Going to Alaska 2 up on a 2016 Africa Twin

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Gordon, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Gordon

Gordon MC Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Toni snug as a bug in a rug IMG_6436.JPG
    CavReconSGT, Passim, misterk and 2 others like this.
  2. Gordon

Oddometer:
    Me looking at the mountains and watching it rain. IMG_6435.JPG
    EZMoney, Passim, CavReconSGT and 3 others like this.
  3. Project Mayhem

Project Mayhem Moto Aficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    You sir are a rock star...exact spot or not, I thank you for thinking of us and letting the road know that I will be avenged (or at the very least the ADV community will display their collective displeasure). :beer
    Really glad that your ride was without incident and while the weather may be less than fully cooperative I sincerely hope you're both having a GREAT ride.
  4. Gordon

Oddometer:
    So it appears my Garmin and the Touratech Locking Mount were a bit to much for the bar above the instrument panel. The vibration seems to have broken one side of the windshield support bar. Fortunately I already had a Touratech Handlebar mount installed on the AT. I just moved the GPS from one mounting bracket to another. Not an easy job if a person doesn't at least bring some basic tools.Photos of my Tool Kit. IMG_1234.JPG IMG_1232.JPG IMG_1231.JPG IMG_1230.JPG
    Squily, Passim, CavReconSGT and 2 others like this.
  5. Gordon

Oddometer:
    Couple more items I seem to always carry reason for bringing along is I always seem to use them. I also have a bead breaker a friend of mine designed and makes they work well. Also on board is a foot lb calibrated torque wrench for the rear axle nut after a chain adjustment. I kind of figure that 70 lbs ft of torque on the rear axle nut has been pretty well thought out. So who am I to decide not to torque that baby to spec. Included is a tire pressure gauge a tire pump and a flashlight. IMG_1229.JPG IMG_1236.JPG
    CavReconSGT, LM15, bobw and 1 other person like this.
  6. Gordon

Oddometer:
    Problem solved IMG_1233.JPG IMG_1235.JPG
  7. misterk

misterk Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gordon, great report, thanks for taking the time to do this. You have the perfect amount of explanation with great details and great pics. Looking forward to more. Looks like you have the Manual Trans AT? Are those Touratech panniers?
  8. Gordon

Oddometer:
    Yes we are riding the Manual Transmission AT. You are also correct about the Touratech Bags.
    misterk likes this.
  9. Gordon

Oddometer:
    A Rock Star !!! Hey mom I finally made it. Took a bit longer than I had anticipated. I just had a birthday on June 29th it was my 64th. Better late than never is what I've always been told. A great ride is being had by us both.
  10. Project Mayhem

Project Mayhem Moto Aficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    Happy belated birthday! :beer
    Gordon likes this.
  11. Gordon

Oddometer:
    So we have been staying at the Cantwell Lodge for the past 2 days. Drying out and resting up a bit. The Lodge and restaurant are an oasis in the wilderness for the weary traveler. $82.25 a night for 2 people. That is an excellent price !!! The hours are a bit different but if you call or stop and talk to someone in the Lodge the cook is a good choice. He is in room 1 of the first building. They will call the owner and if a room is available you are in. The breakfast is really good too. Oh before I forget there are BEARS prowling around here. Yesterday a BIG BROWN BEAR was heading towards the parking lot of the Lodge unnoticed by me. Until an IMG_1238.JPG Alaska State Worker Truck stopped and said Hey !!! there is a BEAR over there. Don't you see it ? I looked up and sure enough definitely a BEAR. At which time the BEAR turned around and started heading back into the bush. I don't like BEARS they frighten me. My uncle traps nuisance bears for the West Virginia Wildlife Management Service. He carries a 50 caliber pistol with him. He says sometimes he wishes for a larger caliber sidearm when dealing with the really bad ones. So there you go. IMG_1240.JPG IMG_1237.JPG
    CavReconSGT, Passim, bobw and 4 others like this.
  12. mike54

mike54 You don't get me

Oddometer:
    That's an excellent price. I've always camped in the park when I was up there. Never investigated the lodges figuring the prices were sky high. When I was there in 2004 we were stopped on road for construction south of Coldfoot and a bear wandered by. The construction workers climbed up into their vehicles while all of us on motorcycles sat there looking like meat on a stick. The bear was up to road about 100 yards and didn't seem interested in coming our way so it was pretty much a non-event.
  13. Gordon

Oddometer:
    Eagles are cool P6250122.JPG
    CavReconSGT, Squily, Passim and 3 others like this.
  14. Gordon

Oddometer:
    IMG_6259.JPG The Dempster
  15. shojac

shojac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Was anything open in Paxon or is it all closed up now. Used to gas and resturant there
    Gordon likes this.
  16. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    Hope you and Toni got a chance to dry out before getting back on the road. I was lucky to get only two days of rain while in Alaska...
    Gordon likes this.
  17. Gordon

Oddometer:
    There is a Chevron open also Tesoro. The Chevron sells a small selection of groceries and gas station food. The Lodge is open I posted the schedule. The breakfast is killer. Not to sure about the rest of the menu as breakfast is all I have tried.
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  18. Gordon

Oddometer:
    Dried out completely now we are in Fairbanks I think the temperature may have hit 80 degrees Fahrenheit.
  19. Gordon

Oddometer:
    So today we decided that we would ride up the Dalton to the Arctic Circle. So that is just what we did. The Dalton was dry dusty hard packed high speed gravel and compacted dirt. I have to tell you that much more of the Dalton is paved than I expected. That was disappointing to say the least. I can see how the Dalton would be a bear to ride if the road surface was wet and muddy however, when dry I would venture to say almost anyone with basic motorcycle riding skills on any motorcycle could navigate as far as the Arctic Circle. To end the day we rode back to Fairbanks to our hotel which is where we are now. The first two photos are a section of the Dalton. IMG_1250.JPG IMG_1249.JPG
  20. Gordon

Oddometer:
    Here are a couple more photos of our day 07/05/2017 IMG_1247.JPG IMG_6490.JPG
    CavReconSGT, rcan08, EZMoney and 13 others like this.