Going to Alaska 2 up on a 2016 Africa Twin

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Gordon, Jun 12, 2017.

1. manfromthestix

manfromthestix Lost in Space Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some years ago my son and I rode to the Canadian Rockies from Lander, WY ending in Jasper, Alberta, Canada (with a trip a bit further to Miette Hot Springs). On the way we stopped at Golden, BC and stayed a couple of days sight-seeing. Golden is located where the Kicking Horse River joins the Columbia River and the Columbia is a really big river at that point. If I remember correctly, Golden was as far as the ocean-going steamers/paddleboats could go upstream on the Columbia and they were 1,500 river miles from the ocean. That's a helluva river.

I'm a geologist and one of the marvels of geology in the area of your photo are the "scablands". It took years for geologists to figure out the morphology of the area (how it formed) because the scale of the erosional and depositional features was so large it initially made no sense. They finally pieced together the story to discover that an ice dam had formed across the Columbia during an advance of the continental ice sheet and it held back a massive freshwater lake. When the ice dam suddenly gave way an absolutely stunning amount of water was released which caused all the massive fluvial features you see today. I think geology is cool but I may be somewhat biased :D.
  2. Gordon

Gordon MC Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, we are in Haines Junction for the night after a very enjoyable Ferry Ride. I can't seem to download any photos but all is well so far. We are heading to Dawson City in the AM. Post some photos of the Ferry ride when I am able. Cheers..
  3. Gordon

Oddometer:
    Staging to board the Ferry in Bellingham Washington P6230037.JPG
    Passim, misterk, Hi-De-Ho and 3 others like this.
  4. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto
    Hi!

I will be following y'alls RR! I have been to Alaska a couple of times and plan on doing the ferry for the first time on the way back the next trip. We have a moto just like yours and do long term traveling as well. Just curious, have you upgraded the suspension on your moto? I am leaning toward installing a Progressive spring on the rear. Thanks!

Donnie and Modesta
  5. MotoMigrant

MotoMigrant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA or Celje, Slovenia
    Just curious, what ferry company did you use and how much for a bike/person? Some of the ferry prices I looked at blew my mind! (expensive)
  6. gssarasota

gssarasota Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do u need a passport to go on the ferry?
  7. Gordon

Oddometer:
    Haven't done anything to the suspension except move the preload on the rear shock up 3 clicks will take it one more click higher tonight see can we keep her from bottoming out on the ever so rare occasion. The suspension seems to work pretty well as is. Just needs a bit more preload on the rear for us. I weigh about 185 lbs geared up wife keeps her weight a secret. Bike is loaded and being ridden 2 up. Handles very well seems to me Honda has done a fine job.
    Tewster2, Passim, german996 and 3 others like this.
  8. Gordon

Oddometer:
    I'm not really certain if you need a Passport to board the Ferry we used ours as ID's to check in. However you will need a Passport to enter Canada if that is in your plans. You will also need a passport to re-enter the US leaving Canada on a return trip.
  9. Gordon

Oddometer:
    The Ferry is a bit pricey I have ridden to Alaska and back a total of 3 times from Ohio. I chose the Ferry to put less wear and tear and the equipment and also less wear and tear on my wife and I. When my wife and I rode up double it took us 12 days to ride to Alaska also took us 12 days to get back home. So we saved time by taking the Ferry. 5 days to Bellingham and 2 days and 15 hours on the Ferry less than 8 days to cover the same distance. My wife is also flying back home so she has more time to enjoy Alaska. The Ferry for 2 people in a private cabin and the motorcycle cost $2402.00 we paid this in advance the Ferry has been booked since 12/06/2016 as well as some of our hotel stays. Toni's flight was also booked at the same time.
    misterk likes this.
  10. Gordon

Oddometer:
    All tied down and ready for transport. P6250108.JPG
    Passim, Hi-De-Ho and 9Realms like this.
  11. Gordon

Oddometer:
    This is the cabin where we lived while on the Ferry. You can also sleep on the deck which will save you some dollars. Sorry folks my wife ain't gonna sleep on no deck. So we forked over the cash for privacy and comfort. P6230066.JPG
    Passim and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  12. Gordon

Oddometer:
    P6230067.JPG
    Passim, misterk and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  13. Gordon

Oddometer:
    P6230068.JPG
  14. Gordon

Oddometer:
    A village on the shore while on the Ferry they set off fireworks and got all the eagles flying about. P6250118.JPG
    Squily, Passim, german996 and 3 others like this.
  15. Gordon

Oddometer:
    A view from the Ferry P6240085.JPG
  16. Gordon

Oddometer:
    To some up the Ferry Ride it was worth it. My wife and I both enjoyed the voyage. The ride to and from Alaska is also worth doing I am glad that we were able to enjoy both forms of transportation.
    Passim, Hi-De-Ho, bobw and 1 other person like this.
  17. Gordon

Oddometer:
    One last few from the Ferry IMG_6169.JPG
    Squily, Passim and RevyRider like this.
  18. Gordon

Oddometer:
    The bikes are off the boat and everyone is headed to Haines Junction then parts further north. IMG_6172.JPG
  19. Gordon

Oddometer:
    We spent the night in Haines Junction at the Raven Inn nice place moderately priced good breakfast. The next morning off to Dawson City raining off and on had reservations at the Bunk House bare bones accommodations nice owner very motorcycle friendly. Has a medium pressure wand for cleaning the mud off of the bikes to use. They also have a platform for performing light maintenance on your motorcycle. We even left our Karen Bag with him while we headed up the Dempster to Eagle Plains then on to The Arctic Circle. Good place to stay will stay there again.
    relichunter, Tewster2 and misterk like this.
  20. Gordon

Oddometer:
    The Bunkhouse. IMG_6224.JPG
    LM15, LTRyder, Hi-De-Ho and 1 other person like this.