Going to Alaska 2 up on a 2016 Africa Twin

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Gordon, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Gordon

Gordon MC Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very sound advice
  2. Dirt_Dad

Dirt_Dad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gordon, glad to see you are home safe. Enjoyed reading the ride report. It was a pleasure meeting you at the Breeze Inn back in Seward (I was the guy with two Teneres).

Funny you mention doing the Translab. That's next on the agenda for my us, too. But not until next year.
    rbsride365 and Gordon like this.
  3. Gordon

Oddometer:
    Nice hearing from you. Thinking about doing a Trans Lab ride at the end of August. I was done falling down however Toni wasn't so as you can see from my RR. We had a dead stop parking lot tip over......:muutt I guess if we ride on 2 wheels we are never done falling down...:hmmmmm
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  4. Gordon

Oddometer:
    Yes the Road King is a beast when it takes a nap. That bike has been on its side twice in its life. My AT won't lie down flat the Touratech Bags hold it up but the bags do show the abuse.
  5. Gordon

Oddometer:
    You will only have your memories to sustain you later in life..Make really good ones... IMG_6304.JPG IMG_1318.JPG IMG_6323.JPG IMG_6619.JPG
  6. 2004ret

2004ret Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Could not agree more with your comment about making great memories, plus surrounding yourself with great family and friends! All the best!
    Gordon likes this.
  7. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    :thumbup
    Gordon likes this.
  8. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the ride along. Wonderful commentary and pictures. Glad you got home safe and sound.
    Gordon likes this.
  9. Whitbylad.

Whitbylad. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gordon likes this.
  10. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm with beware of clueless debarking passengers.

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk
    Gordon likes this.
  11. Dirt_Dad

Dirt_Dad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I saw that in your report and you are absolutely right. We had our trip tip over before we met you in Seward. Just like you, it was at 0 MPH. At least on this one there were two guys who had my wife's bike back up before I could even park. Wish they were all that easy.
  12. BoyBlueRider

BoyBlueRider n00b

Oddometer:
    This looks to be a good read. I don't think there could ever be too many Alaska ride reports. Thanks for sharing.
    Gordon likes this.
  13. horseiron1

horseiron1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent!!!!! Thanks for sharing :clap
    Gordon likes this.
  14. Gordon

Oddometer:
    My pleasure, Heading out the first week of June 2018 destinations Dead Horse then Inuvik going to try and ride both the Dalton and the Dempster end to end. Solo trip this time around. Glad you enjoyed the RR.
    bobw likes this.
  15. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    BTW...it appears that a lot of the AT windshield supports are breaking. My buddies broke halfway up the Dalton last summer and Honda told him to pound sand. Many others have the same problem.
    Gordon likes this.
  16. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan from Scottsdale Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just bumped into this RR. I was interested because I own a AT and I am riding the Alcan5000 this August. I've did it in 2006 and again in 2010. I rode a KTM 950 those times. I'm going to ride a KTM 690 this year. I am surprised you two did so well using those tires in mud. In 2010 I used Mefo Explorers and the front was just terrible in the mud. I used two sets of TKC 80's in 2006 and they were much better. I would use those again even though I would require two sets. I have Mefo's on my AT now, but they must have changed the design of the front tire because it vibrates and makes a lot of noise.

My wife rides two-up on my AT, but she would NEVER take a trip with me like that. She might fly in and tour a little bit then fly out again but that is about it. We have a Winnebago we trailer my AT behind, which is pretty much as far as she will go so far. Anyway, your bride is pretty special! You are a lucky guy.

Thanks for the report.
    Gordon likes this.
  17. Gordon

Oddometer:
    I knew they had the potential for breakage. I had the GPS mounted on the upper brace so I left it. I just ordered the lower GPS mount and installed it before leaving in case the windshield brace did break. It did break while we were on the Denali Highway so I remounted to the lower mount. Windshield brace is still broken. If it breaks on both sides I will get it welded or replace it. Until it does and if it does I am going to leave it as is.
  18. 68vette

68vette Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Camel Adv offers a windshield brace for the AT
    I’m ordering one for my AT before I head up this year
    misterk and Gordon like this.
  19. BMWBUD

BMWBUD I couldn't hack it. Back on two wheels.

Oddometer:
    Great RR. Thanks for spending the time and effort to let us travel with you. BTW, it was made better by the obvious love you have for each other! Good on ya both. :clap
    Gordon likes this.
  20. Gordon

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up on the Camel Adv. windshield bracket brace I just ordered myself one. Glad you enjoyed the RR