Going to Alaska 2 up on a 2016 Africa Twin

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Gordon, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Gordon

Gordon MC Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Replaced them in North Dakota just outside of Steele. I just had them put on stock dealer take offs from a zero mile AT. They have worked fine so far. Shipped the K60 rear and the Mefo Explorer home. Deal with defective K60 when I get back home.
  2. Gordon

Oddometer:
    Some photos on the ride down to Seward, Potter Marsh Bird Sanctuary, Anchorage, Turnagain Arm, Chugach National Forest, Primrose and Seward. IMG_6547.JPG IMG_6548.JPG IMG_6549.JPG IMG_6552.JPG
  3. Gordon

Oddometer:
    IMG_6556.JPG IMG_6560.JPG IMG_6564.JPG IMG_6566.JPG
  4. Gordon

Oddometer:
    Toni likes flowers and cruise ships.. IMG_6567.JPG IMG_6573.JPG IMG_6574.JPG
  5. Gordon

Oddometer:
    A little history on the Alaska Flag IMG_6604.JPG
  6. Gordon

Oddometer:
    Walked on a trail to the edge of Exit Glacier today. 07/11/2017 IMG_6612.JPG IMG_6616.JPG IMG_6619.JPG IMG_6624.JPG
  7. Gordon

Oddometer:
    Some more photos of our Glacier Walk on 07/11/2017 IMG_6635.JPG
  8. Gordon

Oddometer:
    My girl was looking SEXY today, Right ? IMG_6634.JPG
    Tideline77, Folly1, Migolito and 4 others like this.
  9. Gordon

Oddometer:
    Here we are just Grinning Like Two Cheshire Cats. IMG_6630.JPG
    Folly1, shuckinator, Passim and 9 others like this.
  10. Gordon

Oddometer:
    Laundry day.. IMG_1264.JPG
  11. Gordon

Oddometer:
    So what does this sign even mean ? IMG_1265.JPG
  12. mike54

mike54 You don't get me

Oddometer:
    Clueless tourists crossing the road to get to or from their cruise ship. :D
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  13. Gordon

Oddometer:
    Hey yea that could be it...:jack
    mike54 likes this.
  14. Gordon

Oddometer:
    Went to the village of Seward walked around and had a meal. Also took a couple of photos. IMG_6653.JPG
    bobw and Passim like this.
  15. Gordon

Oddometer:
    Catch of the day for a charter out of the Port of Seward. IMG_6646.JPG IMG_1266.JPG
    RevyRider likes this.
  16. Gordon

Oddometer:
    Appetizer... IMG_6652.JPG
  17. Gordon

Oddometer:
    Dead stop parking lot tip over ooooops. IMG_1270.JPG

Attached Files:

EZMoney, CavReconSGT, Passim and 2 others like this.
  18. 2004ret

2004ret Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well now that you have the AT fully broken in with the tip over (always a matter of when not if!) and having travelled substantial distances, would appreciate hearing your assessment of the pluses and minuses of Honda's relatively new offering. Your ride report suggests that you and Ms. Toni are very pleased with AT. On that note, I complement the two of you for finding a way to share a passion for long distance motorcycle riding - you are both very fortunate to bank such experiences! Ride safe on your return.
    bobw, Project Mayhem and Gordon like this.
  19. Gordon

Oddometer:
    We both love the bike, I only wish Honda would have given the AT a 6 gallon gas tank instead of the 4.9 gallon tank. You have good range if you keep the bike under 60 mph. We have gone 230 miles at speeds 35-45 mph. Highway speeds 70-80 mph you need to start looking for fuel around 165 mile mark. The forks look to be covered and the fork seals protected from dirt and grit. My advice would be to get yourself some Fork Sox installed immediately if you plan on riding this bike as intended. After riding across the Denali Highway from Paxson to Cantwell (which is a nice ride and worth doing). Both of my fork seals are leaking. I can get home with them the way they are however, this does put a crimp in my ride. The stock seat is terrible. I put a Touratech seat on both for me and the Toni, expensive but worth the money in my opinion. Don't waste your time with the Honda bags. I bought all 3 , sold the side bags before we left, going to sell the top bag when I get back home. As you can see Touratech makes bags for the AT but so does Jesse, either one of them is a good choice IMO. The suspension is good enough for the way I ride the bike , it handles well even fully loaded 2 up. The front forks are compromised because of the oil loss still no real problems so far. You just have to be a bit more careful and deliberate. The engine is a beautiful thing Honda gets an A + from me. Some guys like the automatic or whatever its called, shifting a motorcycle is what riding a bike is all about. I own the manual shift model. Never ridden the auto shift bike, don't even want to. The 21 inch front tire works great. The bike has a feeling of being well planted and easy to handle on any type of surface except the snot - like clay on the Dempster Highway when that road is wet. Worst stuff I have ever been on while riding a motorcycle. My advice if it is raining on the Dempster; don't attempt the road. If you get caught in the rain on the Dempster pull over and wait it out or you will more than likely fall. The AT is a wonderful machine it is the only motorcycle I have ever purchased new that really needs nothing except good bags and a better seat to do anything I want to do on a motorcycle.You also might want to add a set of 60/40 tires or maybe even 50/50 tires but thats about it.
    LM15, EZMoney, bobw and 7 others like this.
  20. 2004ret

2004ret Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gordon, Thanks very much for your reply. Seats seemed to be always an issue, surprised a little about your experience with the fork seals, but I do very little 2 up riding. The Mrs. will only join me once a year in the sidecar rig on my birthday. She is still a wonderful lady, just missing out on a few things. I read portions of your ride report tp her last night and how much Ms Toni enjoys the experience - still trying to loosen her up - it is working albeit slowly at times. Honda does make excellent motors and motorcycles. In my past, I have ridden San Diego to Prince Rupert, ferry to Haines and return via Whitehorse and the Cassiar to San Diego, on a '89 Transalp, no issues at all. Next trip San Diego to Homer (2011) with the Father in law who wanted to Halibut fish for his 90th. The '85 GL1200/EML sidecar rig made the trip for me, ran like a top. Can't say enough positive about the Honda products, and all the great service that they have provide me and other family members. But, maybe time to upgrade to the Africa Twin, and I really appreciate your candid comments. Safe riding for the remainder of your trip. Are you ferrying to Valdez from Steward, and riding east over the Thompson Pass? Very scenic riding. Stay Safe!
    brady79, EZMoney, Gordon and 2 others like this.