Going to Alaska 2 up on a 2016 Africa Twin

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Gordon, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Gordon

Gordon MC Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here is a couple more of them. IMG_1276.JPG
    Passim likes this.
  2. Gordon

Oddometer:
    Yep it's darn tuff work but I will continue to persevere ..... :photogI thank you for the well wishes.
    Passim likes this.
  3. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have enjoyed reading your RR...I forwarded the link to my buddy who rode with me this year who has a new AT...he loves the bike. Ride safe :thumb:thumb
    Folly1, Passim and Gordon like this.
  4. Gordon

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Glad you enjoyed it. I likewise have enjoyed your RR's. Take care and keep on rolling...
  5. Gordon

Oddometer:
    Two fellas came up from PA near Scranton rode up and are heading back today. 07/17/2017. One on a HD Electraglide the other on a Goldwing. IMG_1287.JPG
  6. Gordon

Oddometer:
    I changed my oil yesterday didn't have a new oil filter will purchase one and spin it on maybe today. Either way new oil is better than old dirty oil. I purchased a dirty oil receptacle from Walmart $10.00, 4 quarts of Rotella T 15W40 oil. Drained out the old oil put in the new oil. The AT needed all 4 quarts to come up to the mid point on the dip stick without a filter change. I know the RotellaT ins't the recommended viscosity but I have been running this stuff for years in many different motorcycles without any ill effects. So have many of my motorhead motorcycle enthusiast friends. Truck Stops and Walmarts always have this oil makes for an easy find on the road. So I have no doubt the AT will be just fine on the RottellaT oil swap. I took the used oil empty oil bottles and some cardboard I scavenged (to catch the splashes and drips) to a recycle drop off site in Fairbanks. I also left the dirty oil and receptacle. Here is the address and phone number to the nearest Recycle Drop off Site I could find. It is only about 5 miles or so from downtown Fairbanks. 455 Sanduri St, Fairbanks AK. The 800 number is for information to all recycle drop offs in Alaska. The 907 number is the number for the site I used myself. 1-800-253-2687 or 907- 459 -1482. No photos of this process you are just going to have to take my word on this one. :-)
    LM15, EZMoney, black 8 and 3 others like this.
  7. Passim

Passim Still here

Oddometer:
    Gordon likes this.
  8. Passim

Passim Still here

Oddometer:
    A good man always looks after his horse.

Got through reading your Road King RR, very much enjoyed it. :thumb
    Gordon likes this.
  9. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome quote! I'd like to use it whenever somebody tells me my bike is too clean :lol3
    Passim and Gordon like this.
  10. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Alaska is the 'beez kneez' for hospitality.
    Tewster2 likes this.
  11. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to hear you are enjoying the AT. I would love to take mine to Alaska, but I think Japan is just a bit too far away. If it weren't for my semi-lame left arm getting super fatigued in stop-n-go traffic, I wouldn't have considered the DCT. Now that I've been riding a DCT AT (OOPS, just outed myself!!) for awhile, I've had a bit of a 'paradigm shift' you could say. Press, lean, roll-on, roll-off, look where you want to go.....riding is still pretty much the same. There are times when I miss a manual clutch, but those are few and far between, which is counter to what I thought before the purchase (and what I thought for the first few days!). The plus side is that things like corner entry speed, taking the proper line, potential road hazards, etc are all that much more keenly in focus. If you absolutely have to do the shifting, there is the manual mode with paddle shift on the bars, and you can override with the paddles during any mode. I know the DCT is not for everybody, but I've seen some pretty hard-core manual clutch guys change their tune about it after taking a test ride. Another aspect is that the clutch is always feathered during both up and downshifting as well as throttle chopping, so you and pillion won't ever experience helmets bumping together :-) . I understand how this doesn't play into some rider's philosophy and never will, but since one view was presented, I HAD to bring the devil's advocate. :nod
    rbsride365, OneAUout and LM15 like this.
  12. Gordon

Oddometer:
    He was with the group however not sure how he stayed so clean..
    Passim likes this.
  13. Gordon

Oddometer:
    Met a fellow at the MC show in Cleveland Ohio with a handicapped left hand. He has the DCT model and loves it. I just don't think the DCT would be for me. Unless of course that a DCT was the only way I could still ride. Then a DCT would be in my garage for sure.
    Passim likes this.
  14. Passim

Passim Still here

Oddometer:
    Well thank you, don't wear it out now.
    By the way... your bike is too clean. :D
    Gordon and Tewster2 like this.
  15. Macdogg

Macdogg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great report looking forward to the return home portion of the ride.
  16. Gordon

Oddometer:
    So today was just riding from Fairbanks to Haines Junction. I am spending the night at Mount Logan Lodge nice place. Here are a few photos of my resting place for the evening. IMG_1293.JPG
    EZMoney and Passim like this.
  17. Gordon

Oddometer:
    The view... IMG_1294.JPG
    rbsride365, EZMoney, bobw and 2 others like this.
  18. Gordon

Oddometer:
    The room IMG_1289.JPG
    Passim likes this.
  19. Gordon

Oddometer:
    My trusty steed , resting comfortably for the night. She will be ready for another hard day of battle.. IMG_1296.JPG
  20. Gordon

Oddometer:
    I can't believe you read my Road King RR without any photos. I do hope you enjoyed it just the same. I might spring for the upgrade then the photos will come back to life. Hopefully...