Going to Alaska 2 up on a 2016 Africa Twin

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Gordon, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Passim

Passim Still here

Oddometer:
    I knew this fella, back in 1990 he bought a new Harley Lowrider, couple years later him and his wife went up to Alaska and back on it, he said they only had about three days without rain in that whole north country, everybody congratulated him on his achievement, which was all good and proper, but I always figured his wife shoulda got the brass ass award for doing that whole trip up there and back on a seat not much bigger than a vhs tape.
    The Lowrider was a beautiful bike, but he traded it off the next year on a new Road King, I think she had something to do with that.
    2004ret, bobw and Gordon like this.
  2. Gordon

Gordon MC Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hello from Bismarck, North Dakota. Got stung by a White Faced Hornet today on the neck. Then it went down my shirt and stung me 3 more times before I got the bike stopped. Then I took off my jacket helmet and my 2 shirts. That son of a gun was still alive biting and stinging me at the same time. I have a big swollen area on my neck from the first sting. After being stung maybe 5 minutes later my tongue went numb for awhile. My neck actually feels like it is bruised. That was one mean azzzzzzz bee for sure. I killed it though so that made me feel a little better.
    JdFan, Bigkeeper, 68vette and 5 others like this.
  3. Gordon

Oddometer:
    A Small Dinosaur Museum on RT. 2 in North Dakota can't remember the name of the town it is in. IMG_1312.JPG
  4. Gordon

Oddometer:
    These 2 covered wagons were donated by some locals to this rest stop and Dinosaur Museum. The AT is still mine.. IMG_1311.JPG
    EZMoney, bobw and Passim like this.
  5. Gordon

Oddometer:
    A few shots of the North Dakota landscape.. IMG_1308.JPG IMG_1309.JPG IMG_1310.JPG
  6. Passim

Passim Still here

Oddometer:
    That definitely belongs in the " That Sucks " category.
    Gordon likes this.
  7. Gordon

Oddometer:
    So today was a gas station and rest stop kind of a day. I rode from Bismark, North Dakota to Baraboo, Wisconsin or about 648 miles. I don't usually keep track of my miles. However I am fairly certain I have been in the 500 mile a day camp quite a bit this return trip as I will be back home tomorrow afternoon or early evening. I left Fairbanks , Alaska on 07/18/2017 today is 07/23/2017 MAPS says the distance from Baraboo, Wisconsin to Fairbanks, Alaska is 3273 miles. So if I divide 3273 by the number of days on the road to cover that distance which 6 the average miles per day is 545.5. Some days I covered more ground than the average like today some days I covered less. Someone should check my figures because I am road weary and drinking instant coffee from the tap hot water. This darn Motel doesn't have a microwave in the room and I am to lazy to fire up my camp stove. Last trip I went to Shamrock, Texas a place I had never been this time I decided to go to Baraboo, Wisconsin because it is some place I had never been. Riding on the Dempster Highway is also something I had never done going to the Arctic Circle is also something I had never done. Lots of first time events on this ride. I will tell you something else I haven't done in a very long time and many road trips on my bikes. I haven't spent the last night on the road in a Hotel or Camp Ground since I don't know when. My last trip to Alaska before this one was last year on my Road King. I rode straight through from Shamrock, Tx. to my front door which is 1242 miles. Then after riding the Cabot Trail last year with my friends I rode my Road King from Sydney, Nova Scotia to my front door which is 1433 miles. On the Sydney to Home ride I did stop in a Rest Area and take a 30 min cat nap under a picnic table. Then continued on my way. Maybe all nighters are a thing of the past for me now as I just did not feel like riding that last 558 miles home. So I am here waiting until morning to finish this motorcycle ride. I am sad that it will be over soon. I hope everyone who read this RR or followed along enjoyed themselves as I enjoyed having you all with me on my adventure. I will post some photos when I get home and start the process of unloading and getting the AT ready for our next ride together I really like this motorcycle. She makes me smile and clap my hands.:clap
    Racerlarry, Folly1, bobw and 10 others like this.
  8. 2004ret

2004ret Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Enjoy your ride day tomorrow while you firm up plans for the next big ride - stay safe!
    Gordon likes this.
  9. Passim

Passim Still here

Oddometer:
    Gordon it's been a pleasure following along, it's hard to believe only a few days ago you were in Fairbanks. As for those other trips, 1433 miles and 1242 miles, I must say those numbers are staggering to do in one day, kudos.
    I'm looking at the Africa Twin myself, there's so much to like about that bike.
    Gordon likes this.
  10. Gordon

Oddometer:
    Not all the big mile days were completed in 24 hrs. My friend and I along with my wife as a passenger on my R 1100 RSL him on his K 1200 RS did one official Iron Butt Ride a Bun Burner 1000 which is a 1000 miles in 24 hours. Not certain of the length of time for my all nighters but the mileage is correct. Thank you for following along. It is hard for me to believe as well but here I sit in Baraboo, Wisconsin...
    Passim likes this.
  11. Passim

Passim Still here

Oddometer:
    24 hrs or not it's still mighty impressive, even epic, I've never done more than around 800 miles in a day.

EDIT- Sorry I forgot to include your friend and your wife in the kudos, so kudos to your friend. And kudos to your wife.... sometimes women are a lot tougher than a lot of folks think.
    And again it was my pleasure to follow along, thank you.
    Safe ride home.
    Gordon likes this.
  12. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    Most miles I've done in one day was from Kissemmee, FL to San Antonio, TX... rather than an Iron Butt, it was more to beat the storms hitting the Gulf Coast (Houston area) in the summer of 2016...
    bobw, Passim and Gordon like this.
  13. Gordon

Oddometer:
    One of the reasons I purchased the AT other than it being a wonderful motorcycle is the fact it is pretty easy to stand back upright after a tip over. Every one of my motorcycles present and past have all had a dirt nap. Motorcycles for the most part have only 2 wheels sooner or later most of them will over.
    Passim likes this.
  14. Passim

Passim Still here

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry black8, I didn't realize you had responded to me, insomnia has me sitting here wide awake now, again. So now I will answer you back, I don't know how far that is between those two places, so I google mapped it, it says 1170 miles, to just say that is impressive, is really a massive understatement, to me those kinds of miles is epic.
    Well done.

Gordon I added some to a post above in case you missed it.
    black 8 and Gordon like this.
  15. 68vette

68vette Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have enjoyed your RR ! Just curious, did you replace the stock seat.? Looking forward to taking my Twin to AK next year. Safe travels
    Jeff
    Gordon likes this.
  16. Gordon

Oddometer:
    I bought the Touratech Seat it is a very good seat however it was pricey both sections pillion and rider will set you back about $1000.00.
  17. Gordon

Oddometer:
    Some photos from my final day on the road. This sign is at a Rest Stop in Wisconsin on I-94 just outside of Baraboo going east. A bit of history of the area. IMG_1313.JPG
    Passim and EZMoney like this.
  18. Gordon

Oddometer:
    The AT is a murderous sort casualties countless insects and 2 birds. I believe that there is a lane the width of my AT from here to Fairbanks that is insect free. If a person is fortunate to find my exact path to Alaska. I truly believe that they could make the trip without ever killing a bug with there motorcycle or helmet.
    tremor38 and Passim like this.
  19. Gordon

Oddometer:
    Bird feathers stuck on the AT from a collision with my foot and the AT. IMG_1314.JPG
    CavReconSGT, Passim and EZMoney like this.
  20. Gordon

Oddometer:
    My last meal on the road before returning home Just happened to be breakfast I do love to eat breakfast. IMG_1316.JPG