Going to Alaska 2 up on a 2016 Africa Twin

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Gordon, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Gordon

Gordon MC Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have been getting the bike ready for awhile now. Blast off is coming soon 06/18/2017. Not riding up all the way this time. To make things a bit easier on our bodies and the equipment. We are going to take a ferry from Bellingham, Washington to Haines, Alaska. We are riding to Bellingham on the AT. We have to ride about 2500 miles more or less to get to Bellingham by 06/23/2017. So we will be kind of preoccupied with point A to point B riding so posting may be a bit delayed. Not sure if boat rides are an appropriate topic for Ride Reports. If not let me know I won't post about the Ferry part of our adventure. Is one more Alaska Ride Report to many ? So I guess from reading the rules again on Ride Reports using the LIKE BUTTON is the proper way to let a person know if there is any interest in their Ride Report. Here is the bike. IMG_1148.JPG
  2. HyperRetard

HyperRetard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have a great trip :clap
    Princess12860 and Gordon like this.
  3. #1Fan

#1Fan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool bike! I'd love to hear about the ferry ride!
  4. C185N9921X

C185N9921X Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You will love the Ferry.
    Suggest getting off and just walking around ashore for the short time at each stop.
    Have a great trip!
    Bigsmokindaddy, JeepDawg and Gordon like this.
  5. gssarasota

gssarasota Adventurer

Oddometer:
    please report about the ferry ride.
    brady79, BIG-E, Gordon and 2 others like this.
  6. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    Do a report on the ferry so others that are interested can know what to do. Every detail counts. Keep the rubber side down. Will be following until my iPhone gets shut off heading into Cananda.
    brady79, mike54, Hi-De-Ho and 3 others like this.
  7. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    Notes re the Ferry:
    1. The ramp on to the Ferry is slippery steel. Do not have a pillion on the bike while on the ramp.
    2. Take cheap single use rachet tie downs for the bike. Give them away at Haines.
    3. Take some fresh fruit, snacks with you. The food is just ok, and salty.
    4. Take movies, books, to occupy your time.
    5. If u plan to sleep in the solarium or outside in your tent...send the wife in quickly to dib a spot or lounger chairs. Look at the layout of the boat so she knows where to go.
    6. The boat WILL leave u, dont return late.
    7. Definately, get off the boat and explore though.
    2mstone, lukasteam, german996 and 6 others like this.
  8. Ivanhoe-2001

Ivanhoe-2001 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Took the ferry on the way back between Haines and Prince Rupert. Really enjoyed the ride. Had a cabin so more like a cruise ship. The ferry takes you places a big cruise ship cannot go so you see more on the shore line. Keeps us posted. ic
    Hi-De-Ho, Migolito and Gordon like this.
  9. Gordon

Oddometer:
    So this is where I made the Ferry Reservations. I made reservations early so I could get a sleeper cabin for Toni (Antoinette) same person who is my wife. The best damn motorcycle partner I have ever had. Reason for the cabin happy Toni makes for a very happy Gordon. If you know what I mean https://bookamhs.alaska.gov/book/journey/journeySearch/ :D This is my 3rd trip to Alaska. Once on a 1990 R 100 GS/PD solo, once on the 2009 HD Road King 2 up Toni was my Co-pilot . Once solo on the 2009 Road King mostly just for somewhere to go and to be in Alaska for the Summer Solstice which was in 2016. Also there ain't nothing like a ride to Alaska to make you feel alive. Most fun I have ever had on 2 wheels. All the other trips up north were up and back on the bike.This is the first time for a Ferry ride.
  10. Migolito

Oddometer:
    Imo, cabin is the way to go. Btw, u will ne able to access the bike on sporatic basis while underway.
    MaddMatt and Gordon like this.
  11. C185N9921X

C185N9921X Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Info from Migilito is accurate.
    You will have a nice long ride to Prince Rupert and then shorter hops to Ketchikan, Wrangell, Petersburg, Juneau, and onto Haines. Great ride. Big boat, smooth inland waters mostly. Money well spent and no wear on the bike , etc.
    Can't wait for your RR and pics.
    New Africa Twin is super nice too.
    Gordon likes this.
  12. twowings

twowings Comfortably Numb... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Buon viaggio!
    Gordon likes this.
  13. Backlash

Backlash Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    more notes:

-some tiedowns and wheel chocks are available but you will have to be in line early to get them
    -have a strap to keep the kickstand from pivoting
    -put the bike in 1st gear and bungy tie the front brake
    -make sure the bikes near yours are tied down well as they can fall into yours if not
    -the floors have a raised round shape where the hold downs fasten--these are also slippery as they hose down the floor
    -if possible bring a nylon cover for the bike
    -you can go down and check the bike at most stops
    -bring some binoculars to see the whales
  14. Project Mayhem

Project Mayhem Moto Aficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to it...and the pictures of the stop where you and Toni 'pay your respects' to my spot on the Denali. :lol3
    Will you have a Spotwalla (or the like) page where we can keep track of you?
    Gordon likes this.
  15. manfromthestix

manfromthestix Lost in Space Supporter

Oddometer:
    -bring some binoculars to see the whales

Yeah! When my kids were little we took a trip from Wyoming to the PNW and rode the ferry to Vancouver Island. My 2nd-grade daughter was excited because her class had "adopted" some killer whales and she planned to say hi to hers. I said sweetie, the odds of you actually seeing the whale that you adopted are very, very small... She said well, I am going to see it and say hi to it, so she took all her paperwork with pictures of the identifying markings for "her" whale. Damned if we didn't see it... Twenty-five years later she still talks about that and she now understands the infinitesimal odds of that actually happening.

So yeah, enjoy your trip and NO, there can't be too many Alaska Trip RRs!

:lurk
  16. Gordon

Oddometer:
    No Spotawalla. I will try to keep this RR updated the best I am able. Respects will be paid to your spot on the Denali. Hope to see you when you are in "The Last Frontier." :jack
  17. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really like the ferry idea, and the cabin... :photog

Have a safe, fun trip. Looking forward to the RR.
    Gordon likes this.
  18. Migolito

Oddometer:
    Ferry Cabins: Quiet, warm, comfortable, private, don't smell like sweating passengers= I'm retired and have options...Me.
    Ferry Solarium: Noisy, Communal, hot, smelly,I like adventure, but....= familys on a budget...I'm too curmudgeny.
    Ferry Deck: WIndy, cool, semiprivate in your own tent, smells like ocean, unbelievable views=Adventurer...Me on a good day
    manfromthestix and Gordon like this.
  19. Gordon

Oddometer:
    Three days and a wake up !!! Then it is saddle up !!!
  20. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    How much is the ferry ride with/without a cabin, I'm a luddite trying to figure out their secret handshake list of ports and boats :photog
    Gordon likes this.