extras on your trip. Also, to beat a dead horse, a KLR filter is tiny in comparison:thumb
    todd900ss and stillwater0302 like this.
  11. Johann

Johann Commuterus Tankslapperus

Oddometer:
    Need to see the bike first to confirm which model we are talking about. I´m guessing KZ750LTD chain drive four cylinder but there was also a mild factory custom version of the twin (KZ750 G1 LTDII). There was also the Spectre which was a shaftie, which was a mild custom version of the bike sold as GT750 in Europe.
  12. stillwater0302

stillwater0302 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. Kmart

Kmart Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. Dogscout

Dogscout Wow why and adventure

Oddometer:
    normally I would say something like: If you can make it to East Tennessee then I'll put you up for a few days and we'll tune up your bike and I'll give you lots of wisdom, but that aint gonna happen right now. My tools, furniture and most of my life is in storage and I'm out here as soon as the house sells. Or Hint Hint to someone else out there who can do similar.
    Richarde1605 and 95Monster like this.
  15. canoeguy

canoeguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Already done ;) then I can get him to Alabama. If someone say in Texas could help afterwards...

We have a responsibility to pack as much knowledge and experience into him as we can before he heads further south.

ETA: for that matter, If someone is coming to Barber from up north you could ride with him. We could all rendezvous here and head on down to Alabama.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  16. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    I wasted my late teens and my twenties working too many hours making money I blew on nice cars and nice bikes I did not need when I could have wasted these years traveling the world on no budget and a broken down bike.
    Kiharaikido, nk14zp and jskateborder like this.
  17. aptbldr

aptbldr easy rider

Oddometer:
    KZ750's four-cylinder engine is durable, wide-heavy, and without a kick-starter.
    Protect ends of its crankshaft from impact damage before leaving the US along the road south. They're sticking out there, vulnerable to simple spills and just right tip-overs.
  18. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    You can make the trip on just about any bike. I'm rather concerned that you may have bought a bad bike regardless of manufacturer. It's really not a smart bike to do the journey.....parts will be a pain. By the time you are through you'll be heavily invested in it. Sell it now and buy a bike from a trusted seller. Come on here with your budget and someone will fix you up. Seriously man you need an air /oil cooled single cylinder motorcycle. I've been down south a few times....I've been to the end once. I figure you will need approx. $60 per day to do it well. Some days you will spend $6.....then you'll have bank. The biggest thing is the bike. It needs to be dead reliable. You are asking for advice so that's good. Look around......see what the majority of ADV guys are riding on trips like this......YES...there are exceptions....but there is a reason people like KLR 650's and DR650's.....they get the job done without fuss. First time I set off from California south (1976) I was in a 1964 VW Bug. $400. It got as far as Honduras and I sold it and hitched to Panama. But your machine is a lot more money and it's not operating already.........do something about that....please........
    Kiharaikido, froger and Richarde1605 like this.
  19. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just found this thread. Lots of Debbie downers! lol I am 64 and when I was 19 I hitch hiked to Alaska for 4 weeks and slept under a piece of plastic the whole time. at 20 I bought a Suzuki T500 2 stroke and rode from Calgary to Newfoundland and back. at 21 rode the same t500 to Montreal and back, did things go wrong? yup did people step up along the way to help ? yup, yes the bike had a few problems but I had youth on my side...could I have just walked away and hitched home? yup
    Have all you old farts lost your sense of what its like to be young and full of ideas?
    To the guy who stated all the country murder rates, where does the US sit on that list? If it was me I would get through the US as fast as possible and get to where the real in expensive riding is in Mexico.
    The US now a days will bleed your funds very fast.

I never lost my sense of adventure and still go on long rides in different parts of the world.
    Go..... whats the worst that can happen? Death comes to us all sooner or later.
  20. strom thingie

strom thingie Lost and Proud! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wish I had the cojones to make a trip like this when I was 18. Made it to Canada and thought it was about the best thing in the world and have been wandering ever since (Uncle Sam helped a lot). Good luck with whatever you choose to do.